Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Buy a PS3, or wait for Gaikai PS4 Streaming?

ottoman673

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Hey duders,

There've been a few games coming out on PS3 lately that I've really wanted to play, and it looks like there's a few more good ones coming still. Until now, I've been happy with my 360 and PC [and still am] but there's just a few exclusives that'll never make it over to either platform.

So here's my question: I've already got the PS4 preordered, and Sony has touted the whole 'streaming library of PS3 games via Gaikai' feature... so should I just wait, or go find a reasonably priced PS3 now? [I'm aware the Gaikai feature won't be available at launch]

Darth_Navster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

If you can get a good deal on the PS3 I say go for it. If OnLive is anything to go by, the Gaikai PS3 emulation will be serviceable but likely not as good as playing on the PS3 native. Also, if you get a PS3 now you can start collecting games with PS+. It's honestly been the biggest money saver for me as I now have more free games than I know what to do with.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I guess it depends on how awesome your Internet is. If you want the most reliable, stable way to play PS3 games, I'd say get a PS3.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Gaikai will probably be a long wait until full operation, and the results may vary depending on connection. I would buy a used PS3 and some used games, a bit more money, but you will be playing sooner.

jayu26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait for price drop on PS3. My guess is that even after Gaikai goes live on PS4, not all PS3 games you want to play will be on it. I'm not sure of the pricing structure for it either. Also, it is probably better to play the game from the physical hardware rather than stream it in.

rautapalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Get a PS3. I've tried both OnLive and Gaikai on PC and it's not a good experience compared to playing it natively. The video compression is noticeable and the input lag is also very noticeable.

Avatar image for the1stofhisname
    the1stofhisname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By the1stofhisname

This is pretty much what I have done in the past month. I'd finished playing everything I had for my 360 and after searching about found a deal for a super slim 500GB model with The Last of Us (plus season pass and 1 month of PS+) for £209.99. After trading in my 360 and all the games etc, I only had to pay £10. I see that as a pretty decent deal to get into PS+, amassing so many great, free games as well as getting to play some exclusives I have wanted to try this whole generation.

Gaikai looks like it has a lot of potential, and I'm excited to see what comes of it, but for now I'd rather get up to speed with existing franchises using the native hardware.

CynicalBuzzard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Get a PS3

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

If you are interested in one of the games that is available in a bundle get one of these. Best deal IMHO.

jgf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

There is no way that gaikai is as good as a ps3 that is connected to your tv. It won't work when the internet is out and it will stop working some day in the future when servers are shut down. PS3 will still work then.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 5

@jgf said:

There is no way that gaikai is as good as a ps3 that is connected to your tv. It won't work when the internet is out and it will stop working some day in the future when servers are shut down. PS3 will still work then.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.