Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Bustin' my PS3 Cherry

wrecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By wrecks

The PS3 and its games have fascinated me this entire generation but I haven't played a single one.

Oh I've dabbled with a few at friends houses but never had the full PS3 gaming experience. In the beginning, interesting titles seemed so few and far between that I could never justify the purchase since I was already fully invested in the 360 and that just stuck. I never wanted to spend the money to buy a new one and was never motivated enough to look for a good deal.

However, I just got a steal on a friends launch console which he barely used. So, the most basic of questions is: Which games should I play out of the gate? Journey might have to be the cherry buster and Uncharted seems like a no-brainer. But should I start with 1 or 2 and is 3 worth playing at all?

The other titles that have intersted me over the years (mostly from trailers and quick looks) are Heavy Rain, Infamous and PSN games like Pixel Junk Shooter, etc.. Killzone looked like it was pretty amazing but focused more on multiplayer. Worth it for the campaign? Got all 3 God of Wars from my friends as well.

Besides those, any must plays? And is Playstation Plus worth it?

Hit me with it, um, playstationers?

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By Hizang

@wrecks: Uncharted 1 is worth it, especially now considering its probably dirt cheap, as for the rest.

• Heavenly Sword.
    • Infamous.
    • Little Big Planet.
    • Heavy Rain.
    • Flower.
    • Journey.
    • Ratchet and Clank A Crack in Time.
    • Sorcery.
    Avatar image for vegetable_side_dish
    Vegetable_Side_Dish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

"Is Uncharted 3 worth playing at all?" Sheesh..

Anyway, outside of those mentioned already....some essentials...

• Yakuza 3 and 4. You have to play them - no exceptions! 
    • Valkyria Chronicles   
    • Wipeout HD/Fury 
    • Gran Turismo 5  
    • MGS4 
    • Demon's Souls 
    • Motorstorm Pacific Rift
    • 3D Dot Game Heroes  
    • Motherfucking Folklore! 
    mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By mosespippy
    • Valkyria Chronicles
    • Pixel Junk Eden
    • Folklore
    • And a PS+ Subscription

PS+ is absolutely worth it assuming you remember to check the store at the start of each month to download your free stuff. I've received more games from PS+ than I have time to play them or hard drive space to store them. Uncharted 1 is absolutely worth checking out.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#5  Edited By pyromagnestir

Uncharted 3's fine. Just a bit sloppy, is all.

These other duders lists seem to cover everything.

Avatar image for deactivated-629eab11cc270
    deactivated-629eab11cc270

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Heavy Rain, Demon's Souls, LBP2, Journey, and Uncharted 2 are most of the must plays. You can skip Uncharted 1 and Killzone 2 or 3 aren't really worth it for single player alone. If you like racing Motorstorm Pacific Rift is amazing.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7  Edited By Justin258

The Jak and Daxter Collection, the Prince of Persia Collection, the Sly Cooper Collection, and the Ratchet and Clank games.

Oh, and InFamous 2.

PokeIkzai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By PokeIkzai

If you play Uncharted definitely play the original first because after you play number 2 there's no going back and really its a pretty decent game.

Yakuza 4. I played 3 and kinda enjoyed it but personally I feel like Yakuza 4 is improved in almost every way.

Infamous 1 and 2. A good little series. The original might be slightly better overall.

LittleBigPlanet 2! There's no need to play the original. The sequel is way better in every way.

Ratchet and Clank: Crack in Time is pretty much one of the most fun platformers I've played this gen. It is excellent. Don't worry about playing Tools of Destruction or Quest for Booty. Just play Crack in Time. It's A+.

There are a ton others. Oddities like 3D Dot Game Heroes is something well worth checking out.

EDIT: Oh how could I forget the HD collections? Some are fantastic and well worth it. Just stick to the Sony ones, however. Jak and Daxter, Sly Cooper, God of War... those HD Collections are very well done. Also Ratchet and Clank HD when it comes out.

wrecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By wrecks

Right on! Thanks Duders. A few on these lists I completely forgot about like Heavenly Sword and Motorstorm. I'm pretty excited to have a grip of "new" games to dive into.

swfcfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By swfcfan

RIIIIIIIIIIIIDDDDDDDDGGGGGGEEEE RRRRRRAAAAACCCCCCEEEEEERRRR SEEEEVVVVVEEEEENNNNN ;)

[END OF TOPIC!]

wrecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By wrecks

Played some WipEout HD and Super Stardust HD. Already digging it. Plus streaming MKVs! Bonus!

ManU_Fan10ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By ManU_Fan10ne

@Hizang said:

@wrecks: Uncharted 1 is worth it, especially now considering its probably dirt cheap, as for the rest.

