Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Error Code 80010514

Gaius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Gaius

So, I got this error code, 80010514. From what I can tell I think it means the Blu-ray drive is done. I was just wondering if any of you guys knew exactly what it means and if it can be fixed. If not, does anyone know how much this is going to cost me? I'm pretty sure this is going to be a crap load of money to fix, and if it is, I think I'm putting all my crap on ebay.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By LiquidPrince

I believe it means that the Blu-ray drive has failed. You need to contact Sony and they will probably send you a box for you to ship the console in and will fix it for you. Can take about a week or two to fix and return.

Gaius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Gaius

That's what I figured. I don't know if I'll call Sony though. It's out of warranty and I don't have the money to repair my PS3. Knowing Sony this will cost at minimum a couple of hundred.

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Ineedaname

Sony seem pretty good at getting a new one, I got my slim PS2 replaced within a week for free outside of the warranty.
    That was a while ago though.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By LiquidPrince
    Gaius said:
    That's what I figured. I don't know if I'll call Sony though. It's out of warranty and I don't have ... [more]
    You never know. No harm in calling.
    Gaius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Gaius

Well, I went to the support site for the PS3 and it says it's going to cost around $150, and that's their estimate, who knows what it will be in the end.

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By keyhunter

You can buy an XBOX 360 for 150 dollars.

Gaius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Gaius
    keyhunter said:
    You can buy an XBOX 360 for 150 dollars.
    True, but I already have one. :P
    sfighter21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By sfighter21
    Gaius said:
    keyhunter said: You can buy an XBOX 360 for 150 dollars. True, but I already have one. :P [more]
    Besides, it will just die in like 2 months...lol.  jk, I'm by no means a fanboy.  That sucks though.  I fear the day I get that error code...
    keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By keyhunter

In that case, you could buy a 16 inch statue of clubber lang, and a 12 inch marcus.

Gaius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Gaius

Update: I was backing up my PS3 before I sent it off, and I just decided to try putting in a disc again (which I have done a million times since it broke) and somehow it loaded up. I put in Killzone 2 and was playing online for about an hour and didn't have any problems.  What I don't know is if the problem actually went away or if this was just a fluke and it's going to break again on me when I least expect it.

What do you guys think? Did it fix itself or is it just going to die on me again and I should just send it to get it fixed?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.