Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

It's so nice to know Sony loves digital distribution

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Example1013

I bought Assassin's Creed II on PSN today, having lost my original disc, assuming I could download it and pick back up where I left off. Turns out I have to have the specific version of ACII as my game save in order to play it. Meaning I spend $30 to have to start all over again, or spend more money to buy a working disc. And after having purchased ACII so close to launch (within a year, I think) I'm going to have trouble finding another one.

Glad Sony has my back on this one. It's not a serious inconvenience, since I don't even remember where I was, but I certainly would have liked to not have to go back through all the intros.
    scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By scarace360

Well that sucks but at least its on psn.

stackboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By stackboy

You should be able to find a copy of AC II on disc easily. And for cheap.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By kingzetta

AC2 is only 15 dollars on disc

ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#5  Edited By ReyGitano
    @example1013: wow, incompatibly of saves for the same game is utter crap. I feel for you duder. Don't worry though, I'm sure you can find a copy,
    FCKSNAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By FCKSNAP

Reminds me of Stranglehold. If you got the special edition that had the movie on the same disk, you had to buy a specific version of DLC or else you'd end up wasting fifteen bucks on nothing.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By c_rakestraw

It's pretty bad of them to not make the saves compatible with the digital release. You'd think there wouldn't be any issues based on the fact that it's the same game. Wonder why that isn't the case.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By LordXavierBritish

I don't fucking get that.

I bought a PSP game I used to own on UMD through PSN and my save works fine. I don't understand how they could possibly fuck that up.
    randallion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By randallion
    @Stackboy said:
    " You should be able to find a copy of AC II on disc easily. And for cheap. "
    this.
    damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By damodar

This sounds more like it's Ubisofts fault, which wouldn't surprise me at all

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Example1013
    @Damodar: It's not Ubisoft, it's the way the PS3 handles disc identification. I actually managed to find the one post on the internet about this, and the guy was having problems with ACII GOTY and Borderlands GOTY.

Thanks for the pricing on discs, but I'm not spending $15 dollars when I was only about 6 hours into the story. I'm already back to about where I was (minus a couple of Assassin's tombs), and I'm not giving anyone any more money for this game. It wasn't a huge issue, and I really posted this as a word of warning for everyone else.

You'd think Sony would be able to fix this for at least downloads, but it might be just too big of an issue with too few users experiencing it to be worth actually fixing at this time. Here's hoping a better solution pops up for the next generation, though.
    VictorDeLeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By VictorDeLeon

so basically you're thanking Sony for having you being able to buy a game you already bought but is useless to you as it doesn't allow you to continue with your game save as you should have been able to do?
    so that just means digital ditribution is crap as I always thought it was, it only allows companies to gain more money and totally control the whereabout of a game and remove some of the steps of the chain, as if they want to remove the game, you'll have paid for nothin, but if you bought the game on disc, you'd still have it
    the saddest thing is it will try to kill the used market and they won't care killing lots of jobs, and having gamers see it other even less often to exchange views or become friends

EgoCheck616

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By EgoCheck616
    @VictorDeLeon said:

" so basically you're thanking Sony for having you being able to buy a game you already bought but is useless to you as it doesn't allow you to continue with your game save as you should have been able to do?so that just means digital ditribution is crap as I always thought it was, it only allows companies to gain more money and totally control the whereabout of a game and remove some of the steps of the chain, as if they want to remove the game, you'll have paid for nothin, but if you bought the game on disc, you'd still have itthe saddest thing is it will try to kill the used market and they won't care killing lots of jobs, and having gamers see it other even less often to exchange views or become friends "

Digital distribution is crap? Steam says "Hi". 
    AND FUCK THE USED MARKET. What the fuck are you thinking? The used market is everything wrong with this industry. If everyone buys their games used then the publishers / developers get NO cut from those sales. It all goes directly to GameStop / BestBuy / etc.
    I would rather the shady dude at GameStop lose his job than risk losing another good studio.

"you'd still have it". Son, I bought Half-Life 2 in 2006. And I've had it this ENTIRE time. Here is proof.
    Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Example1013
    @VictorDeLeon: You're completely and totally wrong. This is an issue with all PS3 games, including discs. If I had bought the Assassin's Creed II GOTY disc in a real store I still wouldn't be able to access the save, because it has to do with how the PS3 authenticates games.

My source actually didn't even have the identical issue; the forum thread was actually discussing the GOTY version (on disc). Borderlands GOTY would also do the same thing, and that's not even available on PSN.

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By benjaebe

This has been a problem for awhile...one of my friends had difficulty with an X360 game like that, but the name of it escapes me. Sorry you don't have access to your save game bro, but if you can't remember where you were anyway it's probably worth playing through the intro again. AC2 isn't the worst game to have to start again for sure.

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Example1013
    @benjaebe: Well, the problem was that I remembered the whole intro pretty much, so it was kind of annoying. But to compare real-time hours worth of setbacks, I've probably lost more hours by forgetting to save in Oblivion than I did by having to start a new ACII game.
    chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By chrissedoff

this is why i almost never buy the ps3 version of games. the playstation is so user unfriendly, it honestly makes me wonder why there are so many people who will defend every little fuckup sony makes to the hilt, like the OP here.

not that i'm saying you should be spitting mad about losing a game save, but making a whole thread praising the glorious sony for crapping on your save makes me wonder if you live in some country where it's against the law to complain.

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Example1013
    @chrissedoff: Sorry, I forgot sarcasm is hard to convey over the internet. I probably should've made it a bit more obvious that I wasn't actually praising them. Unless you're being sarcastic, too. But then I guess that would just prove my point?
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By xyzygy

That's bullshit... a game is a game, the saves should work for it no matter how it's distributed.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By DonPixel

evil evil eeevil! sony why!!!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.