Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Drawbacks to switching hard drive?

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By AuthenticM

I have the original 60GB sku (bought it roughly two weeks before it was discontinued) and want to get a bigger HDD. I know that switching hard drives with the 360 is a big hassle as you have to continually be connected to the net in order to play the games you've downloaded through the store, among other things. So before I buy a new hard drive for my PS3, I want to know if there are any drawbacks at all in doing so.

elbow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By elbow

I'd also like to know this as well... I've got a whole bunch of downloaded content and so forth, is there anyway to transfer data?

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By AuthenticM
    elbow said:
    "

I'd also like to know this as well... I've got a whole bunch of downloaded content and so forth, is there anyway to transfer data?

"
    That, yes. There is a built-in utility to backup your PS3 data.
    AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By AuthenticM

bump

I would really appreciate if someone could tell me if there are any drawbacks at all in switching hard drives.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
    AuthenticM said:
    "I have the original 60GB sku (bought it roughly two weeks before it was discontinued) and want to get a bigger HDD. I know that switching hard drives with the 360 is a big hassle as you have to continually be connected to the net in order to play the games you've downloaded through the store, among other things. So before I buy a new hard drive for my PS3, I want to know if there are any drawbacks at all in doing so."
    Its obvious you've done 0 research on this since you actually believe you have to be connected to the net to play games you've downloaded on 360, if you were good at doing research you would know they had long since allowed you to use a license transfer tool so you dont have to get on xbox live to play downloaded games any more that you've transfered from another controller.

But regardless of that http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/settings/backuputility.html

so no there is no drawback

jangofett88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By jangofett88
    AuthenticM said:
    "I have the original 60GB sku (bought it roughly two weeks before it was discontinued) and want to get a bigger HDD. I know that switching hard drives with the 360 is a big hassle as you have to continually be connected to the net in order to play the games you've downloaded through the store, among other things. So before I buy a new hard drive for my PS3, I want to know if there are any drawbacks at all in doing so."
    You'll need a usb external HDD formatted in FAT32 to use the backup utility. From what I hear OS's later than Windows 98 you have to create multiple partitions on HDD larger than 32GB. Once you back up your stuff, just switch out the internal HDD (there's a few screws) then go to the backup utility to restore your stuff. Also with the 360, you don't have to remain connected to Live to use your downloaded content if you upgrade the HDD, just if you use a different console than the one you bought the content with. And even then, there's a Liscence consolidator on xbox.com so you can move your liscences to a new console (which I will say is a hassle to re-download your liscences if you've made  several purchases) and acces your stuff offline.
    drakesfortune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By drakesfortune

I haven't found any drawbacks and I upgraded my HD about a year ago.  The only tough part is transferring your old stuff to the new HD.  I don't know if or how that affects trophies as I made the change prior to the release of trophies.  I don't think it affects them though.

super_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By super_machine

No, you may have to re-download some things. But I think you can backup your data onto another drive...etc. If it comes to it, you can always re-download anything you bought over the PSN.

Ironknight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#9  Edited By Ironknight

if you just want saves and game data just use a jump drive and just unscrew the hard drive and put in a new one

SSbabel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By SSbabel

If you aren't shore how too, or aren't confident how to do it, i advice not to do it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.