Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Best JRPGs for the PS3?

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
    ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Title is pretty much the gist of it.

I need to kill some time until Dark Souls 2 comes out and a JRPG would do the trick. So I figured I'd ask you guys too see if I missed any must play JRPGs.

Let's try to leave Lightning Returns out of this? I read how that game ends....

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Zeik

Ni no Kuni. Frankly that's the only one that comes to mind as must play.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

I can only think of 6 JRPGs that I've played on PS3. I wouldn't recommend FF13 or Nier. I think they are both bad games. I assume you've played Dark Souls and Demon's Souls. Ni No Kuni is OK and is a very traditional 90s JRPG. Valkyria Chronicles is fantastic. It might be my favourite game of the generation.

ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can only think of 6 JRPGs that I've played on PS3. I wouldn't recommend FF13 or Nier. I think they are both bad games. I assume you've played Dark Souls and Demon's Souls. Ni No Kuni is OK and is a very traditional 90s JRPG. Valkyria Chronicles is fantastic. It might be my favourite game of the generation.

Valkyria Chronicles is one of those games that I always hear about being fantastic. I might have to check it out.

I like traditional JRPG type stuff so Ni No Kuni is probably right up my alley.

Doskias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Are you willing to dig into the PSOne Classic library while you're on your PS3? There's a ton of great stuff to be found there. There's obviously Final Fantasies of every shape and color, Xenogears, Vagrant Story, the Parasite Eve games (more actiony, but hey), Threads of Fate, the PS1 version of Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross (a controversial pick, maybe, but I enjoyed it), Wild Arms, Suikoden, and probably a bunch more I'm forgetting. Of that bunch, I'd recommend Suikoden purely because it has a lot that sets it apart from other RPGs of its time. In fact I'm still a bit miffed that Suikoden 2 never came out in that form.

Also, I didn't play it myself, but I heard nothing but good things about Tales of Graces F for the PS3.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Tales of Vesperia was apparently really good.

Avatar image for omniscientcajun
    omniscientcajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

If you like traditional JRPGs, Valkyria Chronicles might not be the game for you. Or it might be. Know that it's a SRPG (strategy). Only cutscenes and team-building in between the fighting, no towns or world exploration. Not a standard JRPG, but a fantastic game regardless.

Along with Ni No Kuni, I'd recommend Eternal Sonata. I played it on the 360, but the "definitive/complete edition" was later released for PS3. Interesting turn-based, real-time combat, an endearing story (despite some of the worst English voice acting of the last generation), a compelling take on Chopin's last days coupled with a great score, coupling Chopin's more famous piano pieces with a more traditional JRPG-style orchestration. I will say to take this recommendation with a grain of salt. I remember loving it, but I did play it like 6-7 years ago. Ni No Kuni, on the other hand, I finished 3 weeks ago and I have no qualms about recommending that.

xXCrazyCostaXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Doskias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ooh, the release date on it wouldn't give you much time to play before DS2, but the PS3 collection of the Tales of Symphonia games comes out on the 25th of this month. I remember really enjoying Symphonia on the GameCube.

Carryboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By Carryboy

I really really liked Eternal Sonata, played the 360 version but by all acounts you Ps3 is pretty similar with a few extras.

ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lots of good suggestions here.

I'm probably going for Ni No Kuni, Eternal Sonata or Valkyria Chronicles.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yup, Valkyria Chronicles is a special game.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Darji

@viciousbearmauling said:

Title is pretty much the gist of it.

I need to kill some time until Dark Souls 2 comes out and a JRPG would do the trick. So I figured I'd ask you guys too see if I missed any must play JRPGs.

Let's try to leave Lightning Returns out of this? I read how that game ends....

Tales of Xillia to be prepared for Xillia 2 which is even better

Tales of Vesperia if you udnerstand Japanese. If not there is a 360 version in English but the Japanese one has more content.

Valkyria Chronicles

And if you want a bit more modern JRPG: Try Yakuza 4. It has everything you want from a JRPG. Greact story, great characters, great battlesystem with tons of skills to learn and the best and most complex integrated minigames ever XD

gokaired

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll have to play Valkyria then, It's a series I know nothing about.

ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji said:

And if you want a bit more modern JRPG: Try Yakuza 4. It has everything you want from a JRPG. Greact story, great characters, great battlesystem with tons of skills to learn and the best and most complex integrated minigames ever XD

Oh, don't get me started on the Yakuza series. That is my jam! I really can't wait for Yakuza 5 to (HOPEFULLY) get put out over here.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Zeik

I recommend going into Valkyria with slightly tempered expectations. While there is some great stuff in that game, other parts of it are not so great. It's worth playing, but it didn't end up being all that I hoped it would be.

