Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

im picking up a PS3 at the end of the month , Advice please?

gamerpigeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By gamerpigeon

Im a very happy 360 owner but at the end of the month im doing something i thought i would never do , im buying a ps3 ... reason? because its a bargain at only £85 ($127.00) . Its a 20Gb japanese PS3 .

now another reason for buying is im a HUGE F1 fan and despite the franchise going Multi Platform next year i couldnt pass up the opputunity , so i'll be getting that game for sure. But after that im a little stuck as im not really been following the PS3 scene and would like to know what games COMING are there to get excited about ?

also ive read that in the world of Blu-Ray , Japan and the US have the same Region Code , this is great news and would love to know if anyone could actually confirm this from personal use of this <<<< hope that makes sense : )

AaronBelfast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By AaronBelfast

Can't help you with the Blu-Ray, I only use my PS3 to play games.

Future games (exclusive):

• Heavy Rain
    • inFAMOUS
    • Killzone 2
    • Uncharted 2
    • White Knight Chronicles
    • Gran Turismo 5
    • L.A Noire (exclusive as far as I am aware)
    • Yakuza 3
    • Quantum Theory
    MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By MetalGearSunny

add me on PSN :P.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By mike

My advice - don't get one.  I have both a PS3 and a 360, my PS3 is now a $500 paperweight.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By brukaoru

All PlayStation 3s are region-free as far as I know, you should have no problems.

AaronBelfast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By AaronBelfast
    MB said:
    "My advice - don't get one.  I have both a PS3 and a 360, my PS3 is now a $500 paperweight."
    I agree, there's no point in having a 360 and PS3 this gen, it's all about the multiplats. I would say get a PS3 if he was getting rid of his 360.
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By HandsomeDead
    MB said:
    "My advice - don't get one.  I have both a PS3 and a 360, my PS3 is now a $500 paperweight."
    This. Just buy a blu-ray player instead. You'll get just as much use out of it.
    Avatar image for deactivated-58efb53e06a03
    deactivated-58efb53e06a03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MB said:
    Hey, don't make fun of my LittleBigPlanet player!
    AaronBelfast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By AaronBelfast
    HandsomeDead said:
    "MB said:
    This. Just buy a blu-ray player instead. You'll get just as much use out of it."
    OK this I don't agree with, if he was getting a blu-ray player he would be spending more money than the PS3 itself, and thats just stupid.

Blu-ray player/console>blu-ray player.
    mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By mike
    Gorillawhat said:
    Hey, don't make fun of my LittleBigPlanet player!"

I also picked up LBP...what a mistake that was.  I'm thinking of putting the entire package on eBay soon, unless there is some major exclusive coming in the next year that I simply must have.
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By LiquidPrince
    MB said:
    Could you not act like a troll...? Even if he was to only watch Blu-ray movies on it, $120 is still an amazing deal... Cheaper then a PS2...
    mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mike

So...because you're a major PS3 fan, anyone suggesting he not bother getting it is a troll?  Give me a break, dude.  I'm simply stating facts - I bought a PS3, and it has mostly just sat there since August.  I hated MGS4, Drake's Fortune was predictable and boring, and I played LBP for 20 minutes and have no desire to ever touch it again.

If there are any major exclusives coming to the PS3 next year, I may consider keeping it, otherwise it's going on eBay.

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Pibo47
    MB said:
    "So...because you're a major PS3 fan, anyone suggesting he not bother getting it is a troll?  Give me a break, dude.  I'm simply stating facts - I bought a PS3, and it has mostly just sat there since August.  I hated MGS4, Drake's Fortune was predictable and boring, and I played LBP for 20 minutes and have no desire to ever touch it again.

If there are any major exclusives coming to the PS3 next year, I may consider keeping it, otherwise it's going on eBay."
    MB is not a troll. Dont mistake an opinion that isnt your for trollism. MB also kicks ass.
    Gameboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Gameboi

My advice is simple.  Try and filter out everything you've heard about the PS3, and just mess around with it. Play some games. You'll know soon enough if  you like it.

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Systech
    Pibo47 said:
    "MB said:
    "So...because you're a major PS3 fan, anyone suggesting he not bother getting it is a troll?  Give me a break, dude.  I'm simply stating facts - I bought a PS3, and it has mostly just sat there since August.  I hated MGS4, Drake's Fortune was predictable and boring, and I played LBP for 20 minutes and have no desire to ever touch it again.

