Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Games that have aged well

nunami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By nunami

In response to the  Games that have aged badly thread and as a new PS3 owner with no games I'm hoping someone can help out with what games have aged well?

There must be heaps of games that have been on the system since launch that are still worth a look and hopefully at a low price!

Heavenly Sword is high on my list of games to get.

zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#2  Edited By zanzibarbreeze
    I'm going back and reviewing my old PS3 games. A couple of weeks ago I realized that for the last two years I've just been buying games without actually playing them. Check out the two Resistance games, The Darkness, Uncharted, definitely Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2 - great game, The Orange Box (worked perfectly for me with very few graphical/frame rate issues despite what's been said about the PS3 version), and the Motorstorm games.

Metal Gear Solid 4 is, in my opinion, a complete waste of time, and I would not go back and play it if you haven't picked it up already.
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#3  Edited By AgentJ
    @ZanzibarBreeze: I would definitely disagree on MGS4. In fact, IMO its one of the only console-selling games on the PS3. 
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By xyzygy

Try Folklore. It's hard to say if it aged well or not because there aren't really any other games out there like it, well none that I've played. I played it when I got my PS3 in summer 2008 and had a blast.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By SSully

Well the original uncharted, resistance fall of man, motorstorm(the sequel is better), and oblivion are all good places to start. Oh and @ZanzibarBreeze:  MGS4 is one of  my favorite games, maybe its because i am a fan of MGS games, but i thought it was excellent.

zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6  Edited By zanzibarbreeze
    @AgentJ said:

" @ZanzibarBreeze: I would definitely disagree on MGS4. In fact, IMO its one of the only console-selling games on the PS3.  "

I don't want to turn this into an MGS4 thread, but just quickly - I can understand why you might like the game, but I would not recommend it to anyone today. I'm gonna box this because it's not thread related. 

In terms of the original topic, I just want to add that a lot of the old games on the PS3 that are worth playing are multiplatform anyway. About the only exclusives worth playing are ones by Sony - Ratchet and Clank, et cetera. There's also a plethora of stuff that you might want to check out on the PlayStation Network if you've got access to it - Wipeout is amazing, and the PixelJunk stuff is great.
    voodooterror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By voodooterror
    @nunami said:
    "Heavenly Sword is high on my list of games to get. "
    that game was bad when it first came out, so even if a has aged well, its still a poor title 
    penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By penguindust

I had a lot of fun with the first Ratchet and Clank Future game and that was a near launch title I believe.  Additionally, the first Resistance was much more fun (single player) than the sequel in my opinion.  Of course, there is Burnout Paradise, but surely you must have played that by now.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By turboman
    @VoodooTerror: I really love it when it first came out, I'm sure it stands out as solid today as well(I beat that game in two playthroughs, so it's short)
    nunami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By nunami
    @VoodooTerror: 
    Aw, is it worth a play on the cheap?
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @nunami said:

" @VoodooTerror:  Aw, is it worth a play on the cheap? "

Dont listen to him (or her) its a fantastic game and is very cheap now.

I purchased it at full price and have no regrets, it is fairly short though yet fun as fuck.

EDIT: Just noticed that I sounded like an assehole there, didnt mean to say that VoodooTerrors opinion shouldnt be listened to. I just meant that I disagree with it strongly.
    Lawrens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By Lawrens

Aged well on the ps3? It's only been like 3 years. They all look pretty fine to me. 

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By Marz

Cel shaded games age well in terms of graphical appearance throughout the years.   I still think the Wind Waker looks fantastic.

*edit*
    nvm your talking ps3 games

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By animateria
    @xyzygy said:
    " Try Folklore. It's hard to say if it aged well or not because there aren't really any other games out there like it, well none that I've played. I played it when I got my PS3 in summer 2008 and had a blast. "
    It's also the only game that used the Sixaxis pretty darn well. Looks impressive to say the least.
    voodooterror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By voodooterror
    @NekuSakuraba said:
    " @nunami said:

" @VoodooTerror:  Aw, is it worth a play on the cheap? "

