Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

I'm considering buying a PS3... talk me out of it.

• 119 results
    BitterAlmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By BitterAlmond

After years of looking longingly at games like Heavy Rain and LittleBigPlanet, L.A. Noire has been the last game in the PS3's library to finally convince me I need one. I do already own a Wii and a decent (plays every game out there, although some of the roughest ones on fairly low settings) computer. I will not buy a 360 for reasons I will not discuss in this topic because it would distract from my purpose, which is this: I would like you, almighty Giant Bomb, to tell me all of the reasons I should not buy a PS3. 

Please stay away from just pointing out all of your reasons why you prefer the 360, because I have already decided not to buy one. I'd also appreciate it if you guys gave me reasons other than "PSN got hit by hackers, your bank information is insecure." I have this weird feeling that if I don't set that rule up right now, the whole topic will fill up with that one reason.

With those things in mind... go! Bash away!
    Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Akrid

Go for it! Yeah!

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By ThePickle

If you don't want an Xbox you'd do yourself a favor to buy a PS3. 

Xdsk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Xdsk

Blu-rays man, who wants their favourite films displayed in 1080p. Not you, it sucks!

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By wefwefasdf
    @Xdsk said:
    Blu-rays man, who wants their favourite films displayed in 1080p. Not you, it sucks!
    Yeah! Blu Ray is terrible!
    Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By Vinny_Says

a PS3 raped my father, how can you support Sony after that?

get an xbox instead, like an original xbox those are awesome.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By JasonR86
    @BitterAlmond:

The only thing I can think of is that it is an unnecessary expense.

Why do you want to be talked out of buying it?  There's a lot of great exclusives and it is great as a media player for all types of media.
    Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By Kyreo
    @SpikeSpiegel said:
    @Xdsk said:
    Yeah! Blu Ray is terrible!
    It fucking sucks.  I hate high fidelity in my media.
    deanoxd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By deanoxd

buy one its a great gaming media device.

BitterAlmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BitterAlmond

Thanks for all the quick replies, guys. 

As for why I want to be talked out of buying it, I find telling people "talk me out of this" is usually the best way of extracting any unknown information that may come around to bite me later down the road. 
    zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#12  Edited By zidd

The PS3 has the best and most varied lineup of exclusive games out there right now. Go for it and don't let the recent PSN debacle make you reconsider.

Surkov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Surkov

I wouldn't get it. Why would anyone want an awesome system with a ton of great multiplatform and first-party games. Me and the OP are the smart ones here. Low-setting PC games and the Wii are where the real hardcore gamers are. 

Gilsham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By Gilsham

because then you'll have less money for blackjack and hookers, in fact forget the blackjack

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By Afroman269

Don't get it.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By AuthenticM

Buy one.

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#17  Edited By Levio

You could spend the time learning Spanish instead.  Imagine how cool that would be.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By EVO

I've compiled a list of all the reasons you should not buy a PS3:

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By Getz

I was thinking about buying one as well. I want one of the original models that plays PS2 games though, since my old ps2 broke and I wanna play my old games. Is that a bad idea?

jkuc316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#20  Edited By jkuc316
    @Getz said:
    I was thinking about buying one as well. I want one of the original models that plays PS2 games though, since my old ps2 broke and I wanna play my old games. Is that a bad idea?
    No I don't think so, good luck finding one though.

OT: Wrong place to post being talked out of buying a PS3, try the 360 forums or General discussion.
    Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Axersia

Just go buy one already if you have the money (but wait for the inevitable E3 pricedrop first.)

@Getz said:

Unless you can find a new one somewhere for a reasonable price, then yes -- buying used hardware is a terrible idea (especially in an age where you can get system-banned from PSN.) Just buy a new PS2 Slim -- they're only like 100 bucks now.
    Cabbage_TheMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Cabbage_TheMan
    @Getz said:
    It's not worth it bro.  The new one is sexy as fuck.
    CrimsonNoir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#23  Edited By CrimsonNoir

buy one when amazon has one of their great deals (usually around the holidays). i've seen some pretty great discounts $100-$50 gc from amazon or free games. just don't buy it straight up from best buy or something. oh and wait after e3.

Surkov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Surkov
    @jkuc316 said:
    @Getz said:
    No I don't think so, good luck finding one though.OT: Wrong place to post being talked out of buying a PS3, try the 360 forums or General discussion.
    I think it's bad I idea. Those 60gb PS3s are gone break, and if they do, you're out of warranty(my launch 60 gb dead a year later). A better investment is a PS3 slim and another ps2 to be honest. Also when I did have backwards compatibility I never used it as much as thought I would.   
    copycatzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By copycatzen

The stupid thing doesnt want to play my blu-ray movies where I cramp 5 dvds to save space, even though I am using quality autoring program and quality TDK bluray discs.
    diabloshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#26  Edited By diabloshadow
    @BitterAlmond:  Essentially it boils down to this. Is it important enough to you that you are willing to spend the necessary money out of your budget. For example, a PS3 is $300 right now but thats not your only expense. Games depending on whether old (greatest hits, $20-30) or new ($50-60) can cause some serious problems to someone who is not financially sound. Not to mention if you enjoy high fidelity gaming, a regular CRT isn't gonna cut in this day and age and  I don't know if you have a HDTV or not (assuming you don't) a decent one can run you up to $1000. So my question to you sir is, can you spend that kind of money right now? Cause if you can I have no reason why you wouldn't get a great gaming system with great games as well as being one of if not the cheapest blue ray player on the market. 
    Zabant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Zabant

The last month.