If there are any major exclusives coming to the PS3 next year, I may consider keeping it, otherwise it's going on eBay."
    MB is not a troll. Dont mistake an opinion that isnt your for trollism. MB also kicks ass."
    Let's not suck up here. MB can't be a troll because he's a mod.
    dsplayer1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#16  Edited By dsplayer1010

At that cheap, I think it's worth it. There's some good games out now and some coming out later. PLus, it's way cheaper than the standard Blu-Ray

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By LiquidPrince
    MB said:

No you are a trolling for calling the PS3 a paper weight. There's a difference between saying that you wouldn't buy it, and saying that it's a paper weight and that you don't like most of those AAA games. He didn't even come in to ask whether or not he should buy it... He came in because he was wondering what other good games are coming out and wanted some information on the console. Then you came out of the blue and told him not to buy one and that it's pretty much useless... THOSE are the reasons I said you were trolling. I didn't say you were a troll, but you were trolling.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By mike

Re-read what I said, LiquidPrince.  I said MY PS3 is now a $500 paper weight...not that all PS3's are paperweights.  Try to look at posts objectively and not through your fanboy goggles all of the time.  I'm sure you love your PS3 and that's fine, I'm stating my opinion.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By LiquidPrince
    MB said:
    "Re-read what I said, LiquidPrince.  I said MY PS3 is now a $500 paper weight...not that all PS3's are paperweights.  Try to look at posts objectively and not through your fanboy goggles all of the time.  I'm sure you love your PS3 and that's fine, I'm stating my opinion."
    Yeah, well the "my" you have there is sort of voided by the previous thing you said which was "My advice - don't get one." You were advising him not to get one, but then your saying that it's just YOUR system that is a paper weight... Right... What you said is clearly there, so don't try and twist your words. If you truly didn't want to sound like you were trolling you would have said something more along the lines of: " I personally don't enjoy the system all that much and wouldn't recommend buying it, but if you want to get it, then there are these games that are coming out that seem like they will be good," and then you list something. My point being, you would post something productive and useful as opposed to just trying to tell him not to get one, calling it a paperweight, and then trying to spin it as though it's just for you...

fortelv999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By fortelv999

nice price... get one NOW, reasons:
    - blu-ray players cost at least 200 USD
    - you get some exclusives you might want to try out eventually
    - 20 gb models have backward compability
    - theres always a future possibility that storage space (9 gb vs 45gb) will keep out some high-profile games from the 360
    - depends on your tastes but... in action adventure games i think PS3 is getting the advantage

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By get2sammyb

*Sigh*

Killzone 2 is coming which may come across generic but is also going to be the best looking console video game we've seen thus far. So that will be worth checking.

Heavy Rain is coming which is going to try something totally original.

God Of War will be coming.

Ratchet & Clank Future 2 is on it's way.

There will be something from Team Ico.

There will be an Uncharted 2.

OH - and these are just a FEW of the ones we know about.

Then you have the already AAA released titles to check out - Uncharted (1), MGS4, Resistance & Resistance 2, LBP.

Then you have your PSN games - Siren Blood Curse, Pixeljunk Eden & Monsters, Wipeout HD. Fl0wer and Fat Princess are planned for the future.

Then you have all the multiformat games which generally ALL come out on the PS3 aswell.

Plus you have a blu-ray player and free online gaming.

OMGZ PS3 HAS NO GAMES AND IS TEH SHIT ANDZ EVERYONE KNOWZ XOBX IS BEST!

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#22  Edited By Snail

MB didn't like LBP so leave him alone. I say the PS3 is better and more economic because you don't pay the online, it has a lot of stuff you have to play extra on the 360, is the cheapest and a good Blu-ray player on the market, I don't like to compare the exclusives cos' they both got great ones.

chililili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#23  Edited By chililili
    MB said:
    "Re-read what I said, LiquidPrince.  I said MY PS3 is now a $500 paper weight...not that all PS3's are paperweights.  Try to look at posts objectively and not through your fanboy goggles all of the time.  I'm sure you love your PS3 and that's fine, I'm stating my opinion."
    Look at your first post man, and the OP. In the OP he is stating that he is buying the ps3 for 127 dollars (bargain) at that price I can simply find absolutely no reason to not buy it. Your first post says that your ps3 is a 500 dollar paperweight. For 127 dollars the ps3 is great even if you dislike all the games that you listed. Pick up Ratchet and Clank or something man, buy wipeout on the PSN or something, the ps3 has easily 2-3 games no matter how much you dislike it that can justify a 127 dollars purchase.. Even if you are a mod your original comment reeks of partial mindness due to the objective fact that: You can easily justify the purchase at 127 even if it is just to resell it used or new on eBay. In fact since the ps2 costs 100 dollars-ish, and the 20 gig is fully backwards compatible, you cannot pass up this deal. Your advice was a bad one, even from a purely economical perspective, so think through before you post something. If you wanna debate if the ps3 is worth 500 dollars, that's debatable, but 127 is simply not.

