Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Do they sell backwards compatible PS3's anymore?

bekern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By bekern

My PS2 broke last year and I really want a PS3, so I figure I might as well get one with backwards compatibility, but can I even get one in a store? I remember there was this big deal about how they were discontinuing the PS3 with backwards compatibility awhile back, but have they released a model with it since then? If so, which model is it?

And I guess I am open to buying one on ebay if they don't sell them anymore, even though I really hate buying things online, but which PS3 model was compatible in the first place? I really haven't been keeping up with this stuff :/

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By HandsomeDead

Not in the UK they don't. There's a chart up on the Wikipedia saying what SKU does what.

chililili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By chililili

Your best bet is the MGS4 bundle since its tghe newest, I think I saw some like 2 months ago. Other than that try eBay but they'll gouge your eyes out.

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Demyx

No more new consoles support backward's compatibility.

Only the 60GB (discontinued), 20GB (discontinued), and the limited edition MGS4 80GB bundle could support backwards compatibility.
    ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By ZenaxPure

While I am no expert (as I don't have a PS3 just yet) I do know that my friend was complaining about a lot of his PS1 games being barely functional/freezing etc on his BC PS3. He bought his new when MGS4 came out.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6  Edited By kush

Your best bet is Ebay or Gamestop, but I've heard that the BC PS3s are going for quite to bag of cash now...

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By LiquidPrince

They are pretty hard to find. You can try Ebay.

Avatar image for deactivated-612140337177a
    deactivated-612140337177a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You wont find a BC PS3 in stores. Only used ones or ones that have been kicking around in someone's basement - cuz they bought em up thinking they'd make a quick buck on ebay :P

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#9  Edited By Chummy8

The PS3s are no longer backward compatible?  Man that was one of my main reasons to buy the console after this current generation.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TekZero said:
    "The PS3s are no longer backward compatible?  Man that was one of my main reasons to buy the console after this current generation."
    Give em time and I bet they'll introduce some software solution, but as it stands - the PS3 models in stores have no BC. Weird, as the 2 models they first came out with had like 99.99% perfect emulation for PS2 games.
    kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#11  Edited By kush
    hush404 said:
    "TekZero said:
    "The PS3s are no longer backward compatible?  Man that was one of my main reasons to buy the console after this current generation."
    Give em time and I bet they'll introduce some software solution, but as it stands - the PS3 models in stores have no BC. Weird, as the 2 models they first came out with had like 99.99% perfect emulation for PS2 games."
    No...they are not going to be introducing a software solution. They are going to start selling old PS1/PS2 games through PSN.
    LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#12  Edited By LordAndrew
    Kush said:
    "hush404 said:
    "TekZero said:
    Give em time and I bet they'll introduce some software solution, but as it stands - the PS3 models in stores have no BC. Weird, as the 2 models they first came out with had like 99.99% perfect emulation for PS2 games."
    No...they are not going to be introducing a software solution. They are going to start selling old PS1/PS2 games through PSN."
    But if they're going to sell PS2 games through PSN, there has to be some software solution capable of playing them. Porting each game individually would take more effort than it's worth, so they'd have to use emulation.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kush said:
    "hush404 said:
    "TekZero said:
    No...they are not going to be introducing a software solution. They are going to start selling old PS1/PS2 games through PSN."
    Which would be a software solution, no? and like 'lordandrew' says  - they've got to get something working to play those downloaded games - aka an emulator! It's not like they're going to completely re-do those older games for download, they're merely going to get emulation working for them. PS1 games are already available because every PS3 has the software to do so.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.