Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

At this stage, is there any point to purchasing a PlayStation 3?

• 75 results
    roborobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By roborobb

I'm considering buying a PlayStation 3 as I'd like to play Journey and Uncharted games 2&3. Is that enough to consider laying down around £180 + games?

I also never played the Shadow of the Colossus game or ICO and would love to experience that. Also hey, MGS4.

But at this stage of the console cycle, is there any point buying a new console?

(for context, I own a PC, Xbox 360 & Wii).

Thanks for your advice.

jhudson3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By jhudson3

I recently traded up my Xbox 360 for a PS3 mainly because PS3 is pumping out more console exclusives than Xbox 360. I got the 60 GB backwards compatible one and replaced the thermal paste and fan so that it will last. If you have never owned a PS3 then it is definitely worth buying just to have the older console exclusive games.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By Video_Game_King

Depends on whether or not the next system will be able to play PS3 games.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By zombie2011

I'd wait for the next console or at least a huge pirce drop to around $150 or something.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By JoeyRavn

@Video_Game_King said:

Even so, you may want to avoid getting a new system at launch. It's not usually the case with console, but look at handhelds. @RoboRobb, if the exclusives you haven't played yet are appealing enough to you to justify the purchase, go for it.

Toxeia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Toxeia

Pawn shop IMO. Long as they let you put it through its paces at the store and they give you a warranty of some sort I'd say it's fine.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By scarace360

Ya why not.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#8  Edited By FLStyle

Yes! There's plenty of cheap quality titles that you wouldn't have played yet.

Whitestripes09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By Whitestripes09

Well after reports saying that the next Sony console wont have backwards compatibility with PS3 games, I would say yes.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By WinterSnowblind

I'd say no, we're too close to the next console cycle. Even if the PS4 can't play current gen games, the PS3 will take a massive nose dive in value when that's released and you'll be able to get the games for next to nothing.

SarjuTheRapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SarjuTheRapper

@Whitestripes09 said:

Well after reports saying that the next Sony console wont have backwards compatibility with PS3 games, I would say yes.

this man speaks the truth. and it doesnt hurt that most of the exclusives arent so bad

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12  Edited By Sackmanjones

Depends on your money situation. I mean 250 is a good chunk of cash but it's not totally unreasonable

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By McShank

dont wait for the next console.. just get the ps3 now.. they wont drop to a much cheaper price anytime soon and those games are fun. Do it!

DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By DoctorWelch

I bought a PS3 about 2 years ago for the same reasons, but I have had it for 2 extra years than you, and being someone who has an Xbox, Wii, and high end PC I would say just wait. Within the first three or four months of me buying my PS3 I played MGS4, Uncharted and Uncharted 2, part of a Ratchet game that I was not too fond of, inFamous (which I think is actually a pretty repetitive and bad game so I will prbly never play the second one), and Demons Souls. MGS4, Uncharted, Demons Souls, and Blu Ray were the real reasons I bought a PS3 but considering Dark Souls also came out on 360 that is not a real reason to buy one anymore.

All in all I have found that I rarely ever turn my PS3 on unless I am watching a Blu-Ray. So if you already have a Blu-Ray player or do not feel like getting into the Blu-Ray market than I say just pass for now. Yeah there are a few good exclusives, but if the $250-$350 plus all the games is a really big deal for you than I would say no. You are missing out on a few good games, but I would say you have waited this long to join the party, you might as well wait a year or so when the price is most likely cut in half.

IF ANYTHING! Wait until after E3 because who knows, a price drop could be coming, you never know.

hughesman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By hughesman

I actually think that picking one console at the beginning of a generation and buying the other towards the end of the generation is the way to go. You wind up spending less and there's a ton of cheap back catalog games to check out.

Oh and by the way, i'm sure you could find other exclusives you would be into. (infamous comes to mind).

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By audiosnow

Wait for the next console.

If it has backward compatibility, you won't need a PS3.

If it doesn't, there will likely be some sort of PS3 price drop at its release.

