Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Is now the right time to buy a PS3?

• 64 results
    Skat716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Skat716

I really can't decide.  I allready have a 360 and the only kind of games  I really like is FPS.   Are there going to be other games besides Killzone, Resistance, and socom?  Someone please help me decide, I'm going crazy.

demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By demonbear

Dude think about MAG for a second.
    Plus right now, KZ2 and R2 are gonna be both great shooters so if you're into FPSes, you're at the right place. And dont forget Warhawk, that's always a winner.

vivek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By vivek

Firstly Warhawk is not a FPS, its a TPS. But it Rules, its the best mind numbing way to get online and have fun. Its a cross between CounterStrike and Halo. PS3's Rule for so many other reasons. I use mine as a powerful media centre streaming HD movies and music from my PC's in the house.

CountRockula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4  Edited By CountRockula

Seems like the smart thing for you to do is sit and wait to see how Resistance 2 and Killzone 2 turn out.

Avatar image for deactivated-62acf8675bf9a
    deactivated-62acf8675bf9a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

i would say yes!!!!!!!!!
    just with the games you listed
    socom my personal fav ive been playing since the first
    its highly competitive in my eyes the most on consoles
    and resistance has me hyped 8 player co-op  separate campaign
    60 player online!!!
    as for killzone 2 if you played the first one it had all the potential to be a great shooter but was plagued by hardware limitations  and with the ps3 this is not an issue
    also you should check out The Agency and MAG

Riddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Riddler

Its a waste of money that will collect dust......but hey they make nice paper weights i guess

Jordan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jordan23

Yes, it's definitely time to invest in a Playstation 3, the console is finally starting to hit its stride. There are many great currently available and with many more to come and the Playstation Network is a nice online community site for the PS3 users.

LouChou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By LouChou

I would recommend you buy a PS3 solely for MGS4. That game alone is worth paying out 100s of dollars for.

Furthermore you have games such as Uncharted which rocks balls, and you've got some awesome releases upcoming. It's a good time to get on the Sony fanbus.

LouChou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By LouChou

I would recommend you buy a PS3 solely for MGS4. That game alone is worth paying out 100s of dollars for.

Furthermore you have games such as Uncharted which rocks balls, and you've got some awesome releases upcoming. It's a good time to get on the Sony fanbus.

Joker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By Joker

I would say not right now, simply because why buy it now and have to wait a while until you get the games you want. Save your money until you can see how they turn out.

NinjaMunkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By NinjaMunkey

well at the mometn there is Uncharted, Heavenly sword, Warhawk, Resistance, R&C TOD, MGS4 and so on to play, there are quite a few quality titles to keep you occupied.

This year we also have Resistance 2, Moterstorm 2, GT5 (I think), SOCOM confrontation, Little big planet and so on to play.

If you get one you wont be dissapointed, there are good games for it.

SonicFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SonicFire

I'm finally at the point where I'd recommend games for the PS3. MGS4 is an amazing experience, but then many multi-platform games are starting to rival the 360 in appearance. We saw this with GTAIV, where most critics gave a slight graphical advantage to the PS3 version.

Though it may sound trite, I'd still recommend buying a PS3 for its blu-ray functionality alone. It's an awesome player, and blu-ray has changed the way I watch movies. Particularly if you own a nice surround setup, it's a must-own.
    cerebus13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By cerebus13

Last year I was totally hatin' the fact that the Ps3 games were lacking regardless of genre...
    but nowadays I'm starting to wander how I'm gonna afford all the games i gotta get in the nxt 4 months!!!

suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By suneku

I'd say maybe since you prefer FPS. However, PS3 does have it's fair share of good shooters. Hell I'd even say go for it just for MGS4... although it isn't an FPS... it's definitely a great shooter if you want it to be (or great stealth game if you do it stealthy). Also if your planning on watching bluray movies why not get it.

phatkav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By phatkav

If you putting too much faith in Resistance 2, SOCOM, and Killzone 2, then how about you wait till the holidays? not only the new PS3 80gb will come out, but you will get an idea on how good SOCOM and resistance 2 are.

Katatonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Katatonic

I'd say a ps3 is a great investment, but whether you get one now or later is up to you.  If you're not too excited about the FPS titles out now (COD4 and...others that I can't remember) then maybe waiting for a bit would be a good idea.  Just so that you don't have to have it sit there waiting for the releases of all the titles you want.  Like others have stated though, you could just buy it for MGS4 which is amazing.

BlackWaterCO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By BlackWaterCO

Wait until they drop the price and then nab one. By then Killzone 2 will be out

And hopefully a new Jak & Daxter

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#18  Edited By ProfessorEss

Anyone have the full details on the $399, 80gig PS3?

Specifically: When it becomes available? and will it be bundled with the DS3, or SIXAXIS?

tec3297

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By tec3297

Forget the PS3, go out and buy a Wii.  It is half the price and there are some pretty awesome games for it.  Metal of Honor Heroes 2, Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, Red Steel, Resident Evil 4, Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles, House of the Dead 2 & 3 Return, Ghost Squad.

Leone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By Leone

If you can wait a little bit, I'd hold off until the holiday rush. There are some great games on the PS3, but if you buy know, you'll get all the great games people are recommending, wear those out and have nothing to do until the fall titles hit. Now that's not to say that the games out right now won't last you long, but you might want to wait to be on the safe side. And if you don't plan on buying games from the Playstation Network, you'd be missing out on some of the great titles that are available right now only for download.

The 80GB model that is replacing the 40GB happens in October, if I remember Sony's press conference correctly, and it'll have a Dualshock 3. No backwards compatibility though (they're basically dropping the 80GB hard drive into the 40GB base).

Basically, if you plan on making use of all the PS3's features- now is as good a time as any, but if you're in it for the games, wait until the holiday season rolls around.

youstolemykill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By youstolemykill

I would say wait till end of summer, (Sep.) then the onslaught of PS3 games shall start.
    O Noes! You got them Blu-Rayz in my eyes!

duxup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By duxup

Why so early?   Wait for those games to come out.

NinjaMunkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By NinjaMunkey

Why dont you wait till the end of the year, and see if those games are good? It will be much easier to decide then.

Alex_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Alex_V

I'm in a similar position, wondering whether to buy a PS3. But the only game that I really feel I've missed out on so far is MGS4. So I'm going to stick it out a little longer and wait what comes up in the future.

AaronBelfast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By AaronBelfast
    suneku said:
    "I'd say maybe since you prefer FPS. However, PS3 does have it's fair share of good shooters. Hell I'd even say go for it just for MGS4... although it isn't an FPS... it's definitely a great shooter if you want it to be (or great stealth game if you do it stealthy). Also if your planning on watching bluray movies why not get it.
    "
    You can into FPS mode if you wish!
    verybadbeetle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By verybadbeetle

If I were you I would definitely get PS3! However I would wait until the 80GB models roll out later this year. They are replacing the current 40GB models. You will get the larger HD and it will include a DS3 for the same price.

Avatar image for deactivated-5884be30433ec
    deactivated-5884be30433ec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good time to buy one. Great game already out and some great ones coming very soon. As well as all the multiplatformers.

BlackCoffee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By BlackCoffee

Even if you weren't wanting kill zone and resistence then i would recomend getting a ps3 just for MGS4

foxhound421

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By foxhound421

i'd wait until the 80 GB model launches for $400. that's an effing deal!

and don't listen to all of these people saying it's a paperweight and it's going to fail and all of that crap. if you want one, get it. i own every console on the market and while i do use my 360 more for online games (simply b/c more of my friends have 360's) i still love my PS3. the Wii's the one that collects dust in my house.

kevbo77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By kevbo77

I've thought about giving in and buying a PS3 too, but I think I'll wait for another price drop.  The only reason that I want one, sadly, is for Blu-Ray.  Damn you Sony.

Avatar image for missilewarriorz
    MissileWarriorz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By MissileWarriorz

why not its almost holiday 08

thelastguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By thelastguy

I would wait until the 40GB gets upgraded to the 80GB

thelastguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By thelastguy

I would wait until the 40GB gets upgraded to the 80GB

NinjaMunkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By NinjaMunkey

also wait for the 80gb model, you will need it!

