Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Lack of jrpg's on ps3? Why

crimson26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By crimson26

Seems there is not much in jrpg's on ps3 this gen. I played recent ni no kuni which is best imo out of them but 360 has so many more and good ones like tales, blue dragon and lost odyssey. Did jrpg makers switch to the 360?

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Spoonman671

What year is it there?

Avatar image for superwristbands
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By SuperWristBands

At the start of this console generation they certainly switched to the 360 but they went back pretty fast. There are hella niche jrpgs on the ps3.

You listed pretty much the only exclusive jrpgs on the 360.

killacam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By killacam

microsoft secured a deal for vesperia, which is why we never got a ps3 version. japan has one. a more complete version of eternal sonata eventually came out on ps3. i believe lost odyssey and blue dragon are both mistwalker, so maybe 360 is just that developer's preference. i don't think the ps3 has missed out on as much as you think. playing jrpg's with a 360 controller sure does feel wrong though..

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By zombie2011

Tales came out on PS3 also.

I think MS just pushed to get a lot of JRPG's on the 360 early in it's life so it would sell better in Japan.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#6  Edited By musubi
    @crimson26 There are plenty of JRPG's on PS3 it just depends on the quality level your looking for NIS and Compile Heart have put out dozens of games. Heck there is a new Hyperdimension Neptunia and a new game in the Altier series.
    Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By Hunter5024

Well this generation the cost of development for games really went through the roof, and because JRPGs are so long, and have a visual expectation, it became very expensive to develop them for the bigger consoles. Also one of the main appeals of jrpgs has always been the story, and more and more types of games have aspired to incorporate good narratives in their games this generation, so that's caused the spotlight to be taken off of jrpgs. As a result of those two things (and a few others) the genre kind of stagnated on the main platforms this time around, and a lot of the developers moved to cheaper consoles like the Wii and Psp, or took a crack at creating games in a less resource intensive genre.

As for the games you listed on the xbox, those were the result of a deal between Mistwalker and Microsoft to attract Japanese players to the 360. It didn't work, and I doubt you'll see another Microsoft exclusive Mistwalker game.

Yadilie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By Yadilie

It really amazes me when people have to use Blue Dragon to try and show the PS3 has no JRPGs. What an absolutely bland, uninspired, and pathetically easy game. Every time I hear the word 'Nothing' I fucking cringe a little. Plus the PS3 has 4 Atelier games and 3 Neptunia games. Plus Ni no Kuni, to name JRPGs that have come out in the past 3 to 4 years.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Because JRPGs were a niche that exploded for a couple years when technology and their design perfectly lined up. Much in the same way that platformers were huge right when their design perfectly coincided with the rate of technology. When technology outpaced their design, they went from the dominant genre to just one of the pack.

dungbootle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By dungbootle

Are you being for real, all of them are on there

natedawg_kz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#11  Edited By natedawg_kz

What?, More like PS3 has had more JRPGs, there has been tones on the PSN store

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Petiew
    @Yadilie said:

It really amazes me when people have to use Blue Dragon to try and show the PS3 has no JRPGs. What an absolutely bland, uninspired, and pathetically easy game. Every time I hear the word 'Nothing' I fucking cringe a little. Plus the PS3 has 4 Atelier games and 3 Neptunia games. Plus Ni no Kuni, to name JRPGs that have come out in the past 3 to 4 years.

I haven't played Blue Dragon, so I can't speak about it's quality but are you using Neptunia as an example of an inovative, inspired and challenging game? I played Mk2 a couple weeks back (After looking forward to it for a while) and was really dissapointed. I thought it was one of the laziest games I've ever seen.
    Yadilie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Yadilie

@Petiew: No, I wasn't. Just saying 7 JRPGs that I knew had come out recently. But Blue Dragon is a really terrible game. My comment was made to the effect that i don't understand why people try to hold up such a mediocre title as a pillar of 360's JRPG stash. It's better off ignored in the corner where it belongs. Final Fantasy 1 for the NES is a better game than it is.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Dixavd

All on the PSBlackBox bitches. I'm from the future and Kingdom Hearts 3000 is the bomb!

Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By Cameron

Just play Persona 4 again and again. It's so much better than any other recent JRPG it isn't even funny.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By nightriff

@Cameron said:

Just play Persona 4 again and again. It's so much better than any other recent JRPG it isn't even funny.

