Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

My PS3 is getting loud, need some advice.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By RE_Player1

So I've had this 40gb model for about 3 years and just recently after moving it to my room It has gotten really loud. I've made sure it's in an open area for ventilation and I proped it up on top of a couple blocks to also help the air flow, read that tip online, but it is still very loud when on. I plan on getting my vacuum tomorrow to suck out any dust it has in it but I'm worried that won't fix it. It's loud without a disc and extremely loud with a disc in it, when I turn it off it sounds like a freakin generator is powering down. Any tips as my warranty is already up and also I hate to bring this up but worst case scenario... Is the slim a lot quieter because if this thing dies on me I might have to get that. :(

11samype

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By 11samype

I had the same thing happen to my 40 gig a few months ago.  It ended up getting YLOD but was repairable.  Still, I bought a PS3 slim and sold the broken 40 gig to a guy who was willing to fix it.  Sorry I don't have any real advise besides cleaning it out but worst case scenario you get YLOD like I did.  Oh, and the slim is a lot quieter, I swear I sometimes forget to turn it off due to not being able to hear it.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Spoonman671

There's not a whole lot you can do about the noise.  More recent PS3 games are really pushing the system now, and causing a lot of heat.  You shouldn't worry about your PS3's health, as the noise is really a sign that the fans are doing their job.

I do however, suggest that you avoid turning the PS3 off immediately after you finish a game.  You should try exiting to the XMB and highlighting something other than the disc drive in order to minimize the work that the system is doing.  After a little while you should hear the fans slow down and a little while after that you can go ahead and turn it off.  This might help prevent drastic changes in temperature inside your PS3.  Or it could just be a superstitious habit of mine.

Also, you can try keeping it in a cooler room.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By RE_Player1
    @11samype Getting all the data, like saved games, dlc, downloadble games, was that easy to transfer? I got a shit ton of Rock Band dlc and rock band imports of discs I no longer have so will I be able to transfer them to the new system?
    Ben99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Ben99

It's been making a jet engine sound since the day I bought it and  I'm fine with that :D

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ryanwho

Slap it in the mouth.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
    the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

u could get cooling vents if u really want to prevent YLOD but im not too sure if that would work...  i had a 40gig ps3 and it got the YLOD.  the slim is really quiet but it sucked cause i lost all my save files and i was really close to getiing the platinum trophy for a couple games....

yorick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By yorick

Isn't vacuuming bad for electronics? I'm not sure if you should do that.
    Avatar image for christiancastillo
    ChristianCastillo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ChristianCastillo
    @ryanwho said:
    " Slap it in the mouth. "
    This isn't his girlfriend he's talking about, jeez. Show some respect man.
    yorick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By yorick
    @11samype:
    I have a PS3 fat and I can't even tell when it's on because it's so quiet. I don't see how much quieter a slim could be.
    coaxmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By coaxmetal

Turn up your speakers.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By RE_Player1
    @the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG said:
    " u could get cooling vents if u really want to prevent YLOD but im not too sure if that would work...  i had a 40gig ps3 and it got the YLOD.  the slim is really quiet but it sucked cause i lost all my save files and i was really close to getiing the platinum trophy for a couple games.... "
    I backed up all my saves to a usb just in case in ever breaks on me. Thanks for reminding me :P
    RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By RE_Player1

Just read the protection plan, even though I'm not eligible and found this funny:  

WHAT IS NOT COVERED (APPLIES TO BOTH THE PLAYSTATION PROTECTION PLAN and PLAYSTATION PROTECTION PLAN - ACCIDENTAL DAMAGE): 

a) Rust, corrosion, insect infestation, mysterious disappearance, transport, environmental conditions such as sand or dirt. 

b) Any Product failure related to theft or burglary, loss, abuse, negligence, vandalism, acts of war, fire, weather related damage, unusual atmospheric conditions, 

or acts of God.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
    the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@RE_Player92 said:
    " Just read the protection plan, even though I'm not eligible and found this funny:  

WHAT IS NOT COVERED (APPLIES TO BOTH THE PLAYSTATION PROTECTION PLAN and PLAYSTATION PROTECTION PLAN - ACCIDENTAL DAMAGE): 

a) Rust, corrosion, insect infestation, mysterious disappearance, transport, environmental conditions such as sand or dirt. 

b) Any Product failure related to theft or burglary, loss, abuse, negligence, vandalism, acts of war, fire, weather related damage, unusual atmospheric conditions, 

or acts of God.

"
    HAHAHAHA de fuck?  who in the world would use that excuse...  wait if they do put that in the warranty, dont they have to include all the Deity's from all other religions.  i cant wait till they add the flying spaghetti monster in there
    Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By Rockdalf
    @RE_Player92 said:
    " Just read the protection plan, even though I'm not eligible and found this funny:  

or acts of God.

"
    Ya know, in case Vash the Stampede blows up your PS3.
    RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By RE_Player1
    @Rockdalf Dude I just started to watch trigun today lol.
    iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By iam3green

is your place warm? put a vacuum in the back fan vent. my ps3 gets loud during the summer time. i found that out during the summer. me and my friend would both play on different ps3 and my ps3 would be loud and his would just act normal.

Tsoglani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By Tsoglani

The Acts of God clause is in most insurance plans, but for the PS3, mainly in case Satan decides to infect your console.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By AuthenticM

buy a slim

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.