Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Do I have the best setup?

zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By zitosilva

What is the best way to hook up a ps3? This is what I have so far:

My ps3 connected to my Home Theater with a HDMI cable. My Home Theater is connected to my tv via another HDMI cable and an optic cable for the sound. Is the best possible way to do it? Os is it simply better to connect the ps3 directly to the tv and use the surround sound with the Home Theater connected to the tv?

Also, whenever I change my collor settings to full range all my games become very very dark, almost impossible to see anything. Is this normal?

Avatar image for deactivated-612140337177a
    deactivated-612140337177a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

As far as I know it's better to go through a HT system for your audio than it is the TV if your HT system is of "higher" quality. More often than not if you've got HDMI and Optical Audio in a HT then it's sounds like something of decent quality- TVs are generally not built for audio fidelity. Generally, if your HT system has the ability to accept HDMI 1.3 it can act as a great relay to a TV for an HD image and thus you're again prob in the best spot for what you want.

Ha, in the end. For audio it's best to go straight to your HT - forgetting the TV altogether.

For video it "might" be best to again go through the HT system and then to the TV - assuming your HT system has high enough specs to accept and relay a top HD image.

Lastly, your TV will have to support what ever you're trying to feed it. If your PS3 is outputting 1080p and your HT accepting it but your TV maxes out at 720p or 1080i then you will not be sending said 1080p signal to the TV.

zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By zitosilva
    hush404 said:
    "As far as I know it's better to go through a HT system for your audio than it is the TV if your HT system is of "higher" quality. More often than not if you've got HDMI and Optical Audio in a HT then it's sounds like something of decent quality- TVs are generally not built for audio fidelity. Generally, if your HT system has the ability to accept HDMI 1.3 it can act as a great relay to a TV for an HD image and thus you're again prob in the best spot for what you want.

Ha, in the end. For audio it's best to go straight to your HT - forgetting the TV altogether.

For video it "might" be best to again go through the HT system and then to the TV - assuming your HT system has high enough specs to accept and relay a top HD image.

Lastly, your TV will have to support what ever you're trying to feed it. If your PS3 is outputting 1080p and your HT accepting it but your TV maxes out at 720p or 1080i then you will not be sending said 1080p signal to the TV."
    I'll have to check this last part. I'll test a game that has the 1080p capacity. If it does it should show up on the screen as the game starts, right?
    Tomzombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Tomzombie

soon ill have a surround sound 7 and a 92in projector with HDIM and the RBG cable  that would look awesome. ill change my comment when i get the stuff wen ever that would be 

Avatar image for deactivated-612140337177a
    deactivated-612140337177a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

zitosilva said:
    "hush404 said:
    "As far as I know it's better to go through a HT system for your audio than it is the TV if your HT system is of "higher" quality. More often than not if you've got HDMI and Optical Audio in a HT then it's sounds like something of decent quality- TVs are generally not built for audio fidelity. Generally, if your HT system has the ability to accept HDMI 1.3 it can act as a great relay to a TV for an HD image and thus you're again prob in the best spot for what you want.

Lastly, your TV will have to support what ever you're trying to feed it. If your PS3 is outputting 1080p and your HT accepting it but your TV maxes out at 720p or 1080i then you will not be sending said 1080p signal to the TV."
    I'll have to check this last part. I'll test a game that has the 1080p capacity. If it does it should show up on the screen as the game starts, right?"
    Not necessarily. I mean, your HT could downscale the image when sending it to your TV. Look for settings on your TV and HT in regards to this. Even better, hook up your PS3 to your TV directly, if you can get the PS3 to display a 1080p image (it'll be in the display settings - no game need booted) then you'll know if it supports it. Actually, now that I think about it, there's an auto setup thing in the display menu on the PS3 which will auto-detect the max resolution of your TV, so do that while connected to the TV and it'll tell you your max. If it's 1080p then you're good, then it's off to check the settings for your HT and whether or not it outputs a 1080p signal.

Actually, just had another idea. Look up the brand and model number of your TV and HT systems on the internet (google) and they should be listed at each companies website with specs related to what we're talking about.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.