Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

HDMI help?

Fix2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Fix2

I have a question about the hdmi and the sound, I have the hdmi hooked up on ps3 to tv and I use aux cables to hook up my home theather system. My audio system is 5.1 surround sound but when I go on the audio settings to detect it only detects the tvs 2 speaker sysytem, is there any way I can get it to signal the 5.1 like this or am I gonna have to get a reciever to plug in the ps3 to surround sound?

changgo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By changgo

May be because you are using aux cables (just a white one and a red one?); you can't carry 5.1 sound over those.  To get true 5.1 you have to use either HDMI or optical out with the PS3.  Hope that helps.

Avatar image for origina1penguin
    Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Origina1Penguin

There is an audio selection in the settings.  I think it should auto-detect possible outputs, but you can manually choose to output 5.1.  If you have an output selected that can't be used, then you'll get an error message when starting a game.  That's what happened to me anyways.  Make sure you have your stereo system set to match as well.  Mine is kind of funky, so I had to manually set each input/output.  I hope that helps.

EDIT: Also make sure you change the settings so that it does not try to put sound through the HDMI.  I think it defaults to that.

KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By KamasamaK

Also make sure it's outputting the bitstream, because PCM over 2.0 can only be output through HDMI.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.