Dont listen to him (or her) its a fantastic game and is very cheap now.  I purchased it at full price and have no regrets, it is fairly short though yet fun as fuck.  EDIT: Just noticed that I sounded like an assehole there, didnt mean to say that VoodooTerrors opinion shouldnt be listened to. I just meant that I disagree with it strongly. "
    i completed it in two hours, which i guess is my major gripe with it having paid £20 for it, but if you can find it for £5-10 then its probably worth it, the gameplay is solid if not a little bland
    mrcellophane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By mrcellophane

LIttleBigPlanet. It may be years old, but still has a very active community with THOUSANDS of levels published daily, and lots of active users. 
    I don't think it'll ever get old.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By Ghostiet

LittleBigPlanet, Valkyria Chronicles, Motorstorm, Ratchet & Clank, the first Resistance, Folklore - most definetly. The lack of trophies in those except LittleBigPlanet kinda bugs in the ass, but they're all very good.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By xyzygy
    @ZanzibarBreeze: Hehe, I bought my PS3 for MGS4 when it launched in 2008. Let's just say I felt empty inside after beating it. I still liked it but it definitely wasn't worth all the money I spent on a PS3 which I barely play to this day. Damn you MGS4!
    RageousX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By RageousX

LittleBigPlanet is flawless and stronger than ever, Wipeout HD is pushing two years old and still just as fresh as when it came out, Ratchet & Clank (Both Tools of Destruction -- the non trophy-supported one, and A Crack In Time), Resistance: Fall of Man is arguably stronger than the sequel, Warhawk will forever be worth every minute you choose to actually dedicate to it.

Strongly disagree with all the positive sentiment for MGS4, which I got with my console, played for three hours and never touched again. I wasn't a fan to begin with, and it didn't make me want to become one.

nunami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By nunami

thanks everyone for all the suggestions! all comments greatly appreciated

Additional question, out of the two Motorstorm games, is there much of a difference? Is there any point in buying the first if I get the second and visa versa?

Keeng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21  Edited By Keeng
    @nunami: The sequel is a lot better. It's faster and the level design stepped up significantly. The online mode is also way better than in the original. It's an all-around better game. It's also super cheap now. The original is at like $15 most places but the sequel is just over $20.
    Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#22  Edited By Godwind

@ZanzibarBreeze: 

Would you say that Metal Gear Solid 4 is the weakest of all three?

mesklinite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By mesklinite

Psychonaugts I'm playing right now. It's awesome!!
    jNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By jNerd
    @AgentJ said:
    " @ZanzibarBreeze: I would definitely disagree on MGS4. In fact, IMO its one of the only console-selling games on the PS3.  "

Seconded

esotericus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25  Edited By esotericus

Another nod to Heavenly Sword here. I just recently started playing it and I'm having a good time. Best of all, my wife enjoys watching me play it. Also, it's fun to play a game from back in the day when developers were actually eager to us the Sixaxis.

That said, I really wish they would add trophy support.  Grumble grumble.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#26  Edited By Yummylee
    @ZanzibarBreeze said:
    "@AgentJ said:

I don't want to turn this into an MGS4 thread, but just quickly - I can understand why you might like the game, but I would not recommend it to anyone today. I'm gonna box this because it's not thread related. 

It's not all that good-looking anymore, the gameplay is stale, and, when it comes to being a game, it's not even that much of a game. There's a good five hours of gameplay, and then the rest is comprised entirely of very, very long cutscenes. And I'm not sure that it's a game that moves consoles anymore. It might have been once upon a time, perhaps only because of the hype, but all that hype has died down now. You might buy a PS3 for Uncharted 2, but I'm not sure you'd buy one for MGS4. :)

Agree completely.
    davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By davidwitten22

My roommate and I are forcing our way through Resistance right now and I can honestly say I hate it. It's just not very fun. Maybe I got it too late, but I have derived very little enjoyment out of it. Play a demo first. I like Valkyria Chronicles (though I'm terrible at it), Ratchet and Clank, Uncharted has aged quite well, Bioshock if you haven't already, and I play UFC Undisputed 2009 almost every single day.