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By grilledcheez

There's always a chance that you won't like the exclusives no matter how critically acclaimed they are. You might just want to wait until the next console if you're going to be primarily playing games from a few years back anyway.

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By Superkenon

You've already got a list of 4-5 games you want play, and that's usually enough to justify a console purchase for me. PS3's got so many nice exclusives besides, especially if you're into japanese nonsense. You got the Disgaeas, the recent Tales of Graces, Demon's Souls, 3D Dot Game Heroes, the Yakuza series... and perhaps Persona 5??

Eastern jewels aside, hey, there's Heavy Rain. The Pixel Junk series is there for you, as well as Infamous. And of course Little Big Planet is pretty rad, you guys. That one's almost worth it all by itself, to me.

Avatar image for everydayodyssey
    EverydayOdyssey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By EverydayOdyssey

Absolutely worth getting a new PS3, especially if you can catch a good deal. Uncharted, Infamous, LPB2 are all games worth playing. And if you like baseball, MLB The Show is fantastic.

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By mandude

If you're not hurt for money, I'd say yeah. There are a load of other gems that are really cheap right now, so even if you're not 100% sure, it's always worth experiencing.

Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#21  Edited By Commisar123

Well it sounds like the PS4 may not be backwards compatible than yes, but also I would wait until there is another price drop.

donkeycow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By donkeycow

It's not a great time to buy a game system, you are really just wasting money. What you should do is probably wait till the PS4 is released and then buy a PS3 for dirt cheap. Either that or track down a friend who owns a PS3 and rarely uses it and borrow it and play some of the games you wanna play.

GooieGreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By GooieGreen

@Video_Game_King said:

I mean, if you think like that, yeah. I used to think like that too before I got screwed by the "NEW, CHEAPER, PS3s!" when they removed a lot of the hardware and the software emulation. But as it turned out, I've only gotten around to playing one PS2 game in the past three years (or whatever it was) and my PS2 works just fine.

I wouldn't be too worried about playing your PS3 games in the future. Just enjoy what you have now and don't worry about if and when future systems will play older games. The really good games make their way back onto those newer systems in one form or another eventually. Just with the Uncharted series alone you have plenty to buy a PS3 for.

M_Shini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By M_Shini

Theres plenty of other great and super cheap games that you can pick up for the ps3 along the way as you look more into it, which is exactly what i ended up doing when i got mine.

MacEG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By MacEG

@zombie2011 said:

I'd wait for the next console or at least a huge pirce drop to around $150 or something.

That seems so far away though. :( I'm in the same boat as the OP.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Jimbo

Nope.

Avatar image for deactivated-629eab11cc270
    deactivated-629eab11cc270

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait until E3. If there will be a price drop it will be announced there. 2 months away isn't too bad.

artgarcrunkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By artgarcrunkle

If you want a PS3 and some games for it and have the disposable income then yeah it's probably worth it to you.

Avatar image for willthemagicasian
    WilltheMagicAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Buy a PS3, play Journey, return PS3.

efman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By efman

From what we've been hearing about Sony's next system not sharing any systematic support for PS3 software (take those as you will much like the next person), there's still alot the PS3 has on offer that neither the 360, PC nor the Wii has -- they're distinct in their own ways. It's a great system, and all the better if you can track an older generation down that has backwards compatibilty -- there most likely are people who want to get rid of their older system because of fan noise or whatever. Although, if you're picking one up at retail and find yourself being a bit cash-strapped, just to be on the safe side, I'd give it another few months as E3 rolls around for a ponteial price-drop, which is inevitable at this point. Otherwise, other than the exclusives, there's much here that isn't offered elsewhere, what with PSN really blossoming into something of its own the last couple of years, not really trying to ape Live. Your best bet is to find an older one for a good deal, and the games you're looking at aren't games that came out last week, so renting them could be an alternative, and buying according to your liking. Just my 2 cents.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By zombie2011

@MacEG said:

@zombie2011 said:

That seems so far away though. :( I'm in the same boat as the OP.

I don't think so, by the end of the year they will drop the price imo.

krazy_kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By krazy_kyle

I never saw a point of buying a PS3... =3

No Caption Provided

Just kidding, if you feel like buying, go for it. they are a nice console.

