Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Do you backup your PS3 HDD?

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By mordukai
    mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By mordukai

Come to think of it, it's that time of the month. 

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Andorski

Nope.  Never heard of a PS3 getting hard drive errors, so I don't bother with it.

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By Demyx

I don't really have any reason to, there aren't many games on my PS3. And if it were to crash or die, it would be w/e.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Diamond

I back up new saves to memory cards almost every time I made progress in a game, as long as the game lets me.  I only just got a external USB HDD when I bought a 320GB HDD for my PS3 and did the full backup process.  That process is largely unnecessary and takes too long anyways.

This isn't about HDDs dying, if your PS3 ever dies and you don't back up your saves you will lose ALL the saves, you can't use it on a new PS3.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mordukai
    @Diamond: SO even if I backup my HDD I won't be able to use saves on a new PS3? I thought the whole point of having that option is for that purpose.  

Edit: Never mind, I misunderstood your post. You meant that if your PS3 dies and you don't backup your saves then you won't be able to use that HDD on your new PS3 unless you reformat it. At least I think thats what you meant. 
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Diamond
    @Mordukai said:
    @Diamond: SO even if I backup my HDD I won't be able to use saves on a new PS3? I thought the whole point of having that option is for that purpose.
    No, if you DON'T back up you can't use the old HDD in a new PS3 without reformatting.  Lots of people don't seem to understand that.

I hear that using the backup function is no better than copying saves to a USB flash or anything, as you can't restore copy protected saves on a new PS3 either.  Not 100% certain but pretty sure.
    mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mordukai
    @Diamond said:
    " @Mordukai said:
    No, if you DON'T back up you can't use the old HDD in a new PS3 without reformatting.  Lots of people don't seem to understand that.  I hear that using the backup function is no better than copying saves to a USB flash or anything, as you can't restore copy protected saves on a new PS3 either.  Not 100% certain but pretty sure. "
    I think it has something to do with profiles. Since Sony implemented the trophies, the PS3 will only let you play saves that were saved under your profile. 
    spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#9  Edited By spazmaster666

Since I back up all my saves regularly (onto flash memory), I don't really bother with hard drive backups since most of that is either game install data or downloaded content.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By mordukai
    @spazmaster666 said:

" Since I back up all my saves regularly (onto flash memory), I don't really bother with hard drive backups since most of that is either game install data or downloaded content. "

I just checked on my PS3 and the Killzone 2 save that I have can't be copied to a flash stick. 
    spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#11  Edited By spazmaster666
    @Mordukai said:

I just checked on my PS3 and the Killzone 2 save that I have can't be copied to a flash stick.  "

That's true, but most of the saves I have are transferable so it's that big of a deal to me (since I will do an HD backup at some point, just not regularly). If newer games all start to lock out the save transferring feature then I may start backing up more often.
    asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By asurastrike
    @Mordukai said:
    " Come to think of it, it's that time of the month.  "
    lol at your unintentional hilarity.
    knicknak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By knicknak

If you PSN account share games, will the backup preserve the settings necessary to play shared games? 

i.e. my friend logs in on his account, downloads his PSN games, I backup my system 
    If I replace my harddrive, or something else happens where I need to reformat, can I restore the backed up image and continue to use the shared games? 

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By mordukai
    @knicknak said:
    " If you PSN account share games, will the backup preserve the settings necessary to play shared games?   i.e. my friend logs in on his account, downloads his PSN games, I backup my system If I replace my harddrive, or something else happens where I need to reformat, can I restore the backed up image and continue to use the shared games?  "
    Did I get it right? Did you just say that you basically pirate PSN games? 
    knicknak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By knicknak

No read their policies, game sharing with up to 5 people is Supported by Sony.  

You should really do some research before you accuse people of things.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By HitmanAgent47

absolutely not, I can't be bothered with such nonsense.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By eroticfishcake

I guess I should but I'm not entirely sure how. I just use an external harddrive do I? I can take it from there if that's the case. I know it varies but roughly how big is it, for say, just save games for 4 games and nothing else?

timay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By timay

I have backed up my ps3 twice and both times where because i was putting in a bigger hard drive and too lazy to re-download everything

JukeboxJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By JukeboxJoe

I don't, but I'm going to start as I just got YLOD and lost 2 years worth of saved data >.>
    sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#20  Edited By sjschmidt93

No. 

My trophies are the only thing on there I would be remotely pissed about losing. 

Everything else, like games, can just be redownloaded. As for saves, well I really don't care about them.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MeierTheRed

I back up once in a while, when ever i feel like it.

GigelDuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By GigelDuru

I backup my ps3 HDD with http://www.dmailer.com/dmailer-backup.html  once a month . As is a free software i also store my hdd online on their servers so it can be secured and i don't worry of loosing it .
    I didn't had any problems with my ps3 hd but who knows the bad luck will strike it , better to be prepared than taken by surprise

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By iam3green

no, i don't back up my things.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.