Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Convince me to buy a PS3

• 58 results
    Shookems

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Shookems

So black Friday is coming up this week and several outlets are bundling 160 gig PS3s with Little Big Planet 2 and Ratchet and Clank All 4 One for $199. I've been tempted to buy a PS3 in the past but haven't really found that definitive reason to take the plunge. With this sale I'm on the fence; I know it's a sweet deal but I'm not really sure if it's worth it for me. Currently I do all of my gaming on the PC and I don't own a console. What do you guys think? Are there enough exclusive games in PS3's back catalog that would be worth picking up the system for?

Also of note, I would definitely play the hell out of Little Big Planet 2 but i'm pretty sure Ratchet and Clank All 4 One isn't for me. I wish they bundled the system with A Crack in Time.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By GunstarRed

Buy a PS3.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By RE_Player1

Get it. Yes there are enough exclusives. If you don't like Ratchet and Clank All 4 One sell it while it still has a pretty high trade in value and get A Crack in Time.

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By landon

The PS3 has enough exclusives for that being the only reason to buy one. Buy a PS3.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By eroticfishcake

The PS3 has some of the best exclusives of all the consoles but they are also quite niche sort of games. I'll take a look at the exclusives and see if anyone of them tickles your fancy.

fodigga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By fodigga

Do you like games?

Do you want to play more games?

If yes, then buy a PS3.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By OllyOxenFree

Just do it.

Shookems

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Shookems

List some of the PS3 exclusives you guys dig.

Edit: Besides the obvious ones, that is. I'm well aware of games like Uncharted, Infamous, God of War, and so on. I'm interested in the previously interested niche titles, just not necessarily aware of them. Especially PSN stuff.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By RE_Player1

I feel like at this point if you are interested in getting a PS3 or 360 even if it's only for a couple games you should just pick one up. They are cheap now, especially with deals like these or other deals you can easily find. I'm thinking of picking up a 360 during Black Friday just for a couple games, Alan Wake being the only real 360 exclusive I want to check out.

IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By IBurningStar

Uncharted 2. 

/thread

Shookems

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Shookems

@msavo: That's kind of how I feel about this, but I would hate to pick up the system, play one or two exclusives on it, and then never touch it again. If I can be convinced that there is a bounty of games I've missed out on, I'd be less hesitant to pick one up.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By imsh_pl
    @Shookems said:

What do you guys think? Are there enough exclusive games in PS3's back catalog that would be worth picking up the system for?

PS3 has without question the best and most numerous exclusives this generation.
    wickedsc3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By wickedsc3

@GunstarRed said:

Buy a PS3.

Beat me to it.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By RE_Player1

Get these games, all amazing and won't break the bank: - The Sly Collection (all 3 Sly games, you can find it new for $19.99) - A Crack in Time (gorgeous game and the best in the series. You don't really need to have played the other ones, again $19.99) - Flower (A very unique experience) - inFamous: Festival of Blood (For $10 it's a great deal and a fun little story) - Modnation Racers (Great kart racer that I still play to this day, I like it more than Mario Kart) - ICO/Shadow of the Colossus Collection (These games are incredible and this collection has them looking their best)

Deeveeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By Deeveeus

Look at the exclusives list...if they interest you, get it! And remember the greats such as Infamous, the Ratchets, MGS 4, Uncharted 1&2, Folklore, Valkryia Chronicles...they're all mostly gonna be real cheap in stores!

theoldhouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By theoldhouse

@GunstarRed said:

Buy a PS3.
    Shookems

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Shookems

@msavo: Best post so far. Thanks dude. More offbeat under rated PSN games!

IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By IBurningStar

Do you like horror games? Siren: Blood Curse is easily one of the scariest and most intense horror games to come out in a long time. In fact, I might say it is the closest thing we have seen to survival horror since the PS2 days. There are some other great games on PSN that are worth checking out, but that is the one I consider to be the real must play stand out. What I really love PSN for is the ability to download old PS/PS2 classics. In time I expect them to have all the titles I'd ever wish to go back and replay up for download, allowing me to have three console generations worth of content all in one place. If you missed out on something as awesome as say Vagrant Story then you can totally check that out.