LaserLambert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By LaserLambert

well buzz on the street is that the next system won't play PS3 games, if that turns out to be true then go for it.

xerxes8933a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By xerxes8933a

I picked one up when the new model came out the other year. And even having exclusively used it for exclusives, I feel it was worth the price. I may not turn it on every month, but when I do I really enjoy it.

DukesT3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By DukesT3

I say if you have a good steady job and able to support yourself then just go for it. Then just save up for the eventual "Orbis" this fall or something.

excast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By excast

We probably aren't going to see a new Sony system until at least holiday 2013.  And even then, I never want to be a first adopter on a new system.  You always see improved hardware models within a year or so and usually the price gets a drop as well.  The PS3 also seems like it is going to be relevant a long longer than the 360 as well.

Hairy_Fish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Hairy_Fish

I have 5 games to play for it but it still isn't plugged in.

SSValis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By SSValis

That's for you to decide

There are some pretty good exclusives Uncharted 2 and 3 are great games, along with Killzone 3. MGS4 was amazing for its time, not so sure about it now. Heavy Rain is also pretty damn cool.

Also if you're into baseball games MLB the Show is the shit.

justinsimonin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By justinsimonin

Yeah, totally worth it for all the exclusives. You can get almost any of those on the cheap. A couple of them are amazing and the rest, with maybe a few exceptions, are solid if not really good.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By xyzygy

Get one used or wait. If the rumors of the next Playstation not being able to play old PS3 games is true, then get one when they're SUPER cheap.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#41  Edited By Jeust

@xyzygy said:

Get one used or wait. If the rumors of the next Playstation not being able to play old PS3 games is true, then get one when they're SUPER cheap.

I got one used, and I love it. Having been playing the Uncharted series and Heavenly Sword, as far as exclusives go, I say that, if you do have the desire to get one, do it, but although the PS3 is a nifty system, with advantages as free online play and without the need to install every game to the hd, it probably won't blow your mind.

AnnouncerGXZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By AnnouncerGXZ

i know someone that has a 360 he too says it got no game. only multiplat games. exlclusive is only halo and gears of war and thats it. he got bored and even i got bored playing at his house. controller is whack too especially the feel of left analog sticks. it is for 12 year old kid thumbs.

ps3 got many game you never get from other consoles and never see in pc. u get ps3 and you not late. ps4 wont come out for 3,4 years.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Totally. Just got a PS3 myself (long time Xbox homer) and I'm loving it. Playing it more than my Xbox. 

Contrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Contrarian

Absolutely. I only bought mine less than a year ago and don't regret it at all. There are plenty of cheap games about and the exclusives, whilst not being substantial, are still worth the cost of the ticket. Valkyria Chronicles and Disgaea 3 & 4 are wprth it alone (for me).

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By geirr

I got a 360 solely for Limbo (not so smart) so you can absolutely get a PS3 for this plethora of awesome games you mention.

Samaritan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#46  Edited By Samaritan

If anything. now is the best time to buy a PS3. They're not $10,00 anymore, there is an enormous library of great titles for the system, many of which will be much cheaper than they were when they were new, and there are still great games for the system yet to come.

Shookems

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Shookems

I picked up a PS3 on black friday last year, and I love it. The back catalog of exclusives is huge and well worth it, and you can get the majority of them for 20 dollars or less now. Also PS+ is a pretty great deal.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#48  Edited By Hizang

There is no better time to get one, you have a whole backlog full of PS3 games to play.

• Heavy Rain.
    • MGS4.
    • Uncharted trilogy.
    • Ratchet and Clank Future trilogy.
    • Heavenly Sword - Really underrated.
    • Little Big Planet.
    • inFamous + 2.
    • Journey/Flower.
    • Fat Princess.
    Avatar image for james_giant_peach
    James_Giant_Peach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depends. I play mine once every few months at best. The exclusives are there, but the console is so weak I never really care to play them. If I were you, I wouldn't bother.

abdo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#50  Edited By abdo

Get it

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.