Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Awesome, not so obvious, PS3 games?

Drekly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Drekly

Hey all! Just got myself a PS3 for the first time, and I'm looking to get some great games.

I know Uncharted, Last of Us, GTA 5 etc, but wondered if y'all found some hidden gems?

I mean games like Tokyo Jungle, which is fucking amazing.

mwng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By mwng
    csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I thought Unfinished Swan was better than Journey (though it's short so take that into account).

And I think Resistance 3 is one of the best shooters this gen, so yeah. Fairly high profile but seemed to be ignored.

shinboy630

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By shinboy630

If you missed it on the PS2 and happened to grab a PS+ sub, the HD remake of Ico is currently free for the US, with HD Shadow of the Colossus being free next month. Other than that, Journey and the two main Ratchet & Clank games (Tools of Destruction and A Crack in Time) are a few suggestions that, while not really "hidden gems" by any stretch, are games that aren't really "AAA" and that you can only get on PS3.

Drekly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@mwng said:

Hardly a hidden gem, but buy Valkyria Chronicles. Like now. Right now.

Looks great, getting it now.

@csl316 said:

I thought Unfinished Swan was better than Journey (though it's short so take that into account).

And I think Resistance 3 is one of the best shooters this gen, so yeah. Fairly high profile but seemed to be ignored.

I think I saw the quick look for that and yeah I remember them saying it was pretty short. I keep hearing that Journey is amazing, but from what I've seen it's just running through a desert coming across structures sometimes? Is it anything other than just beautiful to look at?

If you missed it on the PS2 and happened to grab a PS+ sub, the HD remake of Ico is currently free for the US, with HD Shadow of the Colossus being free next month. Other than that, Journey and the two main Ratchet & Clank games (Tools of Destruction and A Crack in Time) are a few suggestions that, while not really "hidden gems" by any stretch, are games that aren't really "AAA" and that you can only get on PS3.

Ah. Ratchet and Clank are fantastic. Good call.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By ajamafalous

@drekly said:

@csl316 said:

I think I saw the quick look for that and yeah I remember them saying it was pretty short. I keep hearing that Journey is amazing, but from what I've seen it's just running through a desert coming across structures sometimes? Is it anything other than just beautiful to look at?

Yeah, that's basically all it is, along with some light platforming that controls well. I paid $7.50 for it with PS+ and I feel like $5-7.50 is about the right price for that game; I beat it in one sitting in probably something like ~2-3 hours. It's probably worth mentioning that I do actually enjoy arty/indie games.

Also, yeah, get the Ratchets. Even Quest for Booty is good, though it's short and it's structured pretty differently from the other two.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

3D Dot Game Heroes is pretty great.

If you haven't checked out the Shadow of the Colossus/ICO collection, you are doing yourself a true disservice.

If you like JRPGs, the Disgaea series is great. The third, fourth and fifth installment are on the PS3.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

Vaklyria Chronicles tends to be the goto answer. Three of the 4 DLC packs are great too. Don't get Enter the Edy Detachment though (but do get Challenge of the Edy Detachment).

Pixel Junk Eden/Eden Encore and Where is My Heart? are my personal favourite PSN games.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#9  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

Love me some Rainbow Moon, Disgaea (Disgaea D2 is only about a week out, so you might just want to wait on that one), Joe Danger, and I'll definitely echo the sentiment for the Ratchet and Clank games. Both of the R&C Future games are terrific amounts of fun and should be dirt cheap. Oh, and Tales of Xillia, which is pretty terrific. My favorites on the platform, which aren't hidden gems but are still worth checking out, are Ni No Kuni and Heavy Rain.