Then you have your games like the Uncharted series, God of War 3, Resistance, Infamous, Killzone, Metal Gear Solid 4, Ratchet and Clank, etc. Considering the fact that you are mainly a PC gamer then you might have missed out on the insanity known as the Metal Gear Solid storyline. This is your chance to catch up and learn all about the La Li Lu Le Lo. Just download MGS1 and pick up the HD collection and MGS4. 

Oh, and you get a free Blueray player.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Spoonman671

Do you like games?  The PS3 plays them.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
    TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

Yo dawg. Buy a PS3.

chilibean_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By chilibean_3

Meh. It's alright. Mine had a lot of dust on it until I let my cousin borrow it recently.

artgarcrunkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By artgarcrunkle

It's good.

chortleofearl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By chortleofearl

buy a ps3. just don't buy skyrim for it.

Shookems

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Shookems

@IBurningStar: The main reason I'm considering going for a PS3 is Metal Gear Solid 4. I'm playing Twin Snakes right now and I've beaten Snake Eater years ago.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By bybeach

You GF will make sweet homerun w/you.

Also PS 3 has proved to be a good system for me. I have the Xbox 360, but mostly all I wouldn't have is the Halo and Gears Games. I do like them, but I like the PS 3 exclusives just as much. PS 3 has the most minor problems with multi platform, though not entirely! But they are usually just minor at any rate. Also it is a good looking system and of course, not as important as it was intended to be, it has Bluray. B.R. speed is a small problem in fact, but again, small.

Finally, with the rare game sadly (MGS 4 for example I believe), true 1080 p! None of this '720 is good enough for the MS masses', bs.

I've taken to my PS 3, and for some reason, use it more than my Xbox 360.

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#26  Edited By grilledcheez

It all depends on the person, as much as I like games, the PS3 never meshed with me the way 360 and PC have. I still got one but still!

SuperCycle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By SuperCycle

If you don't own a console, I think right now PS3 is probably as good a choice if not better than the other two consoles. Multiplatform tend to run the same on both the 360 and the PS3. So I'd probably think about the type of games you want to play on it and the types of games you can't get on PC. Besides Sony exclusive games I can't really think about which games don't come to the PC, other than Red Dead Redemption which is an amazing game. A PSN game that I really enjoyed was Outland which I believe is going to be on sale shortly. If you like games like Little Big Planet you'd probably also want to try out Mod Nation Racers. I really enjoyed 3d dot game heroes, it's a Zelda type game.

There are tons of first party games, and they run over a wide variety of genres. I'm sure you'll find a few games that will justify your purchase.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

PS3 is pretty much superior to the 360 in every concievable way outside of the online infastructure but it's free and I just use it for single player games so who gives a flying fuck.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

I will murder you if you don't.

pantzing_nome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By pantzing_nome

The PS3 has some great exclusives and aside from all the games people have already listed, I really enjoyed Heavy Rain and the Yakuza games.

GunnBjorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By GunnBjorn

The Last Guardian might convince me to buy a PS3.
    Shookems

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Shookems

@GunnBjorn: Sure, if they ever release it.

pickassoreborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#33  Edited By pickassoreborn

You can play BLURAYS. Surely that's reason enough?

Masha2932

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Masha2932

You should buy a PS3. Why? 

Hardware:  

The PS3 slim is a great redesign. It has a matte finish which reduces the amount of dust the console accumulates and it matches well if you have a black home theater set up.  

The PS3 doubles as a Blu--ray player as well. So you can enjoy some HD movies when you are away from your PC.  

You can also use your PS3 as a media streaming device allowing you to watch your PC content on a big screen television.

The PS3 supports cross-system play with Steam. Games like Portal 2 and the upcoming Counter strike GO support this feature.   

Free online play.   

An up-gradable hard drive. Ran out of space? You can easily  upgrade your console's hard drive and stop worrying about any space restrictions.

The PlayStation Move. Despite limited support, the PS Move allows for different options for playing core games. Opinions are mixed but games liked Killzone 3 and Resistance 3 have decent move support.  

A PlayStation plus membership for 50 dollars a year gets you discounts of up to 50% on many PSN titles and free games,themes and wallpapers every  month. 

Future connectivity with the PSVITA.  

The PS3 supports Bluetooth connectivity with a range of devices.

Built in battery on the DualShock 3. This means you don't have to buy batteries or play and charge kits.

