Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Does Skipping An Update Break PS3 or Am I Just Unlucky?

NinjaTard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By NinjaTard

Maybe this is a stupid question in which case I deserve this but my PS3 60gig model died in May and I sent it to a company called PSR1.com for repair. It was $130 total so a little cheaper than Sony and I got it back start of this month. Thing is I didn't really use it much, I didn't do firmware update 3.21 since I was waiting to see if there would be a way to keep the Other OS while also being able to get on PSN and download games and Rock Band stuff. I finally gave up tonight and downloaded firmware update 3.30 or whatever the new one is so I skipped an update completely (3.21 never hit my PS3). It loaded off my jump drive, reset, and then......blinking red light. I cussed but remained calm thinking surely this wasn't the same thing I just endured last month. Alas....my PS3 doesn't turn on, just does the yellow light to a blinking red light of death.

Is this my fault for skipping 3.21 or did my console just get shitty repair work. Or could my system just have lived it's life sooner than Sony planned (I got it in Oct. 2006 I believe.....pretty short of the 10 year plan Sony talks about). What do you guys think, surely you know more about this crap than I do. Thanks!

BunkerBuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By BunkerBuster

Yo son, your ps3 got bricked. 
    Never send it to third-party companies, they don't have the parts and will use "creative" methods to solve what they think is wrong with it. Time to save up enough money to buy another one.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By ch13696

Yeah it's not the fact that you skipped a firmware. Maybe it's not the fact that you had a shitty repair. It could be all kinds of stuff. But, does that website have a warranty? If so then I suggest you take up on that since you're now out of warranty with Sony.

chililili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By chililili

Yeah that was also pretty crappy move 130 dollars? Sony charges 150 and I believe they give you some sort of warranty. Also firmware updates sometimes brick consoles but only if it was already going down.

NinjaTard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By NinjaTard

It's got 90 day warranty so I won't be paying to repair it this time. I just hate that it takes a month from the time I send it to the time I get it back. I had just bought FF13 when it died before and when I saw it was coming back I had a chance to get Infamous for $10 so I got that waiting for a working system too!

Thank goodness my Xbox and Red Dead Redemption will take care of me in the interum.

Also....next time I'll go to Sony even if it does cost a little more. I went with the PSR1 people because they implied I would get the system right back and I figured 2 week wait was better than over a month wait as I assumed Sony would take longer.

chililili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By chililili

So did you fix it or no news?

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#8  Edited By Yummylee
    @hush404:  
    I just noticed you have 484 posts...yet on the PS3 board it says you've posted 546 posts! =O What evil sorcery is this??
    Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By Jack268

@Abyssfull said:

" @hush404:  I just noticed you have 484 posts...yet on the PS3 board it says you've posted 546 posts! =O What evil sorcery is this?? "

Fucking miracles
    chililili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By chililili
    @Abyssfull said:
    " @hush404:  I just noticed you have 484 posts...yet on the PS3 board it says you've posted 546 posts! =O What evil sorcery is this?? "
    I think for a while posts where not registering well, I remember that I also used to post and my count would not go up
    ltcoljaxson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By ltcoljaxson
    @NinjaTard: 

When my 60GB PS3 got the Yellow light, I got the box to send it to Sony within a day after calling them - and then they sent back the repaired PS3 only 3 days after and it has worked since. It was the same console too, I had this random sticker on the back to make sure.
    Bluethunder35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By Bluethunder35

I've skipped updates maybe twice or three times and it didn't harm my 60 GB model when I finally did download the firmware.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.