Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Mandatory Installs, what say you?

• 156 results
    Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By Otacon

I think its absolutely fine, in fact I would prefer a long install thats not interrupting anything, to a smattering of annoying load times.

Psytek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By Psytek

I think its a good feature that just hasn't been used properly yet. Devs seem to just be dumping a load of assets on the hard drive under the assumption that it has significantly better read speeds. I think it would make more sense to have some stuff on the hard drive and stream from the disc and drive at the same time.
    And I think sony were a bit short sighted when they put 40GB/60GB drives in the PS3, while at the same time,claiming that it will have a 10 year lifespan. I reckon within 1 year I'll need to get a bigger hdd.

seraph973

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#53  Edited By seraph973

i swapped out my 40gb for a 120gb one so the size of the install doesnt bother me. The time that it takes to install is quite annoying though. If developers do something creative while the game installs like DMC4 or MGS4 then that's fiine

Sabious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#54  Edited By Sabious

The installs are a great idea, anything to improve performance in games is good, I don't mind waiting for the installs at all, If you've waited for a year for a game, what's another 10 minutes to wait?

Just I have found myself running out of HDD space recently and I'm thinking of upgrading mine for the future, but that's at least something that is easy, you can just pull it out and put in another HDD (granted, you've got to copy the game saves but still).

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Randolph
    SolidusMaximus said:
    "I don't see a problem with installing unless you the kinda person who has loads of different games on the go. If you are then  this might cause you  to have to uninstall one game  to install another  due to a lack of space.
    "
    But thats just it, I only have MGS4 and Heavenly Sword as far as retail games.  Besides that I have PSN games and PSone classics.  But after the 7.2 GB download of Siren this Thursday, and the much smaller Joint Strike, I'll be low enough that I'll be in the danger zone.  Then if I buy a game like SC4, which has a hefty install that is mandatory....

The issue isn't the installed data alone, but the installed data plus the rapidly expanding wealth of compelling games on the Playstation Store.  Let me be clear that the time needed for the installs doesn't bother me a bit, what bothers me is a dev making it mandatory that I give up 5GB of my HDD because he thinks I don't want to wait an extra three seconds to begin playing his game between sections.  I want devs to use the HDD to make the games better, but their is a difference between effective use of the HDD, and using the HDD as a crutch during development.

I don't see how we can give blanket benefit of the doubt that these are for the best because they make the games run so much better, when their is so much evidence that the gain in performance is either negligible, or non existent.
    blu_magnet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#56  Edited By blu_magnet

I don't mind them. If they get any bigger like around 8-10 gig then it'll be ridiculous but right now they're fine

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#57  Edited By kush

I personally hate mandatory installs. If all games started doing this then the HDD would add up quickly. I don't honestly mind the idea and benefit of installs, but all of them should be optional. The space that installs take up along with full games coming to PSN (as well as PS2 games eventually)... all these installs will start being a problem. My biggest issue is that if you wanted to clear out some space and say, delete you DMC4 install, and then at some point later you wanted to play that game again...you would have to go through the ridiculous install all over again. Just make all installs optional and I'll be happy.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Randolph
    sizu said:
    "I have no issue at all with the installs.  Been installing games on my pc since year zero, so why would it bother me now.  The installation process doesn't take long, and can be easily done when you are doing something else e.g. tv, dinnner etc etc.

The only people I have found who have a problem with it are forum trolls with nothing better to do than wind up gamers who enjoy playing on the PS3.  Unfortunately for them now they are having to say installation is a good idea since MS have announced a similar idea for the 360."
    I don't much care for the logic that anyone who has a dissenting opinion on any feature of the PS3 is a forum troll.  I own a 360 and a PS3, and have no intention of installing any of my 360 games once that option is available.  Thats what grinds my grits about the issue though, on that system it will be an option to use the space for slight increases in performance. (consumers like options)  On PS3, it's not an option, I have to give up 5GB for three seconds less of loading.  I don't mind using the HDD, what I do have an issue with is ineffective use of the HDD.  Their is absolutely no harm in letting these installs be optional, all it does is let us take a direct look at whether or not the install is effective or not.  Though I guess some devs would rather not have it be so obvious that they have no idea how to use the HDD effectively. (Capcom)

I am not a forum troll, nor am I trying to wind up anyone, (and if anyone is getting wound up by light discussion of a feature of a game system, thats a problem on their end, not mine) just discussing what I see as a flaw.  I wouldn't bring it up if I didn't care about seeing the system improve in regards to giving us more options, and maintaining it's inherent console convenience.  I like my PS3, and if it wasn't for this issue, I'd have all of my multiplatform games like GTA4 and DMC4 on it.  I have to begin to believe that the move towards an 80GB standard is the Sony response to the increased ineffective use of the HDD by developers, and I feel it's the wrong response.
    Echelon730

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Echelon730

Honestly that I think that its a bad idea and its counter productive the PS3. Look the PS3 was marketed as a multi media machine with everything that yo will need to have movies music, pics and what not. But having to fill my PS3 with Game installs is bull shit.

