Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Better Late Than Never I Guess..

Shadow106

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Edited By Shadow106

Finally today my new siny 80GB PS3 turned up and I am pleased to say that so far all seems to be well, I hope it continues the same way from now on otherwise I am gonna be seriously pissed. Also to confirm for the UK market at least the 80GB PS3 is not backwards compatible at all, you insert a PS2 disk and you get a ? where the CD icon appears then a message saying something along the lines of "This PS3 can not play PS2 or PS1 media". A shame but no real loss either as I don't play PS2 games all that much and if I really want to play PS2 stuff then I can get the PS2 Slimline console for around £20.

Shadow106

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Shadow106

Finally today my new siny 80GB PS3 turned up and I am pleased to say that so far all seems to be well, I hope it continues the same way from now on otherwise I am gonna be seriously pissed. Also to confirm for the UK market at least the 80GB PS3 is not backwards compatible at all, you insert a PS2 disk and you get a ? where the CD icon appears then a message saying something along the lines of "This PS3 can not play PS2 or PS1 media". A shame but no real loss either as I don't play PS2 games all that much and if I really want to play PS2 stuff then I can get the PS2 Slimline console for around £20.

The_Icon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By The_Icon

Dont worry, there is a solid rumor recently that says that backwards compatibility may come in the near future as PS2 games will go on the PSN store.

Avatar image for disabilityfishy
    DisAbiLityFisHy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By DisAbiLityFisHy

ReTarDedFisHy is sorry to hear that ;{
    But yeah, he's also been hearing the same as The_Icon :o

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By Hexpane
    The_Icon said:
    "Dont worry, there is a solid rumor recently that says that backwards compatibility may come in the near future as PS2 games will go on the PSN store."
    "solid" rumor? ROFL  There are zero facts regarding software BC.  Link to your source if there is something new pls
    Shadow106

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Shadow106

I have been hearing about that rumour myself SCEE were going to put it in a recent firmware update but they decided against it at the last moment.

matthew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By matthew

I thought there were at least a few games that were BC via software - kinda like how 360 has select titles from xbox that it chooses to play...
    Or is that just me thinking errantly?

Shadow106

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Shadow106

Sony UK has said to me that the 80GB model has no BC what so ever right now. I don't know if that also counts for PSN downloads somehow I don't think it does only disks.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.