Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

help with disemble blu ray drive

AnnouncerGXZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By AnnouncerGXZ

How to take off blu ray grey cover?

im not replacing the drive.... jus want to take off the grey cover so i can see it naked when putting discs on.

and sub question.... which is better, replace laser lense or replace whole-new blu ray drive? 

and what happend to my default snake avatar?

clear point of question:
    i want to clean the lense.... how do i do it and how do i do it? im at where i take off the ps3 cover and now i can see blu ray drive and hdd ect... i want to clean lense. i want to see the elense. how d i do next?

timay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By timay

A little help in exactly what you are trying to do would help? Do you have a slim or a phat ps3.

AnnouncerGXZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By AnnouncerGXZ
    @timay said:

" A little help in exactly what you are trying to do would help? Do you have a slim or a phat ps3. "

fat 40gb. u know when u open up the ps3 cover? then it shows blu ray and hdd ect... now i want to take off the grey cover on the blue ray drive off. how do i do that?

you know like ps2.... we see lense and put disc on and see.
    rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#4  Edited By rjayb89

That shit's gonna get dirty even faster if you take that plate off.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By subject2change

Seriously that sounds like the dumbest idea ever.

Scullinator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Scullinator

You need to take the drive out of the system and then you can take that metal plate off.  but I think that plate is used to secure it to the console so Im not sure how you will put it back on.  When I had to take mine apart to clean the lens I used a video on youtube.  there are many just do a search.

timay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By timay

Not sure but there may be screws on the bottom of the optical drive.  I also would not reccomend this since a blu-ray drive costs a lot more to replace then a dvd drive.

AnnouncerGXZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By AnnouncerGXZ

i want the grey plate off just to see when the disc is spinning. reason why i want to take it off is to see if the disc is spinning or not.

yeah.... spinning... reason i want to take the grey plate off is to see the disc is spinning. please help! im not taking the drive apart from the board... jus want the grey cover off. and oh yeah i want to clean the lense too.

DAMMmmit HARD TO EXPLAIN. OK I KNOW WHAT TO EXPLAIN. OK.... I WANT TO TAKE THE GREY COVE ROFF SO I CAN CLEAN LENSE WITH Q-TIP AND TO SEE IF THE DISC IS SPINNING OR NOT. YEAH. PLZ HELP.

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By Ineedaname

If you're having a problem with your games and still within your warranty send it off, you're only voiding it by doing DIY.

timay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By timay

If its like a standard optical drive there are 4 screws on the bottom of the gray box that houses the drive.  I have not taken the ps3 apart but if its like a standard computer drive the screws should be on the bottom of the box.

AnnouncerGXZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By AnnouncerGXZ
    @Ineedaname said:
    " If you're having a problem with your games and still within your warranty send it off, you're only voiding it by doing DIY. "
    GRRR... SORRY TO GRR AT YOU. i jus annoyed by people always say send it to sony! 150! warrenty!

whats DIY btw?
    Colin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By Colin

@AnnouncerGXZ said:

whats DIY btw? "

LOL.

AnnouncerGXZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By AnnouncerGXZ

dammmit alright. forget everything and focus of what im saying now.  sorry havent eat cant explain well at first post.

ok now....

(point is i want to clean the laser lense. now i saw youtube video.... they took out two wires on the drive.... how do i pull those wires out? i scar eof ripping it off and damage. do i just pull it by holding the wire and pull? but isnt that be ripping the wire off?)

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By MikkaQ

Okay, I dunno how qualified you are to be doing this... judging based on how you type, not really. 

But as someone explained earlier, you can't take the grey piece off without removing the drive entirely, because it keeps the drive attached to the PS3.

Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
    addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

You want to destroy your blu-ray to see the disc spinning  
    Great fucking idea bro

AnnouncerGXZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By AnnouncerGXZ
    @XII_Sniper said:

" Okay, I dunno how qualified you are to be doing this... judging based on how you type, not really.  But as someone explained earlier, you can't take the grey piece off without removing the drive entirely, because it keeps the drive attached to the PS3. "

oh. yeah i jus realize i must take the drive apart too. as i watch youtube video they take out two wires and take out the drive completely.... now my problem is how do i take out the wires? i am scare to pull it off by the wire. is there something like i must press or squeeze? or i jus simple hold the wire and pull? but dont the wire be ripped?
    MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By MikkaQ

Dude I have no clue, I never took it that far. Just sorta opened 'er up, said "yep" and closed it back up haha.  

Usually I just carefully wiggle any drive cables (holding it by the end) left and right very carefully till they go loose. That's just for general electronics, I don't know if the PS3 has anything super specific. 

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By mike
    @AnnouncerGXZ: My advice is to stop what you're doing immediately or risk a completely broken PS3.
    PDC_Emulator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By PDC_Emulator

Disassemble the blu-ray drive should be a piece of cake as long as you have in depth knowledge of electrical engineering, common sense, superior grammatical skills, are 32 years of age, and have held at least one blowtorch in your current lifetime. You will also need a small pet/rodent in case the project is not successful.

Here are the steps...

1. Watch the movie Short Circuit. Keep replaying the part where No.5 says "NO DISASSEMBLE"!!!!
    2. Grab your PS3 and head to the nearest gas station. Once there, ask for administrator access to the restroom (You will need a sterile environment to perform the procedure).
    3. Place your Playstation into the sink, and turn on the hot water. This step is very important, if you turn on the cold water you run the risk of permanently damaging your system, and your ego.
    4. Dry the PlayStation. Once the hot water molecules fully absorb into the circuitry of the unit, the drive should repair itself. 

AnnouncerGXZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By AnnouncerGXZ

this thread seems obsolete but feel like coming back to it and say..... man i thought ps3 structure is easy to open like ps2! in ps2 after we take cover off and black plate and lense right there. we dont have to put black lense cover on back.... cause we can test disc while black lense cover off so no worry of hassle to put in put back. we can also watch it naked while it operate so we know the disc is spinning or not...

.....but in ps3 we must take the grey lense cover back on if we want to operate the system.... which is a hassle... we assemble back and and forth if it dont work. 

and the wire i scare to pull before...... turns out it have a small black lock that i can lift it up.

blah blah. my ps3 dont fucking work! it wont read blu ray! it happend before but i fixed it by let it sit outdoor in the open cold morning fog for 1,2 hour then put disck  cleaner then wala work...... thats like few months ago now it dont read games again!  i tried same method but this time no luck!

who got idea to fix?

and mannn i remmeber someone say i better sell my ps3 while it work cause since it once dont work then work back.... it will not work agian at some point.... mannn i should sell it when it work and buy a new one!

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#21  Edited By OllyOxenFree

No Disassemble!!!
     No Disassemble!!!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.