Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Did my PS3 just die on me?

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By crusader8463

I decided to clean my room today after the power went out, and I just got done about 5 min ago. I went to turn on my PS3 to make sure I connected it back up it the TV correctly and now it won't turn on. When I hit the power button I hear a beep then it flashes green yellow then red. It worked literally a few hours ago, but now it doesn't and it was just sitting on my bed the entire time.

zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 24

#2  Edited By zidd

That sound like a YLOD alright. You can either pop that sucker open and reflow the chips and or replace the power supply or send it back to Sony.

Berezov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Berezov
    @Zidd said:
    That sound like a YLOD alright. You can either pop that sucker open and reflow the chips or send it back to Sony.
    If you open it up does it void the warranty or anything crazy like that?
    zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By zidd

Your warranty is null and void the second you peel that sticker off.

fraser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By fraser

Yeh, it does indeed sound like YLOD. Happened to me a couple of months ago, ended up just buying a slim.

I'd check YLOD on youtube to see if your system's doing the same thing.

John_Lawlz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By John_Lawlz

What model do you have?

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By crusader8463
    @Zidd: It's on older backwards compatible model that has a PS2game stuck in it. Will they fix it or give me a new shitty model without the backwards compatibility, and will they give me back my game and the saves? I'm about 5 hours from the end of Persona 3 FES and I really don't want to play all that or buy the game again.
    Hichael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Hichael

Wow that really sucks, hope it gets better duder.

zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By zidd

they give you the same model you send them and if you include a note saying that there is a disc in there you get the disc back but your data is all gone except If you are a ps plus member and you uploaded all your stuff to cloud drive in that case your subscription money was worth it. PS2 saves do not transfer over though so the only way to get your P3 save back is to fix the ps3 you already have.

John_Lawlz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By John_Lawlz

I believe you get the game back, but as for the saves I've heard not :/. Sorry, dude.

Hammerhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Hammerhead
    @crusader8463: If you have a friend with a ps3 put your hard drive in there systems and back up your saves to a flash drive or external hard drive before sending it for repair.
    crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By crusader8463
    @Zidd: Ya, I just got done talking to them on the phone. They will give me the game back and the same system model, but all my saves are going to be gone and it's going to cost me $200. Looks like I won't be playing my PS3 any time soon. Just spent $300 on the fucking thing last November. 

Last fucking time I clean my room. It just cost me $200 and a good 60 hours of my life plus all my old saves.  

For an extra kick of irony, I just unplugged my 360 and stuck it back in the box, because after 2-3 years of it just sitting under my TV collecting dust I decided it didn't need to be there any more. I had no plan to play it any time soon between my PC and the shelf full of PS3 games I have to play.
    ColinWright

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By ColinWright
    Take your hard drive out and back up all your shit.
    lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By lego_my_eggo
    @crusader8463: After they stopped making the backwards compatible ps3 they started charging a little more for repairs if you want to keep them, but for a little less they will send you a refurbished non-backwards compatible model. And yes they will give you the game back, they send a box and instructions on how to send it with a paper asking a few thing that you send back, including asking if there is still a game in there.
    crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By crusader8463
    @Hammerhead@wh4tshisface: Don't know anyone to do that with. There some way to do it without another PS3.
    ColinWright

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ColinWright
    @crusader8463 said:
    @Hammerhead@wh4tshisface: Don't know anyone to do that with. There some way to do it without another PS3.
    Best bet would be to order an enclosure from newegg or something.
    lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By lego_my_eggo
    @crusader8463 said:
    Only the same ps3 that the hard drive was in can do a backup, there is no other way to get the data that i know of.
    crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By crusader8463
    @Lego_My_Eggo: I got too many PS2 games I want to play to get a new one.
    ColinWright

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ColinWright
    @Lego_My_Eggo said:
    @crusader8463 said:
    Only the same ps3 that the hard drive was in can do a backup, there is no other way to get the data that i know of.
    Should be able to put it into a external enclosure and put the files on your pc. I really don't know if it works, but I don't see why it wouldn't.
    Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Gabriel

Get your disc out while you can. 