THIS! So true, play, watch ER, play and watch ER, so many ways to enjoy the game

Neonie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By Neonie

"I don't look very hard for JRPG's" and "There are no JRPG's" are two very VERY different things. You could VERY EASILY find many JRPG's on the PS3 if you actually looked for them for even one second. Hell just go to NISA's forums and you will find almost ALL OF THEM including some SJRG's.

crimson26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By crimson26

@zombie2011 said:

Tales came out on PS3 also.

I think MS just pushed to get a lot of JRPG's on the 360 early in it's life so it would sell better in Japan.

Not in America so i cant play the game.

crimson26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By crimson26

@Yadilie said:

@Petiew: No, I wasn't. Just saying 7 JRPGs that I knew had come out recently. But Blue Dragon is a really terrible game. My comment was made to the effect that i don't understand why people try to hold up such a mediocre title as a pillar of 360's JRPG stash. It's better off ignored in the corner where it belongs. Final Fantasy 1 for the NES is a better game than it is.

Neptunia games look more like some hentai than anime to me and they just creep me out.

Also i like how everyone responded with ps3 has more jrpg's yet listed none hardly.

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By apathylad

Valkyria Chronicles? Tales of Graces f?

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By Flappy

All of the JRPGs are too busy going to the handhelds.

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By JZ

Whay the fuck are you talking about? There's disgaea 3,4,1-2 final fantasy 13,13-2,14, neptunia 1,2,3, 4 different atiler games, tales of grace f and xilla, demon's souls, dark souls, yakuza, 3 and 4, mugen souls, valkirya chronicles, resonence of fate, neir, 3 record of agrest wars games, star ocean 4, last rebellion, cross edge, trinity inverse, downloadible persona 3 fes, grim grimore, xenogears, ff7,8, tactics.

graf1k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By graf1k

@Flappy said:

All of the JRPGs are too busy going to the handhelds.

That really seems to be the answer these days. It seems like Atlus for example, largely skipped this generation of consoles except for Catherine and publishing a couple rogue games here and there. But it seems like any JRPG that can make the move mobile is going to the 3DS and maybe a couple to Vita. Probably also a consequence of Square Enix leaning more on their Eidos acquisitions the past year or so as well. Seems like their JRPG output has dropped off significantly since pretty much all their 360/PS3 ones have failed pretty hard in sales.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By EXTomar

I don't know...looking at the stack of awful Japanese RPGs I wonder what this question is about. There were plenty of JRPGs on the PS3. You probably didn't hear about them because many were low budget Gust and Compile Heart games that one shouldn't play unless they really really really want too.

The better question is what happened to JRPGs on consoles in general. They seemed to retreated to portables due to the inability to handle expensive and complexity in console tech.

PixelPrinny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#25  Edited By PixelPrinny

@crimson26 said:

@Yadilie said:

Neptunia games look more like some hentai than anime to me and they just creep me out.

Also i like how everyone responded with ps3 has more jrpg's yet listed none hardly.

You want a list? Well okay how bout this:

Disclaimer: I am in no way claiming all of these games to be good. In fact, some are garbage.

- Valkyria Chronicles

- Eternal Sonata

- Tales of Graces F

- Ni no Kuni

- Hyperdimension Neptunia

- Hyperdimension Neptunia MK 2

- White Knight Chronciles 1 & 2

- Atelier Rorona

- Atelier Totori

- Atelier Meruru

- Disgaea 3

- Disgaea 4

- Trinity Universe

- Cross Edge

- Mugen Souls

- Record of Agarest War

- Record of Agarest War 2

- Record of Agarest War Zero

- Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny

- Final Fantasy XIII

- Final Fantasy XIII-2

- Ar Tonelico Qoga

I'm sure I'm missing some but those are off the top of my head. Again, I'm not saying they're all good. If you want some personal recommendations, I'd say the Atelier and Disgaea series are awesome. Valkyria Chronicles is fantastic... Tales of Graces isn't as great as Vesperia but still really fun.

As for the why there hasn't been that many, I'm sure others have answered but it's all about cost vs demand. Many smaller developers moved to portable consoles where they could continue to use the technology they already developed/licensed without incurring tons of new costs for a niche market.

And as for why the xbox had more initially, I'm sure this has also been answered but to put it simply -- Microsoft paid developers to make JRPGs on their console early on. It's not a conspiracy or anything; that's literally what happened. And it was a plan that paid off to some degree. I certainly bought an Xbox because of games like Vesperia nd Lost Odyssey, and I'm sure many other fans of the genre did as well.

