Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Is Sony going to screw over HDTV owners?

• 53 results
    SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

As heard in this video, at the 17:30 mark:  http://www.giantbomb.com/giant-bomb-at-e3-2010-day-02/17-2783/

Sony plans to develop MotorStorm 3 in 1080p, and then lower the resolution down to 720p so it can be played in 3D.  The Mortal Kombat developers have already acknowledged that they're developing the game in 2D 1080p and at 120 frames per second so they can drop that down to 720p at 60 fps for 3D.  In the video, Jeff asks the 775 million dollar question, "are they going to leave the 1080p in 2D in the game?"  So, do you think they will?  

Will developers want to admit to people--via a game menu--that 3D = half the frame rate and resolution? 

The REALLY evil part about this all is that these games WILL be made in 1080p and WILL be either 60 or 30 frames per second (nobody will program 30 fps native, because that would be 15 fps in 3D). Now, there obviously won't be any "3D ONLY" games for a long long time, as that would be financial suicide. So that leaves us with the FACT that most people are going to be playing these games in 2D, and Sony will intentionally have to cripple their own games if they are to make people think that 3D looks the same as 2D. And even if Sony does that, are they going to try to force all other developers to do the same?

Yet another issue would be multiplayer. If you're playing in 3D (which I would imagine would only hurt your abilities) at 720p and 30 fps, and I'm playing at 1080p and 60fps, I would have a huge advantage, and you'd have a huge reason NOT to play in 3D. Will developers allow that?

Finally, this is not really just a Sony issue.  Microsoft isn't really pushing the whole 3D thing like Sony is just yet, but they might in the future, and I don't trust either company.

It should be very interesting to see how this all plays out.  

triple07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By triple07

I had the same fear. I really hope it doesn't turn out like this but I'm afraid it might. I'm not a fan of 3D really so this would make me go for the 360 version of every game I could. I didn't even like avatar in 3D. The movie was too long for a 3D movie so I started to notice eye strain towards the end. And another thing do the TV makers want to kill people's vision? Tricking your eyes and straining them can't be good for your them.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Hitchenson

What if we're all just being really cynical and 3D is actually the way of the futu-- Pahahaha, couldn't even type that nonsense with a straight face. I'm sure not many existing console games are native 1080p anyway, so not much will change right? If the actual quality of the game is shafted in favour of 3D support however, well, that's not cool son.

Avatar image for deactivated-57aaaa9329732
    deactivated-57aaaa9329732

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I can never tell the difference between 1080 and 720. 

guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By guiseppe

It's just too soon to make this big push for 3D. They should have waited until 3DTV's are the standard. No one is going to buy a $3000 TV just to play a couple of games, no matter how good it looks. As if that wasn't enough, you'll have to sit there with your stupid glasses on to actually have any use of it. So consider me "screwed".

KillaMaStA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By KillaMaStA
    @odintal said:
    " I can never tell the difference between 1080 and 720.  "
    I bet you can tell the difference between 30 fps and 60 fps tho..
    SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SpaceInsomniac
    @Hitchenson said:
    "I'm sure not many existing console games are native 1080p anyway, so not much will change right? If the actual quality of the game is shafted in favour of 3D support however, well, that's not cool son. "

It's true that not hardly any games are native 1080p, but to make them 720p in 3D, the vast majority of 3D capable games will be made in 1080p.  The actual quality of games WILL be shafted (loss of resolution and half the frames per second) unless Sony are willing to make it clear to the public that 3D technology comes at the price of better looking games.

@odintal said:
    As said above, you likely can't tell the difference because most games are made in 720 and only support the ability to upscale to 1080p.  Just because it says 1080p on the back of your game box doesn't mean the game is rendering that resolution.  Instead, it's probably only scaling to fit your screen.  

