Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

How good is Ps2 software emulation?

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By vidiot

I'm an Xbox 360 owner but I'm seriously contemplating purchasing a playstation 3 after hearing that the MGS4 bundle is going to be phased out soon. With no port for 360 in the near future, and a plethora of ps2/ps1 games, some neat misc titles I'm missing out on, and a government check not being fully utilized, I think this might be a good time to pick one up. One of my major annoyances regarding the Ps3 is backward compatibility which is a huge issue with me, I want to play my old ps2/ps1 games successfully on my HDTV.

I was wondering overall how well the Ps2's backward compatibility works, I've heard conflicting descriptions over how well it works.

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By Demyx

Your only bet is to get the MGS4 bundles ASAP. Thats the only form of current emulation for PS2/PS1 games. Future models will have no BC with PS2 games. I don't know about PS1 games, but I guess its the same.

You could try looking on ebay or other sites for a 60GB PS3 that has full hardware emulation.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b3f096aee80a
    deactivated-5b3f096aee80a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

It works fine, just get the MGS4 bundle ASAP or its gone. Don't worry about how good it works, it works as if you are playing the game on your PS2, except slightly upscaled.

All SKUs have PS1 BC though.

Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Otacon

The only games that I have experienced noticeable problems with are the Ratchet and Clank Series. everything else that I have tried works fine.

namster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By namster

if yur gonna be on ebay looking for a 60GB ps3 you might as well hunt down a 20GB one for cheaper and then swap out the hard drive
    youll still have the good emulation of the original ps3 skus and you can upgrade the hard drive into the hundreds for less than $100

DrPepper1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By DrPepper1990

No Idear, my 60gb played PS2 games fine though.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7  Edited By kush

They might have fixed some issues, but the games I tried on an 80GB PS3 a while back worked horribly. Maybe it was just my luck, but I would recommend finding a 60GB if you can.

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By vidiot
    Kush said:
    "They might have fixed some issues, but the games I tried on an 80GB PS3 a while back worked horribly. Maybe it was just my luck, but I would recommend finding a 60GB if you can."
    How so. This topic will make or break a purchase tomorrow. I noticed that on the official Sony backward compatibility there seemed like a lot of issues that seem to have been fixed. I hooked up my ps2 a while back and the games looked like...well...pretty damn bad, even with component cables. I heard the ps3 upscales those old games, which is defiantly a plus.
    AndrewGaspar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By AndrewGaspar

I've heard it's about 80% compatibility, and that covers pretty much all of the games worth playing.

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By vidiot

I saw a 60GB refurbished on gamestop and just ordered it. Thanks for all the opinions regarding my situation I truly appreciate all the responses. I can't stand the thought of some awkwardness with BC. Again thanks to all who responded. I am now both an Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 owner. This is a good day.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By pause422

My 80gb emulates fine with almost everything...only main problem I've had was in certain cutscenes in MGS3 the framerate goes to unviewable, and in R&C up your arsenal, at least the beginning level(didn't play past, turned it off after) is almost unplayable. Everything else I've encountered though with all other games it works perfectly.

AaronBelfast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By AaronBelfast
    vidiot said:
    "I saw a 60GB refurbished on gamestop and just ordered it. Thanks for all the opinions regarding my situation I truly appreciate all the responses. I can't stand the thought of some awkwardness with BC. Again thanks to all who responded. I am now both an Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 owner. This is a good day."
    You lucky shit, I couldn't find one of those things for ages, had to settle for a 40GB :(
    kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#13  Edited By kush
    vidiot said:
    "Kush said:
    "They might have fixed some issues, but the games I tried on an 80GB PS3 a while back worked horribly. Maybe it was just my luck, but I would recommend finding a 60GB if you can."
    How so. This topic will make or break a purchase tomorrow. I noticed that on the official Sony backward compatibility there seemed like a lot of issues that seem to have been fixed. I hooked up my ps2 a while back and the games looked like...well...pretty damn bad, even with component cables. I heard the ps3 upscales those old games, which is defiantly a plus."
    Well when I played on a 80GB about 6 months ago...all the games I tried didn't run well at all. Jak and Daxter would run at like, 1 frame a minute when a lot of action got on screen (or even if you simply jumped) ...Scarface ran like ass. Some games ran ok, but would stutter in cutscenes (heads would bobble around etc...) ...Keep in mind that I don't know how all this works now because I have a 60GB so I don't have to even worry. A friend of mine also said that MGS3 would corrupt his internal PS2 memory card as well.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.