Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Buyin a PS3 - HDD question.

Lowbrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Lowbrow

Hello! So I decided to go ahead and do it - I'm going to grab a PS3 tomorow but I had a really quick question about hard drive space and the installation of games. 

1. Do all games for the PS3 need to be installed?

2. In terms of installation sizes, are we talking closer to what you might see on the PC - like a game with a 10 gig installation requirement or something like that? The first game that I will most likely pickup with be MSG4  so if anyone knows how big that one was to install, that would be a good start point.

Let me know.

VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By VWGTI
    @Lowbrow: 

No, not all games need to be installed, though some require it. It's not even close to being as bad as people make it out to be. Often times a game will have the option to install game data for quicker load times and whatnot. I usually do that.

2. I'm not sure about the size of the MGS4 install, but it's pretty large. From what I remember it would install before each chapter or something like that. Other games just have one when you first boot up the game (Ratchet & Clank, Infamous), but I'm not too sure of the sizes.

Also, get Uncharted.
    geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By geirr  Online

MGS4 installs are around 4gb if I remember correctly,
    also it de-installs the chapter you just played through then installs the
    new during the (somewhat long but cool) Loading/Smoking screens.  

All games on the ps3 seem to install some data, be it 200kb-4gb,
    some just do it in the background while playing so you don't notice.
    Some however, like GTA4 have a long pre-install screen where you can do nothing
    but watch some of the game's artwork.

If you ever run out of HD space, upgrading is done in 30 minutes easily.

.. and for my game pick, Infamous!

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Karmum
    @Lowbrow: 
    I'm pretty sure none of the installs go over 5GB. If you are worried about a lot of games having installs (which actually isn't many, and some of them aren't required), you can always swap out the HDD with a much larger harddrive. All your troubles will go away.
    chililili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By chililili

I think that you would have trouble filling up a 250 gb even if you bought every single game in the ps3's lifetime. (And didn't add anything else in it)

KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By KamasamaK

In addition to what others have said, if you ever run low on space you can easily delete the Game Data for games you don't plan on playing any time soon. The only problem with that is I think it bundles all the game data together, so if you downloaded any DLC for the game you might need to re-download it if you ever decide to play that game again.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By subject2change

Any reason you aren't waiting for the Slim?

Personally have 80gigs and have plenty of space still. However I don't keep demos, music or movies on my PS3 (they are streamed) and demos are deleted after I either buy the game or play through a few times or can't even enjoy it in the slightest.

Lowbrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Lowbrow
    @Subject2Change: 
    I want  PS3 and I want it now (I'm impatient  like that)

I have Monday off, so it'll be a good time to get in some gaming.

Also, a couple of lost centimeters off of the size of the PS3 doesn't really impress me - I have a big cabinet :D

Lastly, 80gigs to 120 gigs for the same price, is kind of nice, but 40 gigs of memory really isn't a deal breaker  - a terabyte HDD goes for 100 bucks these day, a 250 gig goes for a fraction of that.  Based off of what I've heard in this thread, getting past that 80 gig mark will be kind of a challenge, and either way, any multiplatform releases Ill probably get for my 360, especially if theres a multiplayer component (the install base for multiplayer is just bigger on the 360)

The price drop is really what put me over the edge - i've been waiting for it for quite some time.
    Keeng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Keeng

I agree that you may be better off waiting for the slim since it has a rather large HDD. However, now that the price has dropped, you could probably find a used PS3 for considerably less than $300. Anyway, to answer your question, MGS4 has the biggest install of any PS3 title to date and that's at about 5.2 gigs. There are only like 25 PS3 games need any kind of install and only a few are big. I have owned pretty much all the major PS3 games except Killzone 2 (which doesn't even have an install) and the biggest were Resident Evil 5 (4GB), Street Fighter IV (~2GB), Devil May Cry 4 (4GB), and Heavenly Sword (1.1GB). 

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By subject2change

Smaller cabinet, less power required, won't attract dust and better positioning of the vents is why the slim is a better deal. It will be 1 week before the slim in stores and if 80gig and 160gigs were going for say 250 and 300 i'd say its another story but its the same damn price lol.

1TB hard drives might be sub $100 however you are not using a SATA 3.5" drive in a PS3; you use 2.5" Laptop drives so you will be going to a 500GB maximum at the current state which is well 100 bucks. Why waste 100 bucks if you are never gonna use that much space.

I understand being impatient; hell I just bought a 40" 1080p Toshiba cause it came back in stock. Selling my 32" 720p Sharp to my parents as I wanted 1080p goodness.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#11  Edited By iam3green

1. no not all games require to be installed. some of the games need to be installed. 

2. i would say dont' worry about how big the file is. i would say they would be around 5gigs. don't worry about the installs to much because u can get a external hard drive to plug into the ps3 or u can buy a hard drive to put into the ps3. it is cheap to buy hard drives that are high now.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.