ColinWright

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#28  Edited By ColinWright

Wait till e3

Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Franstone

You can buy mine from me, I'll dust it off and everything...
    At least it will save me from getting porked on the trade-in.
    It's the OG 60 gigger too.

sammarco7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By sammarco7

You should def buy it if you won't buy a 360.....lot's of fun games.  Although it can be expensive. Even all the extras like controllers and so on are super expensive. Still think you should reconsider 360 though, the same thing with better exclusives.

Monte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Monte
    @gilsham said:
    because then you'll have less money for blackjack and hookers, in fact forget the blackjack
    eh screw the whole thing
    Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#32  Edited By Sooperspy

You should definitely buy one.

iDarktread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By iDarktread
    @BitterAlmond: Buy it. You will love it.  

There are a lot of PS3 deals going on right now that throw $50+ gift cards at you. Also, make sure you purchase a new console, not a used one.

Send me a message or reply if you'd like me to help you out with anything. I'd love to sell someone on a PS3.

Trebz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Trebz

If anybody is still bashing the PS3 over Blu-Ray or its game library at this point, they aren't worth listening to on the subject.

If you don't have or want a 360, a PS3 seems like a pretty good decision to me. There's a heck of a lot of great content for it and it actually has a better-looking future at the moment than the 360 in terms of exclusives.
    Crass_Commando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Crass_Commando

no one has headsets for online play.

coryrx8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By coryrx8

This might not work for you, but the reason why I wouldn't buy a PS3 now (I bought one back at launch) is that currently I'm not comfortable giving any money to Sony. The list of Sony's ethical transgressions in the last year alone is a mile long, and it's probably only going to get longer. I bought every single Sony console at launch so far, but I'm planning on skipping the NGP. Sony needs to be taught a lesson, and the best way to do that is to leave that PS3 sitting on the shelf.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

If you aren't going to get a 360 then buy a PS3 because you are missing out on a bunch of third party shit if you don't have either.

I refuse to talk you out of this.

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By coakroach

Uh......um......theres..uh.......Firmware updates?

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By HitmanAgent47

I don't have enough time to convince you, I could go on all day. I could start about the word textures, or the lack of it for multiplatform games. Xbox 360 has the stronger gpu, ps3 thinks it has some kind of cpu advantage, but the cpu isn't utilized with multiplatform games so it's always going to look better on the xbox 360.

Some ppl might say, well what about la noire, easily explained. Using three disc on the xbox 360, you can't put enough data on one of those disc, so it has streaming problems because it's limited. That's why there are so many pop ins and stuttering graphics because it's having a streaming problem with a lack of data on each of the three disc. Only then will the ps3 look better, that's two games. FFXIII and l.a noire, but nothing else unless a game was made way afterwards like oblivion. Your going to have a gpu bottleneck because it only utilized 256mb. I don't have time to reply to this, but that's one of the reasons why you should not get a ps3 if you care about multiplatform games. You could get it, but don't look at xbox 360 or pc games and compare, then you can accept it because you won't know how much better it looks elsewhere.

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#40  Edited By grilledcheez

You're missing out on console games in general so get one

powerpc127

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By powerpc127

Alright... I'll try my best to be convincing. I can be persuasive sometimes. Here we go:

You don't want a PS3. That $300 could feed a starving African family for a year. And how many hours do you have to work to save up $300? I'll bet it takes a lot of work time to save up that much. Want to play it with a friend when they're over? That'll be $50. Want to play with 3 friends at the same time? Well, that'll be $150. Want to play move games? That'll be $150. You could easily spend $300 on controllers if you want to play move and regular games with a couple of friends. Then there are the games. PC games: $50 msrp at launch. Wii games: $50 msrp at launch. PS3 games? $60 msrp at launch. And I can tell you, the PS3 version of the game is not $10 better than the PC version in most cases.