Avatar image for deactivated-5b3f096aee80a
    deactivated-5b3f096aee80a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Right now is the best time to buy a PS3, in a long time. Just go get an a PS3, maybe find a 60GB one, buy a bigger HDD, and your set for a media center.

Oh yeah and then you have all the damn games! :P

But seriously, Killzone 2, Socom, Resistance 2, MAG, and so on. All great, great shooters, and those are just the shooters that ar exclusive, then you have stuff like Project Origin, Far Cry 2, etc.

normajean777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By normajean777

well just wait till r2 and then get that and resistance since by then r1 will be greatest hits you can get both and have the story down

Buzzer_Beater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Buzzer_Beater

Wait for the games to come out, and if they interest you, get a PS3. Also just wait for the 80GB for $399,

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Systech

I don't have one, but I would say "yes" if you have the money. I obviously don't have the money or I would have one right now.

Bladefire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Bladefire
    kevbo77 said:
    "I've thought about giving in and buying a PS3 too, but I think I'll wait for another price drop.  The only reason that I want one, sadly, is for Blu-Ray.  Damn you Sony.
    "
    Ya I've been on the fence for awhile and with Blu-Ray finally picking up I think I may just get one.
    Logan_Aybara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Logan_Aybara

I recently bought the PS3 MGS4 bundle, thinking that since FFXIII was a PS3 exclusive, that it was a good purchase, and look how that turned out...looking back on it though, I don't regret the decision.  MGS4 was an exceptional game (even if it's more movie than actual game).  Plus after listening to the 1UP Yours E3 roundup, almost everyone named Little Big Planet as game of E3, and we know that that's never coming to the 360.  If that's not enough to sway you, then just remember that the PS3 is a blue-ray player, and trust me when I say that the difference in resolution between a DVD and a blue-ray is absolutely stunning.

charomid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By charomid

the right time is always. they have an amazing lineup of games, and amazing games to come

kyrom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By kyrom

If you are at all intersted in blu-ray I would say it is pretty much a no brainer. 

The ps3 is starting to build up a very nice library of games and the future looks nothing short of fantastic.

I own all the consoles and out of all the 3 machines I am most excited about the ps3.

If you want anymore information on some specific games and such go ahead and pm me and I'll help you out.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thats nice of you to do kyrom, I know tons of people who are on the fence about getting a PS3, but I think now is the best time to get one, especially for all the amazing games coming out. I can't really find a reason a gamer woudln't want one at this point.

albaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By albaker

2008 is Sony's year, many games great games will come out and HOME will also come out this year.

Currently, you got great games that will last you a while before the new exclusives come out like MGS4, Uncharted, Warhawk and RFoM.

Plus, online is free, so there's no monthly fee is that's is already a problem for you.
    The biggest game is about to be released; MAG was it a 256 online player game? That's fucking crazy.

Nit3mare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Nit3mare

Not RIGHT now, unless you're an MGS freak, since it's such an absolutely amazing game.

Bilawal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

#46  Edited By Bilawal

Metal Gear Solid 4 is enough. Also all those exclusives and all the online shit makes it the perfect time to get a PS3.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Even if you dont like MGS4 (insane) you should buy a PS3. People should understand that there is more then just MGS4 or FF13 on PS3...

nat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By nat

This very second i kinda regret getting a ps3... The main reasons were MGS4 and FF13 and that play tv thing...
    look at what happened with FF13, also it's rumored that Tekken 6 will be on both systems too.

If killzone and resistance flop, the system will take a big step back.

I do love the bluray player and tekken 5 is great fun when you have a heap of friends over.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By LiquidPrince

It's always a good time to buy a PS3. Once you get the system, you can expand your horizons over to different genres such as TPS and such. Especially now with the 80GB price drop.

Harrison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#50  Edited By Harrison

i'd say get it before the holiday rush, its predicted to do really well this christmas so it might be hard to get hold of one.
    but thats just a prediction so it's hard to tell, if you dont mind waiting a little longer take the chance, but if you really want to play the solid titles lined up this year theres no other reson not to get one apart from the price but if you dont mind paying the money get one now while the 80gb still has backwords compatability unless you live in the uk then it dosnt matter.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.