A great example is Halo 3 for the 360.  Halo 3 runs in a native resolution of 640p.  It clearly says "720p / 1080i / 1080p" on the back of the Halo 3 box, but the game is really taking the amount of pixels that make up a 640p resolution, and stretching that to fit your screen.  The difference from 640p to 720p isn't that big, but the difference between 720p and 1080p is MUCH larger, and it will be noticeable, especially on larger televisions.
    Avatar image for deactivated-57aaaa9329732
    deactivated-57aaaa9329732

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SpaceInsomniac: i get how upscaling works.  
    i'm just mentioning that between my tv and room set-up i have to really really try to find a difference between 720 and 1080.  now if i had my tv more than 6 feet away from my couch I could probably start telling a bigger difference.
    SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SpaceInsomniac
    @odintal: 

Ah.  Sorry if I came off as treating you stupidly.  You can never really tell the level of knowledge people have with these matters.  As mentioned above, though, even if you can't tell 720 from 1080, fps would still be a huge issue.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Diamond

My worry is that developers will develop assets that they can use for stereoscopic modes, which means very generally half the detail.  It's not quite so bad if they pass the resource 'savings' along and give us 1080p or 60fps games, but if they don't even do that it's outright shit.

marrec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By marrec

None of my 360 games are native 1080p anyway correct? I can't remember correctly, but all those games get upscaled to 1080p if needed. 

So couldn't you just do the same with a 720p 3D game?

yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By yukoasho

It'll be very interesting to see.  Personally, I don't know how they're going to make Killzone 3 1080p 60fps in 2D even.  If they DO screw over 2D players, that game's going to perform like crap (480p, 15FPS), and that's going to make the PS3 look bad.  In many cases, Sony may have no choice BUT to leave the 2D stuff running at the best possible performance.

deadly_polo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By deadly_polo

Surely though the 3D does not run at the same time as the 2D, therefore the hit to Frame rate will only occur in 3D mode. Also like everyone else, the difference between 720 and 1080 is only noticeable if you have a massive TV (over 50"), and then run in native 720 without upscaling - otherwise it looks pretty either way. 

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By trophyhunter

720 is still HD you know

yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15  Edited By yukoasho
    @kingchris28 said:
    " Surely though the 3D does not run at the same time as the 2D, therefore the hit to Frame rate will only occur in 3D mode. Also like everyone else, the difference between 720 and 1080 is only noticeable if you have a massive TV (over 50"), and then run in native 720 without upscaling - otherwise it looks pretty either way.  "
    Well, if you're one of the people who bought a gigantic TV for 1080p only to have it sacrificed to the altar of the 3D gimmick, I imagine you'd be pissed.  And that's what the OP is talking about - whether Sony would DELIBERATELY disable 1080p in a game's 2D so it won't be obvious to the less tuned-in public that 2D is the better option.
    StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#16  Edited By StarFoxA

Am I the only one who doesn't care about HD? I'm still rocking an SDTV.

chililili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By chililili
    @StarFoxA said:
    " Am I the only one who doesn't care about HD? I'm still rocking an SDTV. "
    This is the reason they shouldn't focus on 3D there is a large MAJORITY of audience that does not have an HDTV thye should focus on delivering better 2D games.
    Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#18  Edited By Marz

1080p should have been a focus a long time ago.  I use a 24"  lcd computer monitor with hdmi so it's easy to spot games being upscaled (they have alot of jaggy edges).

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By haggis
    @SpaceInsomniac: I'm not even sure how this would be "screwing" people. TVs cannot even handle 120 frames per second. Anything more than 60 is a waste. The only reason the game would scale down to 720p is for performance in 3D, so I'd imagine that they'd leave it unless you're playing in 3D. Why develop it at 1080p only to drop it down for everyone? Why not then just develop it at 720p? I think you're worrying about nothing.

@Marz: You only notice the jaggies because you generally sit closer to a monitor than a TV. 1080p doesn't provide a significant quality improvement. It's definitely better, but not so much better that it makes much difference in a dynamic game scene. It's more noticeable the closer you sit, but otherwise the quality increase is generally a wash (which was why 1080p support was considered above and beyond the original HDTV spec).
    FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By FunExplosions
    @SpaceInsomniac said:

@odintal said:
    As said above, you likely can't tell the difference because most games are made in 720 and only support the ability to upscale to 1080p.  Just because it says 1080p on the back of your game box doesn't mean the game is rendering that resolution.  Instead, it's probably only scaling to fit your screen.    A great example is Halo 3 for the 360.  Halo 3 runs in a native resolution of 640p.  It clearly says "720p / 1080i / 1080p" on the back of the Halo 3 box, but the game is really taking the amount of pixels that make up a 640p resolution, and stretching that to fit your screen.  The difference from 640p to 720p isn't that big, but the difference between 720p and 1080p is MUCH larger, and it will be noticeable, especially on larger televisions. "
    Hmm... that would explain why inFAMOUS looks so damn shitty on my 32" when I sit five feet away from it.
    jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By jkz
    @Diamond said:
    " My worry is that developers will develop assets that they can use for stereoscopic modes, which means very generally half the detail.  It's not quite so bad if they pass the resource 'savings' along and give us 1080p or 60fps games, but if they don't even do that it's outright shit. "
    This is more my worry as well. I'm more worried that the general quality of the textures, effects, et cetera will have to be scaled back in order to be rendered twice. I might be alright with it if we got games that, generally, ran smoother and at a higher resolution, but I'm doubtful that that'll be the case. 

If they did allow that, though, they needn't say that switching to 3D drops the frame-rate and resolution. They could just...do it, right?
    SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SpaceInsomniac
    @haggis said:
    " @SpaceInsomniac: I'm not even sure how this would be "screwing" people. TVs cannot even handle 120 frames per second. Anything more than 60 is a waste.
    That is simply not true.  Many HD televisions support refresh rates capable of displaying 120 frames per second (or even higher), and computer monitors (which can also be used as video game displays) have been doing so for well over a decade.

@haggis said:
    " @SpaceInsomniac: I think you're worrying about nothing.

Then you also think Jeff is worrying about nothing, because he's the one that originally asked the question.

The_Hermit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By The_Hermit
    @haggis said:

" @SpaceInsomniac: The only reason the game would scale down to 720p is for performance in 3D, so I'd imagine that they'd leave it unless you're playing in 3D. Why develop it at 1080p only to drop it down for everyone? Why not then just develop it at 720p? I think you're worrying about nothing. "

Why drop it down for everyone ? Well, Sony wants to sell their expensive 3DTV's and glasses. When people get aware of the fact that games will be a lower resolution when they play games in 3D, nobody's going to buy a 3DTV anymore. Because the con of 3D becomes apparent then. That's why Sony will keep the resolution down for everyone, so that 3D will look better than it actually is. 

Why not develop it on 720P only ? I dunno, but that doesn't make OP's point invalid.
    Avatar image for fakeplastictree
    FakePlasticTree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By FakePlasticTree
    @guiseppe said:
    " It's just too soon to make this big push for 3D. They should have waited until 3DTV's are the standard. No one is going to buy a $3000 TV just to play a couple of games, no matter how good it looks. As if that wasn't enough, you'll have to sit there with your stupid glasses on to actually have any use of it. So consider me "screwed". "
    What? If the content isn't there people aren't going to buy 3D TV's. These companies want to get as many 3D movies and games out there as they can so people have reasons to go buy a 3D television. Consumers will not make 3D TV's the standard if there isn't anything out there to utilize the 3D. How many times are you going to watch Monsters v Aliens in 3D? They can't just sit around and wait, people won't adopt 3D if 3D content isn't available to them. Whether you agree with it or not, waiting is not an option. 
    AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#25  Edited By AndrewB

We could always go back to 480i. Looking forward to the SDTV revolution.

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ninjakiller

Fuck 3d, it's soo stupid and is going to fail big time.   

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#27  Edited By sjschmidt93
    @Marz said:
    " 1080p should have been a focus a long time ago.  I use a 24"  lcd computer monitor with hdmi so it's easy to spot games being upscaled (they have alot of jaggy edges). "
    Ummm, I read studies that the human eye can't detect the difference between 720p and 1080p on anything smaller than 32".
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Jimbo

I can't see how anybody can really justify making too many concessions for 3D in the immediate future.  Making a game 3D isn't going to make it shift that many extra copies because nobody has a 3DTV, and the games aren't going to shift 3DTVs because who the fuck is going to be stupid enough to buy a first gen glasses-required 3DTV, when that shit will obviously be redundant tech within a year or 18 months?