Will we see more JRPGs on the consoles next generation? Honestly? Probably not. Again due to the small market and raising prices, I think we'll continue to see most come out on handhelds. That's not to say we won't see any, but the days of the PS1 and PS2 with their hundreds of JRPGs are long gone.

Edit: Another thing that you might want to bear in mind is the number of "PS classics" available on the PS3 if you're looking for older games to try out. Odin Sphere is one that most people missed out on that I'd highly recommend.

Edit x2: Just wanted to also mention that on top of the excellent Ni no Kuni, we should be seeing two other really good JRPGs this year with Atelier Ayesha and Tales of Xillia *fingers crossed* Also, Disgaea D2 is gonna be out sometime this year in Japan, I believe. I doubt we'll see it in the west in 2013, but maybe? Oh and there's FFXIII-3 if that's your thing.... I'll wait for it to hit the bargain bin, personally.

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#27  Edited By Raven10

I think the console you are looking for is the Nintendo DS. Virtually every major JRPG series left consoles and focused on the DS. Here are just a couple:

- Phantasy Star

- Suikoden

- Dragon Quest

- Valkyrie Profile

- Tales Of

- Kingdom Hearts

- Shin Migami Tensei

- YS

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By EXTomar

Speaking of a future JRPG on PS3....

jeffrud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#29  Edited By jeffrud

If we're going to pick on a present console with a paucity of JRPGs, might I point out that the Wii didn't receive a truly notable JRPG until its last year of life in the United States. Granted, you had access to a nice pile of Genesis and SNES games, but new material? Xenoblade Chronicles and The Last Story are about it.

Neonie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Neonie

@EXTomar said:

Speaking of a future JRPG on PS3....

Oh yeah, and also The God/Fate Revolution Parodox from NIS as well will probably be coming here.

Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Grillbar

dont know what your talking about, i have seen a ton of them just never really bought them since they were a bit to obscure for my taste wich most of them are really.

the ones a atleast cant remember are tales of graces f, valkyria chronicles, eternal sonata, Atelier Meruru: The Apprentice of Arland,Hyperdimension Neptunia Mk. II,Record of Agarest War 2, Legasista, and FF what ever is also a jrpg just to name a few

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#32  Edited By Raven10

It should also be noted that most of the JRPG's you guys are listing are very low budget ones that aren't incredibly good. In past generations JRPG's had huge budgets and were very popular. These days the budgets have dried up and only a scant few big name JRPG's are released on consoles. There are a lot if you want to play really niche JRPG's but if you want something on the same scale as Ni No Kuni your options are far more limited. With Final Fantasy moving away from traditional JRPG formulas there really aren't many traditional JRPG's on the PS3 or 360 that are appealing to the casual JRPG fan. And in the past couple of years this is especially true. For a while Tri Ace had regular RPG's coming out to consoles, but they moved to handhelds too recently. And Square Enix hasn't put out a new JRPG for consoles in a while. Most of their efforts are for 3DS and Vita. So if you are talking about low budget stuff, then yea there is a fair amount, but if you are talking broad appeal big budget stuff I can probably count them all on my hands.

Avatar image for startyourengine
    startyourengine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

just because nobody else has mentioned this: folklore

gogosox82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By gogosox82

There are plenty of good jrpgs on the ps3. Nier, Valkyria Chronicles, Resonance of fate, FF13, FF 13-2, tales of graces f, demons souls, and dark souls. Those are just off the top of my head so i'm sure there's more.

casper_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ps3 has tons of japanese shit going on. developers like NIS hold it down.

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah AAA jrpgs has fallen off the console market across the broad. Which it seems more niche jrpgs still quite often appear on PS3. MS had an early push to be a bigger deal in japan by locking down some jrpgs around its launch which in the long run did not work so well.

So the games you listed are pretty much the only exclusive jrpgs on xbox. Most jrpgs are moving to handhelds and once in awhile we will get a gem like ni no kuni and everyone is waiting on Square Enix to go back to the basics.

Avatar image for deactivated-64ba3d2213a4d
    deactivated-64ba3d2213a4d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Valkyria Chronicles alone is better than any JRPG on the 360. That said, there are plenty of others too as have been listed in this thread.

I do wish Lost Odyssey would get ported though.

Boiglenoight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Atlus needs to release an HD version of Xenoblade on the PS3. Would sell like mad.

S3v3nS1ns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tales of Graces F is one of my favorite games this generation.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.