Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Gonna attempt to fix YLOD

chililili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By chililili

Hey guys my PS3 got the infamous YLOD, which pretty much sucks and I'm going to attempt to fix as per the following video
     http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_Ic1_TY-GU

I was wondering if anyone had any tips regarding the repair or on which heat gun to buy? Also what do you recommend me to use as a surface? Has anyone else attempted this method and their ps3 brick on them or something?

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By awesomeusername

My PS3 got the same thing and then got stolen while we were moving.-_- :'(

chililili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By chililili

Fixed that bitch up now thanks for the help

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By iam3green

nice man, i want to know how it went in detail. 

i tried fixing a broken xbox 360 that i got from craiglist but didn't work. i ended up just using it for parts.

defaulttag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By defaulttag
    @chililili: i used the gilksy method. it totally worked! YLOD free since august 2010 here. 80GB backwards compatible MGS4 bundle. 
    subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By subject2change

It is not worth it, I was too lazy to buy a heatgun but found some local place that did it for 75. I had them do it and after a month it returned, had them do it again (due to warranty) and it came back after 3 weeks. I sent it off to sony for refurb. The refurb looks brand new. Kinda wish I did that in the first place, o wells I spend 75 bucks for 2 months and being able to back up my save files.

@defaulttag
     Really? wow, do you use it often?

defaulttag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By defaulttag
    @Subject2Change: I use it everyday, for about 3 or 4 hours. i've had 7 to 8 hour sessions on it maybe 5 times since the fix and nothing bad happened. i did folding@home 3 times for 12 hours just to stress test right after the fix. again, nothing bad happened. I altered gilksy's method by waiting 50 minutes for the mobo to cool rather than his recommended 15 to 20 minutes (just to make sure all the solder joints were fully solid) before handling it again. Other than that, I did everything exactly as gilksy. 
    subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By subject2change

Hmmm surprising, must of been a shoddy job by the guys i had do mine (didn't have time to invest and didn't want to go out to buy a heatgun), o wells. I read many people saying it only lasted them 1-2months so I thought it was normal.

chililili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By chililili
    @iam3green:  Just the important pointers on how my fix was different from the youtube video, I have a 40 gb system with no backwards compatibility as such the CMOS battery was on the motherboard and I was unsure if it would be damaged by the heat but it wasn't so don't worry about that. Any other detail than that is of little to no importance my heat gun had an intensity changer but it did not display the actual temperature so I sort of winged it. The bad thing is that in order to see if the method worked you have to put the entire thing back together and if it doesn't work you have to take it apart all over again.

@Subject2Change:
    Yeah the fix should last a long while, and if it breaks down I still got my heat gun, the ps3 is still working though.
    mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By mosespippy

Heat gun fix is only temporary and it was too late to work for mine. Now that your's is working BACK UP ALL YOUR SAVES before it happens again. If you have to buy a replacement (which you will have to do, or send it to sony for a refurb) you can't just swap in your old PS3s hard drive because whenever a new hard drive gets put in it automatically formats it.

AnnouncerGXZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By AnnouncerGXZ

i cant read your original post cause the ad is covering it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.