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#29  Edited By Marz
    @SJSchmidt93 said:

" @Marz said:

" 1080p should have been a focus a long time ago.  I use a 24"  lcd computer monitor with hdmi so it's easy to spot games being upscaled (they have alot of jaggy edges). "
    Ummm, I read studies that the human eye can't detect the difference between 720p and 1080p on anything smaller than 32". "
    dunno what the fuck you read, but there's a huge difference between 1280x720 and 1980x1080 on a native 1080p monitor

excuse me if i acted too harsh, you probably are talking about HDTV's, while I'm talking computer LCD monitors that i game on.
    AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#30  Edited By AndrewB

Being able to "detect" the difference between 720p and 1080p depends on the quality of your eyesight and how far away you're sitting from the screen.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#31  Edited By MooseyMcMan
    @odintal said:
    Yeah, I remember reading somewhere that unless the TV is really big (over 50", I believe) the human eye can't tell the difference. And to be honest, I can't really tell the difference on my TV (which is 61"), though I should admit that my eyesight isn't the greatest. On the other hand though, a drop in framerate could cause some pretty noticeable gameplay changes, especially in a fighting game like Mortal Kombat.
    sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#32  Edited By sjschmidt93
    @Marz said:
    " @SJSchmidt93 said:
    " @Marz said:
    Ummm, I read studies that the human eye can't detect the difference between 720p and 1080p on anything smaller than 32". "
    dunno what the fuck you read, but there's a huge difference between 1280x720 and 1980x1080 on a native 1080p monitor "
    Well clearly, but on a <32" hdtv 720p and 1080p are virtually identical.
    defaulttag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By defaulttag

I'm not too worried about it. 720p looks fine for now. I'm pretty sure all disc-based PS3 games run native 720p. Sure you can force 1080p output, but upscaling just looks ugly compared to the native resolution of the source. If you want true 1080p, go play a PC game on a high end rig at 1920x1080 resolution. As for the 3D, it's not something I'm too excited about, so I could care less what they do to make games run in 3D since I simply do not have the need nor the means to have a 3DTV.

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By RobotHamster

Pfft your over reacting, all I have to say to you is this... <>!

guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By guiseppe
    @FakePlasticTree said:
    " @guiseppe said:
    " It's just too soon to make this big push for 3D. They should have waited until 3DTV's are the standard. No one is going to buy a $3000 TV just to play a couple of games, no matter how good it looks. As if that wasn't enough, you'll have to sit there with your stupid glasses on to actually have any use of it. So consider me "screwed". "
    What? If the content isn't there people aren't going to buy 3D TV's. These companies want to get as many 3D movies and games out there as they can so people have reasons to go buy a 3D television. Consumers will not make 3D TV's the standard if there isn't anything out there to utilize the 3D. How many times are you going to watch Monsters v Aliens in 3D? They can't just sit around and wait, people won't adopt 3D if 3D content isn't available to them. Whether you agree with it or not, waiting is not an option.  "

This is true, but I don't think that games and/or the PS3's 3D capabilities will be the driving force in what makes people buy 3DTV's. They are just too expensive right now.
    SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By SpaceInsomniac
    @RobotHamster said:

" Pfft your over reacting, all I have to say to you is this... <>! "

1) "I know a new internet meme! I will now use it in my reply to this thing that I don't understand."
    2) Fucking JEFF wants to know about this, so go tell him that he's over reacting.  It's a good question to be asking right now.
    3) "Y O U ' R E" is "you are."  "Y O U R" is "your."
    haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By haggis
    @SpaceInsomniac: Obviously I haven't been keeping up with TV tech as much as I used to. I still stand by my comment that 120hz is pointless. And yes, I think Jeff is worrying about nothing. What, am I not allowed to disagree with him? I've been playing games for decades. I've seen the difference high refresh monitors make over standard TVs. After 60hz, I've never seen any real gameplay difference, even when playing twitchy games. 60hz makes a huge difference over 30, but 120 is overkill. Perhaps for a fighting game like MK, some might notice a difference. But it's so far out on the edges that yes, I think this is all much to do about nothing.