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By lego_my_eggo
    @wh4tshisface said:
    @Lego_My_Eggo said:
    @crusader8463 said:
    Should be able to put it into a external enclosure and put the files on your pc. I really don't know if it works, but I don't see why it wouldn't.
    They encrypt the data so you cant do that, and when you put it in another ps3 it will ask to format it before you can even use it.
    TheGodPoet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By TheGodPoet
    @crusader8463: You can still get the disc out. Just hold the eject button while the PS3 is completely off and then turn it on from the back and it'll spit the disc out and the fan should start going crazy.  

Sucks to hear you got the YLOD. I got it too right after a game of COD. 
    zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By zidd
    @Sincillian: that doesn't always work with the YLOD
    TheGodPoet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TheGodPoet
    @Zidd: It worked for mine. My game was stuck in there so I did that and it spit out the disc. Hopefully it'll work for the OP. 
    Hammerhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Hammerhead
    @wh4tshisface: I'm almost positive a PC doesn't/can't/won't  recognize a PS3 hard drive. Has anyone on here tried and been able to do it?
    crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By crusader8463
    @Zidd@Sincillian: I tried that and it didn't come out.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By xyzygy

It sounds to me like your 360 wanted revenge for being put away. 

But man this sucks, not only did it YLOD but it's a coveted BC model. You dont' know how fast I would kill for one of those. It's a shame you'll be losing all your save data. If that happened to my 360 I would literally just not play it for a long time and start buying games for my PS3. Such a bummer.

Sayishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28  Edited By Sayishere

The best advice i can give you my friend is this link 
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZMQq1Voy8E 

Follow this guide, its called the Hairdryer trick. Maybe like a year ago i had the exact same problem, got the YLOD, a disc was stuck in the drive, my saved games unreachable, i was fucked. Rang up Sony, they told me they couldnt get my save games back but could get the disc back, they offered a same model refurb (i was against this since buying another older backwards compitable PS3 would just lead to it YLODing again) 

This trick allowed me to access my PS3 again, where i backed up my saves and got my disc out. This trick sometimes allows your PS3 to work for a long time, but most cases it goes back to the YLOD state i.e. a temporary fix.

I actually did the immorale thing and actually sold my console of and bought a slim whilst it was temporarily working

This is temporary fix though, but should allow you to get the saves back at least 

I wish you good luck.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By xyzygy
    @Sayishere said:
     I actually did the immorale thing and actually sold my console of and bought a slim whilst it was temporarily working 
    And this kids is why you should never buy a pre owned console.
    Sayishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Sayishere
    @wh4tshisface said:
    Take your hard drive out and back up all your shit.
    By the way taking the hard-drive wont allow you to keep your saves, as soon as you put it in another PS3 it wipes 

Its a really shitty situation to be in (i know by first hand) 

that is why the PSN plus cloud service is ever more tempting, i urge people with older model PS3s to backup saves a least monthly
    Sayishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Sayishere
    @xyzygy said:

@Sayishere said:

And this kids is why you should never buy a pre owned console.
    Trust me i felt good at the time, i was very bitter at Sony for the situation i was in and blamed them, i was just content that i could get my PS3 to work. I actually didnt sell it straight away just so you know, i had it running for a month straight with no problems before i decided to sell it, but yeah doesnt really excuse my behaviour. 
    recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#32  Edited By recroulette

If you haven't backed up your saves before the YLOD, you are pretty much fucked. 

Refurbs aren't that much better, mine lasted a week before it decided that gaming console was beneath it, so it wanted to be a jet engine. 

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By xyzygy
    @Sayishere: Honestly I would probably do the same thing too. At the end of the day the customer who buys it will be able to return it because it's faulty and hopefully they'll run into a legitimate one, but still. I just love new consoles :)
    Homer39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#34  Edited By Homer39

try the hairdryer method to at least get your saves backed up, worked for me when my 80gig died when i was playing MK.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By HitmanAgent47

YLOD, happened to me too, but best buy had a waranty and I got a new 80 gig. No YLOD yet for me for the new one. It stucks the game always gets stuck in there. Most of the time it's a game that really overheats the ps3 to it's limit.