Also to the OP get LBP, I have a lot of fun playing it with my friends and online as well, its a pretty funny game. Also you might want to look into getting the SOCOM microphone pack, SOCOM is still a bit broken for my taste with their dumbass get into this channel to then play a game, but its getting better.
    shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By shadows_kill
    MB said:

ok let me guess. you popped in lbp and started making a level...when you only had 10 things to make levels with. try doing story getting stuff then make a level. or play user created ones.
    Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
    addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't like the PS3 much but for that price I would buy it.

shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By shadows_kill

ok to answer the original post. the japan ps3 will play US games but if you try down loadable content it wont work. and the ps3 is worth the price.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By LiquidPrince
    shadows_kill said:
    "ok to answer the original post. the japan ps3 will play US games but if you try down loadable content it wont work. and the ps3 is worth the price."
    Easily.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
    deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got a PS3 for around the 20 bucks.
    It pays to have skills at a Stacker machine.

As for advice to OP? Since it's a 20gig I'd go thru some of the great games the PS2 had. Other than that, I enjoyed Wipeout HD alot.
    The next big things for the PS3 I'm personally looking foward to is Heavy Rain(I loved Fahrenheit, nonsensical second half and horrible stealth levels be damned) and whatever Team Ico will announce.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By LiquidPrince
    TeflonBilly said:
    "I got a PS3 for around the 20 bucks.

As for advice to OP? Since it's a 20gig I'd go thru some of the great games the PS2 had. Other than that, I enjoyed Wipeout HD alot.
    The next big things for the PS3 I'm personally looking foward to is Heavy Rain(I loved Fahrenheit, nonsensical second half and horrible stealth levels be damned) and whatever Team Ico will announce."

A what machine?

shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By shadows_kill

o i forgot to add. once you get it upgrade the harddrive. trust me its worth it

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
    deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LiquidPrince said:

A what machine?

One of these

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By LiquidPrince
    shadows_kill said:
    "o i forgot to add. once you get it upgrade the harddrive. trust me its worth it"
    Only thing missing is 40GB of HDD, card readers, and chrome!
    chililili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#33  Edited By chililili
    LiquidPrince said:
    "shadows_kill said:
    "o i forgot to add. once you get it upgrade the harddrive. trust me its worth it"
    Only thing missing is 40GB of HDD, card readers, and chrome!"
    I thought that the only thing the 20 gb was missing was wireless, which sort of sucks, but other than that its mighty fine, you can easily get an HDD.
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By LiquidPrince
    chililili said:
    "LiquidPrince said:
    "shadows_kill said:
    Only thing missing is 40GB of HDD, card readers, and chrome!"
    I thought that the only thing the 20 gb was missing was wireless, which sort of sucks, but other than that its mighty fine, you can easily get an HDD."

That too!
    Unreal_dro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Unreal_dro
    MB said:
    sadly true
    Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Demilich
    HandsomeDead said:
    "MB said:
    This. Just buy a blu-ray player instead. You'll get just as much use out of it."
    I remember when you weren't a troll.
    HiroSeven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By HiroSeven

For that price we'd have to hit you over the head with MB's $500.00 paperweight if you didn't buy it (no offense there MB... or gamerpigeon).

Honestly though, I have a similar situation and the only reason I'd want a PS3 would be for MGS4 and perhaps FFXIII (although the latter is coming out for the 360 anyway). The Blu-Ray features associated with the ps3 is a big plus though; I haven't done my research properly enough to say which system is better as far as specs (I think that would go to the ps3? not sure) but again, its a very good price and I would definately pick one up. Like you say being an F1 fan helps since of the coming releases. =)

Oh yeah it seems as if it would be completely backwards compatible, so theres another plus!

Have fun man.

-hiro

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By LiquidPrince
    TeflonBilly said:
    "I got a PS3 for around the 20 bucks.

The next big things for the PS3 I'm personally looking foward to is Heavy Rain(I loved Fahrenheit, nonsensical second half and horrible stealth levels be damned) and whatever Team Ico will announce."

Sweeeet!
    Keeng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#39  Edited By Keeng

Buy the thing. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.