If we're including strategy RPGs then I'll throw in Disgaea 4 as well, depending on how you feel about that franchise. It's largely just more Disgaea, but it was the first one since the original that I really enjoyed.

TowerSixteen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By TowerSixteen

Man, the last gen was not a good one for JRPGs, huh? I mean, there are some good suggestions here, but compared to the PS1 or PS2...

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

Man, the last gen was not a good one for JRPGs, huh? I mean, there are some good suggestions here, but compared to the PS1 or PS2...

Yeah it wasn't good for JRPGs. You are right there.

I'm hoping Persona 5 is the stand out when that finally comes out here.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Zeik

@towersixteen said:

Most of the good stuff ended up on the DS/3DS and occasionally the PSP. Consoles were pretty barren, apart from a couple exceptional exceptions.

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. I can't think of any JRPGs on the PS3 that I would immediately recommend to someone.

Ketch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Tales of Xillia, Tales of Graces F, Ni No Kuni, and Valkyria Chronicles are all pretty good. Also, Tales of Symphonia Chronicles is coming out next week and, if you haven't played the original yet, Kingdom Hearts 1.5 is a fine game as well.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#22  Edited By Jeust

If you choose Ni No Kuni prepare for some crappy pokemon battle system. Badly implemented and not fun at all.

Personally I'd recommend also Star Ocean: Last Hope International.

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Unfortunately Lost Odyssey was 360 but that was probably the closest thing to FFX I've ever played, so I really enjoyed it. Ni no kuni was great although the combat was a little too simple, but I loved the look. Eternal Sonata had a fun combat system but the story was kinda flat. Valkyrie Chronicles felt more like a strategy game than a traditional JRPG.

Also was Folklore a JRPG? That was a weird but really intriguing game.

MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I'm just going to echo others here, but the main ones I can think of are Ni No Kuni and Tales of Xillia. Also you might like the Atelier games. I know some people don't care for them, but I enjoyed them.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@benspyda said:

Unfortunately Lost Odyssey was 360 but that was probably the closest thing to FFX I've ever played, so I really enjoyed it.

I was going to bring that up, but yes 360. One of the best plots in any JRPGs I played. Didn't like anything besides the story too much but the story was great.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@benspyda said:

Unfortunately Lost Odyssey was 360 but that was probably the closest thing to FFX I've ever played, so I really enjoyed it.

I was going to bring that up, but yes 360. One of the best plots in any JRPGs I played. Didn't like anything besides the story too much but the story was great.

I didn't think the main story was anything that special, but the Thousand Years of Dreams short stories that were scattered throughout the game were really really good.

winsord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@viciousbearmauling said:

@darji said:

Oh, don't get me started on the Yakuza series. That is my jam! I really can't wait for Yakuza 5 to (HOPEFULLY) get put out over here.

*Sigh*, I wouldn't count on Yakuza 5 coming over, but I really wish it would too. I'll throw my votes in for Ni No Kuni and Tales of Xillia.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeik said:

@artisanbreads said:

@benspyda said:

I didn't think the main story was anything that special, but the Thousand Years of Dreams short stories that were scattered throughout the game were really really good.

Well that's part of the story of the game to me.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Dark Souls. If you're not counting that for some arbitrary reason Valkyria Chronicles I suppose. Final Fantasy XIII and XIII-2 are both memorable but somewhat flawed. This generation I actually liked the Last Remnant the best.

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Valkyria Chronicles is the only good jrpg this last generation.

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The fact the Resonance of Fate is only mentioned once, while below average games like Ni no Kuni, Tales of Xillia, and Eternal Sonata are recommended several times, is blasphemy.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The fact the Resonance of Fate is only mentioned once, while below average games like Ni no Kuni, Tales of Xillia, and Eternal Sonata are recommended several times, is blasphemy.

Sorry, but RoF doesn't even come close to Ni no Kuni for me.

I had fun with RoF for the first like 15-20 hours, but it just didn't have enough going for it to keep me interested for as long as it wanted to be. I've even tried to go back to it a few times, because I kept wanting to like it more than I did.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Darji

@artisanbreads said:

@zeik said:

@artisanbreads said:

@benspyda said:

Well that's part of the story of the game to me.

As far as I remember was this the part which was written by some famous Japanese author. That is why it was such a standout.. The game's story was not really good. But the worst thing in L.O where its presentation and the reason why even Sakaguchi called it a poor mans Final Fantasy.

As for Ni No Kuni. That was the only JRPG that made me fell asleep while playing it. What a boring game with great visuals.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.