• Heavenly Sword.
    • Infamous.
    • Little Big Planet.
    • Heavy Rain.
    • Flower.
    • Journey.
    • Ratchet and Clank A Crack in Time.
    • Sorcery.

@mosespippy said:

• Valkyria Chronicles

• Pixel Junk Eden
    • Folklore
    • And a PS+ Subscription

PS+ is absolutely worth it assuming you remember to check the store at the start of each month to download your free stuff. I've received more games from PS+ than I have time to play them or hard drive space to store them. Uncharted 1 is absolutely worth checking out.

basically, these two lists are must own for PS3, i still need to go around and get them all though.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13  Edited By mosespippy

@ManU_Fan10ne: I like that you emphasised Valkyria Chronicles. As far as PS3 must haves go Valkyria Chronicles is the most important one and the other top tier games are second place.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Cloudenvy

@mosespippy said:

@ManU_Fan10ne: I like that you emphasised Valkyria Chronicles. As far as PS3 must haves go Valkyria Chronicles is the most important one and the other top tier games are second place.

This is the truth!

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By lego_my_eggo

The only reason people usually say anything bad about Uncharted 3 is because Uncharted 2 was a hell of a game to top, and in terms of character development it fell short compared to UC2 but is still a hell of a game compared to %95 of other games out there. So get all 3 Uncharted games and have fun.

Killzone is like every other shooter in terms of story, but it plays like nothing else so it is worth trying out a demo to see how it feels.

other games to look into are:

infamous 1/2

littlebigplanet 1/2

demons souls and dark souls

Gran turismo 5

MGS4

3D dot game heroes

You may also want to check out the HD remakes if you haven't had a chance to play them on PS2, and just browse PSN for some of the exclusive titles.

And PS+ wouldn't be a bad investment since infamous 2 and littlebigplanet 2 are on there now and they are worth the $50 investment alone.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By awesomeusername

@wrecks:If you follow multiple sites, you'd know thatgamecompany is retailing Flower, flOw, and Journey with a bunch of other stuff like 3 minigames, all the soundtracks to the games, a month of PS+, free avatars and other things. So wait for that instead of buying Journey. PS+ is also worth the money. I bought 3 months of Plus which only cost me 18 bucks and I've downloaded over $300(in one day!) worth of things like themes, avatars, games, etc. You won't regret it.

Games I'd recommend are:

Infamous 1 & 2

Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction, Quest for Booty and A Crack in Time

Uncharted 1, 2, 3

Heavy Rain

LittleBigPlanet 2 if you mind just skipping the first. Also, LBP2 is free on Plus until this Tuesday so hop on that!

Resistance 3 if you dig the games setting. The games aren't great but they're worth a playthrough, to me at least. Also, R3 fills you in on what happened in part 1 & 2.

Killzones singleplayer isn't that good, but the games are gorgeous so you can play them for the prettiness. The multiplayer are the good parts but not much people play anymore.

Get the Sony HD collections like other people said. Go get PS+ also, right now. There are 12 games free on the store and all that ends on Tuesday. Also, inFAMOUS 2 is free on there. $18 for LBP2 and inFAMOUS 2 alone is a steal since they're $80 together.

Edit: Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One too! It's not as good as the other Ratchets but it's worth the playthrough with some friends, especially since it's FREE on PS+ also! If you get PS+, download all the games and I'll join you in the co-op ones like LBP2, All 4 One.

Other good games for free on PS+ are:

Lara Croft & the Guardian of Light (If you haven't played it, we can play it together)

Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine

Just Cause 2

cclemon36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By cclemon36

If you've now got a launch PS3, then does it have backwards compatibility? If so, Yakuza 1 and 2. :)

I've seen Uncharted box sets in the store, so you could pick them all up at once. I'd recommend playing all of them, anyway. Also, Dust 514 is coming up, so there's that. Happy gaming!

Edit: Oh, just realised this thread has been sitting for over a week now, oh well.

mitsuko_souma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By mitsuko_souma

I enjoyed Killzone 3 much more than MW3 (which I thought was really terrible). I wouldn't advise getting it though because it is pretty old now, the user base probably isn't too great these days.

benefitevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By benefitevil

Instead of heavenly sword I would go with God of war 3 and the God of War collection. Its basically the same game. Heavy Rain is a must one of the best games for the PS3.

MegaLombax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By MegaLombax

So glad there ppl here are brought up Folklore. Yes, definitely play that game. Its amazing.

renmckormack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By renmckormack

I'll be gentle....

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By GERALTITUDE

Wipeout! It's the best.

ScreamingGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ScreamingGhost

Infamous and Uncharted series for sure.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.