@The_Hermit: I'm still stumbling over this "con" thing. It's not exactly unknown that 3D requires dropping the PS3 down to a lower resolution (it makes sense, given the extra rendering the console has to do). It's not like people can handle the trade-off: 3D, lower resolution; 2D higher resolution. It's not a con, and it's not complicated. It's not a surprise to me that people want 1080p/60 (or 120, I guess, now that that's possible), in 3D. The question is whether it's possible with today's consoles. It's not. And Sony has been pretty upfront about this (the entire reason this question has been raised is because they are telling everyone that 3D will render at a lower resolution). So what's the con? It's just that 3D requires twice as much rendering, and runs at a lower resolution. The question is whether or not the 1080p version will be on the disc. Since they're going through the extra expense of developing it in 1080p, I'd say it looks like (for now at least) that they intend to release it. As I said, if they were going to release it only in 720p, that's what they'd be developing for. I'm not trying to "invalidate" anything, I'm just saying that their actions seem to indicate that this isn't going to be a problem. I'm not saying that I'm right, I'm just saying that there doesn't seem to be a need to panic, as some people clearly are.
    immike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By immike

I'm sure it'll all be fine. We haven't even seen any of it yet, so stop freakin' ou...who I am kidding..these are forums. Carry on.

Innovacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Innovacious

I dont really see the problem with different resolutions/frame rates. Its not a massive difference. If "hardcore" players dont like half the framerate n whatnot then they just wont use it. Most of them will probably think its just a "gimmick" anyway.

Meanwhile on the PC, im playing at TF2 at 60fps(3D)/120fps(2D) - 1920x1200 against someone at 40fps(2D) - 1024x768 and nobodys complaining about the difference

deadly_polo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#40  Edited By deadly_polo
    @YukoAsho said:
    " @kingchris28 said:
    " Surely though the 3D does not run at the same time as the 2D, therefore the hit to Frame rate will only occur in 3D mode. Also like everyone else, the difference between 720 and 1080 is only noticeable if you have a massive TV (over 50"), and then run in native 720 without upscaling - otherwise it looks pretty either way.  "
    Well, if you're one of the people who bought a gigantic TV for 1080p only to have it sacrificed to the altar of the 3D gimmick, I imagine you'd be pissed.  And that's what the OP is talking about - whether Sony would DELIBERATELY disable 1080p in a game's 2D so it won't be obvious to the less tuned-in public that 2D is the better option. "
    I understand your point but just don't agree that 1080p would be 'disabled', anyway the idea of developing for 1080p at 120fps means then the developer can ship the game running in 3D 720p  (60fps for each eye, so technically actually 120fps).  

The then 2D version would be, as Jeff questioned, possibly kept at 1080p or else moved down to 720p - as almost all games are currently made; it seems that the consumer won't loose anything, rather not gain extra definition which very few games. Don't forget that these games are all created on super high powered computers, where 1080p is possible; it would take something amazing for a game like Uncharted 2 or even MGS4 to run in native 1080p, the PS3 is just not powerful enough.
    Zaph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Zaph

I highly doubt developers are going to sacrifice the 2D version of their game just so 5 people can play it in 3D.

I'm just hoping studios don't waste too much man-power on making 3D possible when that talent could instead be used to improve the actual game.

chililili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By chililili

Its too early to focus on 3D quite honestly it is a waste of resources not even video game reviewers will splurge on 3D capable TVs and glasses

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Andorski
    Fuck 3D until non-glasses 3D TVs are ready for mass consumer release.
    - Signed everyone who already wears glasses
    iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By iam3green

they shouldn't be pushing 3D so much. there are some people that are still using SD tvs for playing. i don't' think a lot of people even have 3D tvs because of the price of them.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By SpaceInsomniac
    WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

I wonder how much graphically in these games they are going to have to sacrafice to obtrain the 1080p and 120fps to get their 3d affects?
    Its gonna be sad when we see all these games start looking like crap because of Pseudo 3d...

chililili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By chililili

If they give both options its all good.

gamb1t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#49  Edited By gamb1t

patience is the key. 3D is in early stages...

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#50  Edited By wefwefasdf
    @SJSchmidt93 said:

" @Marz said:

" @SJSchmidt93 said:

" @Marz said:
    dunno what the fuck you read, but there's a huge difference between 1280x720 and 1980x1080 on a native 1080p monitor "
    Well clearly, but on a <32" hdtv 720p and 1080p are virtually identical. "
    Running a resolution outside of an LCD monitors native resolution makes it look a lot worse. Maybe on an HDTV it would be different?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.