Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

My 2nd Xbox 360 just pissed itself and died.

captainduncan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By captainduncan

My roommate and I went to go play some FIFA in celebration of MU vs. Bayern- lo and behold I found my Xbox's DVD drive to have simply ceased to work in the time since we last played it a few hours ago. The ps3 hardware doesn't exactly have a flawless record, but at least I won't be buying another time bomb. Any places like Newegg where I can find them cheap?

Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Ace829

^^^ wtf

Th3_James

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Th3_James

I have had 8 RRODs. 360 is not reliable... They will break.. It's only a matter of time

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

Unless you go used, you aren't really going to find anything under the suggested retail price on a PS3.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MrKlorox

Yeah the DVD drive busted on my original xbox too... I was amazed and let down that it didn't get RROD. I think it has something to do with a weak power cable either coming loose or overheating where it connects to the CD ROM board. It should still work as an XBL box for netflix and other things run from the HDD. No need to trash it or pack it away, unless all your TVs already have a media device attached.

I've been looking for the sub 250gb PS3 model for a couple months. I can't find it anywhere locally or online for the advertised $299 price. I think Sony's phasing them out for the 250gb and 500gb models... but I don't know if the 250 will get a price drop to match the 120gb.

rubsnick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By rubsnick

You could Check Dell.com... they have deals sometimes.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

I've had 8 trillion RRods and instead of sending the system in, I just go buy a new one and throw away the old, I am single handedly the source of the 5 million + sales that the 360 has over the ps3 world wide.

vager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#8  Edited By vager

My 4th 360 RROD a few months ago and the refurbished they gave me is a load mother fucker. 
    My 360 is on my desk right next to me and I can hear it through my headphones. 
    I've resorted to installing one game at a time on my small 20GB hard drive to prevent the disc drive from running.
    ReFracture

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By ReFracture

Back when I bought my PS3, it was $400. I strongly considered a 360, but in retrospect, I am so glad I didn't buy one.

I guess the only reason there are so many people who put up with this bullshit is merely because they have invested so much into it.
    Physical games, DLC, XBLA games... poor bastards. If they tried to sell their 360 and games, they would never make enough to replace all the applicable games with ps3 counter parts.

This is the only reason a friend of mine still uses the 360, he has simply invested too much.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

The rather high likelihood of the console eventually breaking is the risk you take when you're buying that console (something I know only too well) but it's frustrating when it happens.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By get2sammyb

Sad to hear about your system. If it's any reassurance, I haven't had one problem with the PS3 in three years, despite the odd crash; though obviously they are not flawless, like any electronics.

As for price, I suggest just shopping around. Find a good bundle, etc. Make sure you get LittleBigPlanet, Uncharted 2 and Wipeout HD too.

CoolDrMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By CoolDrMoney

Seriously, you should fight a black guy

chililili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By chililili

I have to side with the majority here and say that your problem will be solved if you fight a black guy.

And there are no discounts on the ps3 except for bundles or black friday. Which are not gonna happen for a while.

AgentofChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By AgentofChaos
    @Th3_James said:
    " I have had 8 RRODs. 360 is not reliable... They will break.. It's only a matter of time "
    That just makes you retarded. If 3 of them broke on me I would STOP BUYING THEM.
    Unless of course, this is an over-exaggeration (which is likely).
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#15  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @Th3_James said:
    " I have had 8 RRODs. 360 is not reliable... They will break.. It's only a matter of time "
    I've had my current 360 for a very long time. Very long as far as 360s go anyways. I'm holding out hope that this one will last at least another few years.
    WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

what I'm confused by is that i've flagged this topic, its obvious it shouldn't be in the playstation 3 forum....
    Edit: I flagged it yesterday....

DCFGS3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By DCFGS3

I'm sorry, but just to clarify, did it actually piss itself before it died? Because that is both horrifying and awesome.

Th3_James

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Th3_James
    @AgentofChaos said:
    " @Th3_James said:
    That just makes you retarded. If 3 of them broke on me I would STOP BUYING THEM. Unless of course, this is an over-exaggeration (which is likely). "
    Oh really.... well lets see here. I bought my 360 launch day in Nov 05. I payed quite a bit of money for it then, had invested hundreds of dollars in games, accessories, and content. That unit failed a year after I bought it. Then my replacement failed a year after that. Having been fucked over only 2 times in 2 years, and getting free repairs from ms I felt it was logical to stick with using my 360. Sometime in early 08 my console failed 2 more times. Then my console was out of warranty and failed again, I repaired it. Then I was given 3 more 360's from a friend, they all broke one after another. So then I went to the store and purchased an arcade, in october of 09... Hasn't failed me yet, I also purchased another console from a friend that gave me a really good deal. 

So.... My launch ps3 has outlasted all of my 360's, It's quite pathetic.... 

No Caption Provided
    1 360, and 1 motherboard is not in it's case, but that is all of my failed 360's.......
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#20  Edited By AgentJ

I just don't get it. I've never had an issue with my 360. Am I just lucky?

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By TwoOneFive
    @WilliamRLBaker said:
    " what I'm confused by is that i've flagged this topic, its obvious it shouldn't be in the playstation 3 forum.... Edit: I flagged it yesterday.... "
    only you'd be a big enough dork to go around flagging stuff like the forum chief. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.