It's amazing your ps3 lasted this long, every single 40 or 60 gig ps3 has this problem. On a long enough timeline, every early sku ps3's survival rate is zero, it's just a matter of time. But the other newer skus doesn't have this problem. Fault solidering or something or the mobo is warping.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#36  Edited By ch13696

Do the towel trick.

Masha2932

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Masha2932

Worst case scenario just buy a ps2 to play your ps2 games, then wait for a price drop(probably after E3) and get a slim with a bigger HD, less power consumption and a quiet fan.

DukesT3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By DukesT3

sorry duder. =( 

elko84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#39  Edited By elko84

i would say clean more often instead of never cleaning again, who wants to live in filth?

defaulttag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By defaulttag
    @crusader8463: Definitely the YLOD. You've got several options to approach this actually 

1. a. If you turn it on and the fan still revs: spend 40 bucks on a heat gun and thermal paste. Follow Gilksy's YLOD fix (google/youtube search 'gilksy'). It involves opening the PS3 and reheating some parts to make them join back together. If done right, your PS3 could survive longer. How long? depends on usage. 
    1. b. If you turn it on, the fan does not rev- could be the power supply. Ebay one, open the PS3 and replace it. make sure to find the correct power supply with your PS3 model.    (Both 1a and 1b allows you to keep your data and provides an opportunity to back it up after the fix) 

2. Contact Sony and send it in to them. They will do their best to repair your current PS3 so your data remains intact. If it's not repairable, they will give you a refurbished machine of the same PS3 model. Never will they send you a new PS3 slim. Also, these refurbished models are old and could experience the YLOD as well. Sony gives you a 90 day warranty on your refurb or repair. Anything beyond that, you'll be charged all over again for the service. Cost is $190 USD (service+shipping altogether). 

3. Buy a new PS3 Slim which is actually more reliable and produces less heat. You lose all your data. You lose PS2 compatibility. $300 USD. 

4. Ebay/Hunt down a working 60GB or 80GB that has PS2 compatibility. Price varies depending on seller and condition of product.  

NOTE: Your original warranty is only for 1 year after purchase. Most likely it's already expired. If it is not expired, Sony should repair the PS3 free of charge. 
    crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By crusader8463
    @defaulttag: For option b, do you just mean the power cable, or the insides itself? I don't want to pry the thing open and fiddle around the insides because I have zero experence with a sodering gun, and I don't want to break the seal.
    Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By GunslingerPanda

My launch PS3 is still running fine. Never had a single problem with it.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By bybeach
    @crusader8463 said:
    @Zidd: Ya, I just got done talking to them on the phone. They will give me the game back and the same system model, but all my saves are going to be gone and it's going to cost me $200. Looks like I won't be playing my PS3 any time soon. Just spent $300 on the fucking thing last November. 

Last fucking time I clean my room. It just cost me $200 and a good 60 hours of my life plus all my old saves.  

For an extra kick of irony, I just unplugged my 360 and stuck it back in the box, because after 2-3 years of it just sitting under my TV collecting dust I decided it didn't need to be there any more. I had no plan to play it any time soon between my PC and the shelf full of PS3 games I have to play.

Any consolation, i went through the same as you a few years back. money and saves. It turned out to be the disc player in my case, but around 200.00 out of pocket.
    defaulttag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By defaulttag
    @crusader8463: No soldering whatsoever is involved. Basically, unplugging small cables, removing a few screws with a philips, taking the power supply out. NOT the power cable. it's an actual part inside. I had no experience with this as well. But using the internet, I was able to take my PS3 apart and fix my YLOD. The fix lasted 6 months with regular use. After that, further fixes only lasted a few hours. I decided to buy a slim. My problem was not the power supply, I used the heat gun and thermal paste. With the power supply, it literally means just disassembling to a certain point, removing the old power supply, connecting the new one (it just mounts on and connects to internal cables). Everything is pretty much plug and play. To keep the seal intact, gilksy has a method for that as well. Use a hair dryer and a razor blade to remove the seal without it showing any 'void' indications. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.