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Godwind

Wait, why are we talking about games that are less than 4 years old?
    Bluethunder35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Bluethunder35

It's funny but other than LittleBigPlanet and Valkyria Chronicles, I can't think of another older PS3 game that has aged well in my opinion...and the PS3 is my main gaming console.
    However, I've found at least two on the Wii in Super Mario Galaxy and Super Smash Brothers Brawl 
    I'll tell you this, though. 4-5 years from now, God Of War 3 will remain revered. That game will be like a fine wine.

Ben99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Ben99

Valkyrie chronicles , Fallout 3 , burnout paradise are the best damn games I ever played especially FALLOUT 3 

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#31  Edited By Yummylee

I can still play plenty of my ps1 games and have fun. Parasite Eve 2, the RE trilogy, Dino Crisis 2 and the fear effect games to name a few. 
    Yeah they all happen to essentially be of the same game genre too, i know ;P

AngelKore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By AngelKore

What everybody else has said are good choices (Motorstorm, Uncharted, MGS4, etc) 
    But, in general, I would probably have to say Burnout Paradise. I decided to go back to it for a completely fresh run through the game, and I have to say it stands up brilliantly. Even by today's standards it looks beautiful, it has plenty of extra content (Which can now all be purchased in bulk for only $30) and it's still, to date, the best racing game this generation IMO. Already sunk another 20 hours into it and not even thinking about stopping.
    EDIT: That, and Fallout 3. Between those two games you have at least 75 hours of gaming to get done, not including Fallout 3's DLC.

thecleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By thecleric

I believe Darkness still looks great, either way, if you've never played it, I reccomend it to anyone. Graphics or not, easily the Riddick of this generation(you know, the little fps that no one expected to be awesome) and it's like 10 bucks.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#34  Edited By mosespippy
    @nunami said:

" thanks everyone for all the suggestions! all comments greatly appreciated Additional question, out of the two Motorstorm games, is there much of a difference? Is there any point in buying the first if I get the second and visa versa? "

The second one is way better. Twice as many tracks, there is actually variation in the enviroments of the tracks, better local multiplayer, monster trucks and trophies. I had heard a while ago that the motorstorm 1 online servers were shutdown, so the second one is 1000X better just for that.  The expansions for Pacific Rift add more tracks than what is on the first games disc.

Other games that aged well are Valkyria Chronicles and PJ Eden. Technically LAIR aged well because about a year after it came out they patched it so you can use the sticks insead of 6axis and now it is actually playable.

Games that still have great online communities still are Warhawk, Burnout Paradise and Motorstorm Pacific Rift. Warhawk is a personal favourite of mine. I have probably close to 800 hours in it. It still holds up for me, but the level of play now is so different than when it launched so I'm not sure a new guy could jump in. To be good at that game now you need to know all the little tricks like plane dismounts and backwards locks, as well as map control.
    mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#35  Edited By mosespippy

@Godwind said:

" Wait, why are we talking about games that are less than 4 years old? "

Because there are games like GTA4. Sure it has great graphics, but the game design is very mid generation PS2 styled with clunky shooting and driving. The game feels old and unplayable when held up against modern designed games.
    LordMaiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By LordMaiden

I'll say God of War 1 & 2. It still plays great.

GrimFandango9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By GrimFandango9

Not many of the launch titles have aged very well in my opinion. Going back to the original Motorstorm is a clunky mess but it still looks pretty good. The original uncharted is still worth a play, the shooting isn't as good as the second but the charm is there. 

Rayeth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Rayeth

I just bought Wipeout HD and that game is awesome.  I am having a blast, although the online competition is a bit scarce (and much much better than me) I think even without the Fury addon it has aged very well.

Jordan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Jordan23

Heavenly Sword and Uncharted: Drake's Fortune

Synthballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Synthballs

The original Ratchet and Clank Future

irish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By irish

Far Cry still looks awesome and has some great AI

kabphillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By kabphillie

Valkyria Chronicles has and will age very well, both in artstyle and gameplay.

davidh219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#43  Edited By davidh219

Ratchet and Clank, nuff said. 

The first Uncharted also holds up pretty well imo. Other than that, I guess LittleBig Planet? 

Maybe it's just me but I didn't play the first Resistance game until I got my PS3 like a little over a year ago and I think it looks and plays like shit. I will never be able to stomach it long enough to beat it. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.