Hey, what's the first thing you want to do when you pop your PS3 out of the box, plug everything in, and put in your brand spankin' new copy of Heavy Rain or Little Big Planet? What's that? Wait ten minutes for the game to install, you say? WRONG!! You want to play it. You can't do that with most games on PS3 though. What if you want to catch up on the back catalog you've missed? Want to play Metal Gear Solid 4? Guess what: NO TROPHIES, NO RUMBLE. Resistance 1? NO TROPHIES, NO RUMBLE. Maybe you haven't gotten into the Assassin's Creed games because of the whole DRM thing. Well guess what. NO TROPHIES, NO RUMBLE FOR AC 1! Want to revisit your classic PS2 games, like Ico, Sly Cooper, God of War, the Prince of Persia series from last gen, or my favorite, Shadow of the Colossus? Well guess what. YOU HAVE TO BUY THEM AGAIN! That's right, there's no way for you to play your PS2 games without plugging that PS2 back in. Oh but PS1 games still work. Because we all know how well those have aged over the years. I mean, navigating 3D space with a D-pad has only gotten better with time. Also, as of recently there is no way for you to run linux on your PS3. Talk about a pain in the ass.

Now let's say you're playing a game on your PS3. You only have one controller because, let's be honest, nobody wants to pay $50 for a second controller that they'll never use. You're just about to beat the boss of the hardest level that you've ever played when suddenly... your controller's batteries die. "No problem," you say. "I'll just go get a new pair of batteries and-" WRONG AGAIN! There is absolutely no way to change the batteries on your PS3 controller. You'll just have to plug it in and charge it. Now you've moved the chair to be within 3 feet of the PS3 and are using the tiny cable that came with the system to power the controller. You finish off the boss and decide to turn off the system, leaving the controller plugged in to charge. Well guess what. When you get back, the controller still isn't charged!!! That's right, you have to have the system on in order for anything to charge. I hope your tv's not too big. That or I hope you like staring at a 40 inch screen from 3 feet away.

Also, why spend money on the playstation store if they don't convert that money into points? I want to know how many points something costs, not how much money it costs. I'm a gamer after all, so why not give me points, yaknow? Talk in a language I can understand for god's sake! Also, as Mr. Gerstmann will tell you, Nintendo's downloadable service is much better than anything Sony can provide. You know what you won't find on the playstation store? Notebooks. Or the Pooyoos. How will you ever teach your children who have not yet learned to read the conept of lateralization? You won't!

By the way, Heavy Rain isn't that great. Sorry.

In all seriousness though, there's nothing wrong with a PS3. If you're on the fence, I'd say go for it. But since you insisted that I try to convince you not to buy one, I did my best.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#42  Edited By KaosAngel

PS3 has no games.

FesteringNeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#43  Edited By FesteringNeon

I almost didn't buy a PS3 because she looked at me funny. After realizing it was actually her way of saying.. I want to have sex with your mind, I immediately had to have her.. I'm now a proud father of 3. She and the kids are the happiest we've ever been. A little over a year ago we adopted a pet called the "psp go"

Samaritan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Samaritan

PSN is kind of the shit right now? 

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By DystopiaX
    @Progn0sticator said:
    PSN is kind of the shit right now? 
    Kind of a short term problem when the PS3 is a long term purchase though, and playing online works fine now.
    shinigami420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By shinigami420

i kinda want a ps3 just for yakuza 3 and 4 i hate psn i think its poorly made and is very bare bones and there is no other ps3 exlusive well maby god of war 3 but thats it i might just pick a ps3 up just for 3 fucking games......:(

meptron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

#47  Edited By meptron

buy it, but wait until after E3 in case they announce a price cut.

FesteringNeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#48  Edited By FesteringNeon
    @powerpc127 said:

Now let's say you're playing a game on your PS3. You only have one controller because, let's be honest, nobody wants to pay $50 for a second controller that they'll never use. You're just about to beat the boss of the hardest level that you've ever played when suddenly... your controller's batteries die. "No problem," you say. "I'll just go get a new pair of batteries and-" WRONG AGAIN! There is absolutely no way to change the batteries on your PS3 controller. You'll just have to plug it in and charge it. Now you've moved the chair to be within 3 feet of the PS3 and are using the tiny cable that came with the system to power the controller. You finish off the boss and decide to turn off the system, leaving the controller plugged in to charge. Well guess what. When you get back, the controller still isn't charged!!! That's right, you have to have the system on in order for anything to charge. I hope your tv's not too big. That or I hope you like staring at a 40 inch screen from 3 feet away.

I know you're really digging deep to find flaws, but I feel the duty to clear up a few misconceptions.

Sorry but 35.99 shipped =/= $50.
    Amazon

Also why would you want batteries for anything these days?! Simply plug your controller via USB to anything that supports USB 2.0. (If you have a laptop, you can have it sitting right next to you, charging while still playing) So no you don't have to have the system on to charge.

@powerpc127 said:

.Also, why spend money on the playstation store if they don't convert that money into points? I want to know how many points something costs, not how much money it costs. I'm a gamer after all, so why not give me points, yaknow? Talk in a language I can understand for god's sake!

Not to single you out.. but this is honestly the worst argument i've ever heard.
    gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#49  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Wait, you have a PC and a Wii, won't buy an Xbox 360 and you want us to talk you out of getting a PS3? I will do no such thing, you march yourself to the store right now young man and enjoy a bunch of great video games you've been missing out on.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By valrog

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.