Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Help - Fat 40gb making loud humming sound with idle Blu Rays

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Lukeweizer

I've had a dvd in the system for a while and have had fan or disc drive sounds that are loud for several seconds, but then stop. But this morning when I took out the dvd and put in Ni No Kuni, the system started humming loudly. I proceeded with the installation process for the game and it continued with the humming only when the disc WASN'T being read. It's even humming when a Blu Ray is sitting in it but I'm watching Netflix. I tried putting in some other Blu Rays (games and movies) and had the same result. It's whisper quiet when a plain old DVD is sitting in it.

Is anyone familiar with this issue? I've had to send my PS3 in twice for repairs due to yellow light of death, but I never encountered this. I've tried doing the fan test to see if that clears it up, but it doesn't.

Note: the system is vertical.

Edit: I swear I changed the forum to Playstation 3 platform before I posted. Sorry Mods.

dadjumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I can't say I'm super familiar with this issue, but maybe that sound is coming from the HDD? Having the stock one in for so long I'd assume it'll deteriorate eventually.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.