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
    deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I remember years ago walking through a Walmart and seeing Folkore in a bargain bin, and something about it just catching my eye. Turned out it was apparently a fun little gem with something of a cult following. Check it out if you can, there's some neat stuff in there. Great style and tasteful use of the Sixaxis, as well.

stubbleman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was just about to say Folklore too. Take a look at Mugen Souls too. Wipeout HD is old enough that it might slip your mind. Don't let it though cause it's fucking sick. I mean, I guess if you don't mind super girly jrpgs, the last two Atelier games are pretty rad. Tekken Revolution and that new DOA5 ftp games are like, right there for you to mess around with. Malicious is pretty rad. And Persona 3 Fes, God Hand and Odin Sphere are up on the ps2 classics. I think Grimgrimoire is too. So that's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Nadafinga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

PixelJunk Eden is really something great. The demo doesn't do it justice, since you only get the very basic first level, which might seem simple or boring. But every level you progress to changes up the mechanics and keeps you on your toes. I got many hours out of that game.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#14  Edited By chaser324  Moderator  Online

@drekly said:

@mwng said:

Thank you on behalf of all VC fans that hope that series continues (...and gets releases outside of Japan).

...I don't think I'll ever get over the disappointment of no release of VC3 over here.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yakuza 3 and 4 Forget Dead souls.

vivek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@drekly: TRASH PANIC! One of my favourite and most frustrating games. Great multiplayer physics fun too!

stubbleman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yakuza 3 and 4 Forget Dead souls.

Forget jimmyfenix. Dead Souls is way better than Yakuza 3.

hidden81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By hidden81

Aero Racer.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@drekly said:

@mwng said:

Thank you on behalf of all VC fans that hope that series continues (...and gets releases outside of Japan).

...I don't think I'll ever get over the disappointment of no release of VC3 over here.

I really hope Atlus takes over Valkyria Chronicles from Sega. They could really breathe new life into that franchise.

VC3 was good. A little less grindy and a little more difficult than VC2. My biggest issue with VC3 was that half of the maps were recycled from VC2.

PixelJunk Eden is really something great. The demo doesn't do it justice, since you only get the very basic first level, which might seem simple or boring. But every level you progress to changes up the mechanics and keeps you on your toes. I got many hours out of that game.

Garden 11 from Encore is taller than the height of ground level to garden 10. It is so full of pollen and huge plants that exploring a huge area is easier and getting huge combos is easier. Encore is so good. Try it if you haven't.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By awesomeusername

You better buy ALL the games I list or else.

• The Unfinished Swan
    • Journey
    • inFAMOUS 1, 2 & Festival of Blood
    • Resistance 3
    • Papo & Yo
    • Ratchet & Clnk Future series
    • Heavy Rain
    • God of War series
    • Sound Shapes
    • Closure
    • Guacamelee!
    • Ico & Shadow of the Colossus (Both free on PS+)
    • Sly Cooper Collection & Thieves in Time
    • Ni No Kuni

I would list more but I don't know your taste or if you played some games on PC or what. Look at my Games I Beat list.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Super Stardust HD and Shatter are probably the two best PSN games.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you haven't checked out the Shadow of the Colossus/ICO collection, you are doing yourself a true disservice.

Amazing package I still haven't beat ICO but Shadow holds up so well can't recommend enough, I missed Shadow when it came out since I didn't have a PS2 but that game at 60FPS is siiick.

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

SuperCycle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SuperCycle

Haze, Lair... These gems are so hidden that they are at the bottom of the barrel. Almost completely forgotten. Probably because they're not very good, but you should check them out anyways. Heavenly Sword was good though, check that one out too.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drekly said:

@csl316 said:

Yeah, that's basically all it is, along with some light platforming that controls well. I paid $7.50 for it with PS+ and I feel like $5-7.50 is about the right price for that game; I beat it in one sitting in probably something like ~2-3 hours. It's probably worth mentioning that I do actually enjoy arty/indie games.

Agreed, I paid $7.50 when that and Journey were half off. It was a great price for an incredibly memorable game. If it's on sale again, don't hesitate.

atlfalconsfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh, I'd also look into Dyad or Puppeteer. Depending on your mood.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.