Look My 360 has move space on the hard drive taken up by vids than games. Its more of a multi media machine than the PS3 . Lets be honest outside of Blu Ray the PS3 is NOT the multi media machine that sony promised.

Looking into the future that your hard drive will be filled what are you going to do delete all your MGS4 data for a new game?? You would with have to delete it or something else or figure out how to clone a hard drive, and to install it into your PS3.   Sony should have either spent more money on a multi speed disc drive or held off on blu ray

Terranova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Terranova

It doesn't bother me one bit to have to install, PC's have used this method for years as it helps the loading of data be that much quicker, a HDD drive will out perform any Blu-ray/ DVD/ drive in terms of sending / reading , streaming data this in turn helps load times etc.. I would say there would be more moaning if people had to wait a lot  longer for each level / area to load.  

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Randolph
    Terranova said:
    "It doesn't bother me one bit to have to install, PC's have used this method for years as it helps the loading of data be that much quicker, a HDD drive will out perform any Blu-ray/ DVD/ drive in terms of sending / reading , streaming data this in turn helps load times etc.. I would say there would be more moaning if people had to wait a lot  longer for each level / area to load.  
    "
    But in the games that have this as an option, the extra wait is negligible.  Thats the great thing about options.  You can choose to use it or not use it.  I'm not calling for the absolute halt of the use of installs on PS3, just calling for it to be an option so we can more clearly see who is making effective use of the HDD, (Bethesda) and who isn't. (Capcom)
    JazzMaverick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By JazzMaverick

Having to do game installs on the PS3 is surely a major flaw  in the console.

Pikachu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Pikachu

I really don't like the fact that almost every game has to install

Avatar image for deactivated-5884be30433ec
    deactivated-5884be30433ec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am sure developers will find a way round having 5gb installs. Look at a game like Call of Duty 4. It has about 200 mb of data saved on my hard disk. That is nothing.

verybadbeetle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By verybadbeetle

I don't mind the installs at all. Like many have said installing a new hard drive is very easy. If the install means faster load times during the game then I see no problem with it.

kyrom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By kyrom

I can see this causing a problem later in the year when more games come out but I am honestly all for it.  If the game will run better with faster load times and smoother gameplay I would gladly give up some HDD space to make that happen. 

But even then, it would be nice to have the option to not install the game, but that is a stretch.

Met2609

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#67  Edited By Met2609

If it helps a game work better, then I'm happy with it. The problem is when every damn game has one, it takes up a ton of space. I say, if a game needs it, then yes. If it doesn't need it, then no.

Avatar image for deactivated-57c23600813c8
    deactivated-57c23600813c8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Once I beat a game I delete the install, you still keep your save file so you can go back and play it in the future if you want, you just have to re-install.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b3f096aee80a
    deactivated-5b3f096aee80a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's what I have a 500GB HDD for; never have to worry baby.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Randolph

So I got a new HDD, but I don't have the right size screw driver to get the old one out.  What a pain in the butt.  So now I have to wait until tomorrow to go shopping yet again, for the right kind of screwdriver.  Would have been nice if it was just a pull and plug process.

verybadbeetle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By verybadbeetle

Just be really, really careful when taking out that one screw for the very first time. It is extremely easy to strip.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Randolph

I really do hope that in these new 80GB models, they've made this process much closer to hot swapping than anything, pull out, put in.  I don't mean to whine but, I'm not exactly the kind of guy who has tools lying around.

Gr00v3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Gr00v3r

Well I guess I just don't see this as a problem . I have a hard drive on my PS3 and developers are welcome to use it. Installs are fine by me I have a hard drive. Space is not a issue for me or a great concern.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e9c617c31567
    deactivated-5e9c617c31567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It isn't a problem for me but I do believe that more companies should offer the option not to install. This will give the people the option to choose performance over space.  I also think that there will be a lot of average consumers who end up with no drive space because they don't know where to delete the installs when they are finished with the game. Maybe it should be an option to remove the installed data from a main menu in each game.

chililili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#75  Edited By chililili

I got a 40 gig closest I've gotten to full is like 7 gigs left and I put lots of movies and music and downlaod trailers and games and Install stuff. I don't think its a really pressing issue especially considering that from now on the lowest end will be 80 gigs. But you can just buy a laptop hard drive and install it easily if you got trouble.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Randolph

I bought some precision tools just for this process, they fit perfectly, and they still stripped the screws.  What happened to console convenience?

lantus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By lantus

It has me not so much worried, but concerned. I've only got a 40gb and between Metal Gear Solid 4 and Gran Turismo 5 Prologue, that's like 10gb worth of installs, and that only for the two games I on right now. I just hope developers are more aware of the situation and that we shouldn't have to conform to the situation they're putting in front of us. It's definitely possible to not have an install in a PS3 game, just look at Fallout 3, they've gone on record saying there won't be an install when you put the game in, and I hope that's a sign of change in devs decisions.

Sharpshooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Sharpshooter

I don't mind if there is one install. MGS4 was taking the piss a bit, with the whole install after every chapter.  That got on my nerves. Still a great game, repeated installs couldn't take that away.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#79  Edited By LiquidPrince

Don't really care. As long as it actually does something.

shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By shadows_kill

i like it. i dont see anything bad about it. just go to the bathroom or get a snake when it installs. but it does destroy the part of console gaming that mainly for pop it in and play. but i dont see why its bad.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By LiquidPrince
    shadows_kill said:
    "i like it. i dont see anything bad about it. just go to the bathroom or get a snake when it installs. but it does destroy the part of console gaming that mainly for pop it in and play. but i dont see why its bad.
    "
    Get a Snake? O_o ...
    Dissolve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#82  Edited By Dissolve

Come on. Nobody says "what say you" anymore.

Mr_Ahh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Mr_Ahh

I don't mind installs at all, working with a 40 gig model, swapped out to a 250 gig drive which is loaded with movies. I have 143 gigs free last time I checked.

PenguinNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By PenguinNerd

I don't mind installs too much.  I do however wish more games could do what MGS4 did with it's installs screen.  So instead of having just a blank screen that says "Installing please wait..." they could have something going on in the background.  Like in MGS4 how they had Snake smoking while it gave you health warnings.  Stuff like that can make the longer installs bearable.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Randolph

Decided to trade in the 60 GB with the stripped screws, and look at an 80 GB model.  Has anyone who has bought the recent models of 40 & 80 GB know if they started using better quality screws on the HDD caddy?  I don't want to go through this mess again, but if they improved that part of the system, I would get the cheaper 40 GB and put in this HDD I bought for the other system.  If not, I'll get an 80 GB and not risk stripping the screws and being stuck with an even smaller HDD.

EnterpriseE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By EnterpriseE

I think people need to realize that has gaming consoles get more complicated things as small as installing 2 or 5 gbs to lessen the load times or even texture pop end. I am a PC gamer and trust me I wish installs took only 5mins to install.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Randolph
    shadows_kill said:
    "i like it. i dont see anything bad about it. just go to the bathroom or get a snake when it installs. but it does destroy the part of console gaming that mainly for pop it in and play. but i dont see why its bad.
    "
    It's not the time it takes to install that is the issue at all.  It's the ineffective use of the space on the HDD being taken up by it.  If a developer needs 5GB to improve loading by a whopping 1 to 2 seconds compared to a different version of the same game on another system, then it's obvious that is poor use of the HDD, and it should be mandated to developers that except in rare cases, these installs ALWAYS be optional, NEVER mandatory.  Sony could set up a verification process by which devs could submit their games for approval for large mandatory installs, if they can make a good case for the install being vital to the games performance.  I would say, the only installs that can be mandatory without this approval are the ones that are 1GB or less.
    Crockpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Crockpot

I'm just glad it isnt required for the Xbox 360 because I really don't have much room in my 20 GB hardrive.  I prefer it but my space is very limited.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By heretrix

I'm not entirely against it, I have a 320 gig HD, but I want it to mean something if I have to do it. I don't want to spend 20 minutes loading a game and still have to deal with loading times on a regular basis.

fraser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By fraser

I don't mind it at all, other than in MGS4. Especially when i'm replaying mgs4 for the 6th time and it still needs to install....

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By LiquidPrince
    fraser said:
    "I don't mind it at all, other than in MGS4. Especially when i'm replaying mgs4 for the 6th time and it still needs to install....
    "
    The installs are so short though... They say 3 minutes, but mine averages about 1.50 - 2.30. One trip to get a drink of water and it's done. Like a loading time basically.
    fraser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By fraser

Yeh i agree, i think it's just annoying they don't call it a loading time.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By LiquidPrince
    fraser said:
    "Yeh i agree, i think it's just annoying they don't call it a loading time.
    "
    Would it make a difference? =P
    hazelnutman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#94  Edited By hazelnutman

MGS4 was acceptable.

I mean, you got to see tips like "Don't litter! Put trash in its place!" and stuff like that while watching Solid Snake smoke.

Awesomest installation EVER

StarOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By StarOne

I do not have any issue with installs if , once it installs it is done installing.  The MGS4 rubish was silly.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By LiquidPrince
    hazelnutman said:
    "MGS4 was acceptable.

I mean, you got to see tips like "Don't litter! Put trash in its place!" and stuff like that while watching Solid Snake smoke.

"
    I like the fact that it scolded you for playing to long. "it's been 5 hours, get the hell off!"  =P
    PenguinNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By PenguinNerd
    LiquidPrince said:
    "hazelnutman said:
    "MGS4 was acceptable.

"
    I like the fact that it scolded you for playing to long. "it's been 5 hours, get the hell off!"  =P
    "
    That freaked me out....when it told me it was past 2 am and I should take a break I was like what!?!? man it's only 1....then I checked the clock to see that it was actually 2:30....
    Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#98  Edited By Cube

Meh. Whatever. I can deal with them.

RobKenno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By RobKenno

I don't really mind if there less than 40mins' however it does my head in that they take up so much space, 60GB PS3 seams to go nowhere nowerdays never had this problem back in the day with the good old N64 ha ha

Jotun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By Jotun

It doesn't really bother me. I don't have much stuff on my HDD so space really isn't an issue. As long as it doesn't interfere with my ability to play the game, I don't really mind.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.