Software:

A great range of newer exclusives not available on any other system. Games like Infamous 2, Killzone 3, Uncharted 3, twisted metal

An older backlog of exclusives now at a more affordable price. These games are on the Platinum/Greatest Hits range and you can get them for cheap. Games like Uncharted 1 and 2, the ratchet and clank series-tools of destruction and a crack in time, Heavenly sword, infamous, Gran Turismo 5, valkyria chronicles etc. Check out this forum for more http://www.giantbomb.com/playstation-3/60-35/official-ps3-games-recommendation-thread/35-439018/#49

A raft of HD collections for old PS2/PS1 games at a low $40 price point. Games like the Jak and Daxter HD collection, Sly cooper collection, Prince of persia collection, splinter cell HD collection, Metal Gear solid collection among others. See this page for more collections http://www.giantbomb.com/hd-collection/92-6142/ 

Newer multi-platform PS3 games have exclusive features and even free games. Games like  

Assassins creed revelations (get a free copy of Assassins creed 1) 
    Saints row 3 (get a download code for Saints row 2) 
                                                                             Medal of honor( you get medal of honor frontline for free) 
                                                              Dead space 2(you get a free copy of dead space extraction 
                                                                            Batman Arkham Asylum   Exclusive playable character, The Joker, for challenge rooms

Exclusive and innovative games on the Playstation network. Games like Flower, flow, shatter, Pixel Junk and Wipeout HD 

A number of games which play better on the PS3. Earlier console games did not perform well on the PS3 but lately developers seem to have mastered the system. Games like Darksiders and Alone in the Dark Inferno. 

With all these features there is no reason not to buy a PS3

That being said it's good to consider possible problems you may have with the system. I'll just list a few problems that might put you off. 

1. You may not like the feel of the Dual shock 3. Many people feel that the Dualshock is too small  and may not be the best for bigger hands. I have big hands though and I love it.  
    Also the Dualshock 3's triggers compared to the XBOX360 controller's are  not that great for shooters. Many developers have taken to using the bumpers instead of the triggers for shooters. The PS3 triggers are great for racing games though.

2. You miss out on exclusives on the XBOX360 and Nintendo Wii 

3. Older PS3 games have no trophy support if they are your thing. 

4. The PS3 does not come bundled with a headset so you have to buy your own if your big on online games. 

That's all I can think of for now. Despite some minor issues the PS3 is  a great system with great exclusives. 

In summary 

BUY A PS3!!!!!

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By MikkaQ

200$ for a sweet blu-ray player with a bunch of fun, exclusive games sounds like a steal to me. Go for it.

I wouldn't mind upgrading from my old one, but Canada don't really have no black friday.

jasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By jasta

Uncharted 1,2,3 - inFamous 1,2 - Metal Gear Solid 4 - Killzone 2,3 - Heavy Rain - Ratchet and Clank(s) - God of War 3

Turn your nose up at that, then don't bother.

GunnBjorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By GunnBjorn
    @Shookems said:

@GunnBjorn: Sure, if they ever release it.

A just comment. TLC could very well be the PS3's swansong.
    shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By shadows_kill

If you need people to convince you to buy one then... do you want one really? Either way I'd recommend it if theres games on it you like or want to play. Thats why I got one and love it!

endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By endaround
    Shookems

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Shookems

@shadows_kill: I do want one I'm just kind of stingy and I spend a ton of time playing video games as it is, so I'm somewhat reluctant to dig the hole even deeper. I haven't even started Skyrim yet.

JonathanMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#41  Edited By JonathanMoore

@Spoonman671 said:

Do you like games? The PS3 plays them.
    MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#42  Edited By MooseyMcMan

PS3: Pretty Spectacular 3.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Afroman269

Don't.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#44  Edited By Sooperspy

Uncharted.

IAmNotBatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By IAmNotBatman

I don't care if you have one or not.

Novai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Novai

Uncharted 3 nuff said.

W0lfbl1tzers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#47  Edited By W0lfbl1tzers

Fuck you.

Chemin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#48  Edited By Chemin

Games. That's the only reason you need. Watching blu-ray movies is an awesome bonus, but, heck, games man! The exclusive titles are worth the price of admission alone.

swfcfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By swfcfan

@Shookems said: Currently I do all of my gaming on the PC and I don't own a console.

Maybe you should buy a Wii instead as it has the most games that you wont see on the PC and there cheap.

Sawboss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Sawboss

If you like JRPGs, Valkryria Chronicles is a must have. It is also super cheap at this point as well.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.