Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Connect wired headphones to PS3

Mushir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Mushir

I'd like to start wearing my headphones when using my PS3 cause the noise often annoys the other people in my house. I don't feel like buying a PS3 headset, because I won't be talking online. I have this headphone I use on my computer that I'd like to use on my PS3. Problem is, neither the PS3 or my TV has a headphone jack. All it has is a optical digital audio out. Anyone know what I would need to set this up? Any cheap solutions?

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By onarum

I think you can get one of theseand one of these, then you plug the composite cables that came with your ps3 and use the stereo rcas to output the sound, while keeping video output on HDMI of course. 

edit: though the real nice thing to do would be to get a nice surround sound headset, those come with a dedicated audio box that you connect to your ps3 with a optic cable, but yeah they're pricy.

ExplodeMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ExplodeMode

Use the cable that came with the PS3, attach it to this, and plug headphones into that.  Set Video to HDMI and Audio to the third option "Audio Input Connector" or turn on "Audio Multi-Output" to get sound out of the headphones and the TV at the same time.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By onarum
    @ExplodeMode said:
    Use the cable that came with the PS3, attach it to this, and plug headphones into that.  Set Video to HDMI and Audio to the third option "Audio Input Connector" or turn on "Audio Multi-Output" to get sound out of the headphones and the TV at the same time.
    Yes, this is way better than my solution heh :p
    EgoCheck616

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By EgoCheck616

@explodemode said:

Use the cable that came with the PS3, attach it to this, and plug headphones into that. Set Video to HDMI and Audio to the third option "Audio Input Connector" or turn on "Audio Multi-Output" to get sound out of the headphones and the TV at the same time.

I tried this solution. I bought the exact cable that you mentioned and tried rigging it to the cable that came with my PS3. I've set the Audio Output Settings to 'Audio Input Connector' and video is set to HDMI, Audio Multi-Output is set to 'On', however I am still not hearing sound out of my headphones.

Anyone have any ideas? I am using Sennheiser HD 598 headphones, but this solution also does not work with a basic set of speakers. This leaves me to doubt that it's the headphones that are the problem.

Edit:

Nevermind. Turns out the PS3's cable wasn't pushed all the way in. If anyone runs into this problem in the future be sure to simply push the cable into the PS3 until you hear it click.

Thanks for the advice, explodemode!

ExplodeMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@egocheck616: You scared me for a minute. Glad it worked out.

ascagnel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Note that the PS3 has no way to regulate output volume (at least that I've seen). I use a mini-mixer (this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00102ZN40/ref=aw_d_pd_musical-instruments) to make sure my ears don't get blasted away.

josher14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

your tv may also have a headphone jack! check first.. my crappy dynex 32" has one...

Shiseiten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i connect my creative t3 speakers to PS3 and connect headphone to the control pod.

Its sound clearer with headphone on.

jejarikoala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jejarikoala

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.