Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

My PS3 keeps reseting my HDMi settings....why?

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By ravensword

Ok, so this happens about every month or so, but sometimes when I turn my PS3 on it makes its start up beep, and  then it makes another beep, and it shows a screen saying "A HDMI device was detected, would you like to dispaly using HDMI?" Now, I was under the assumption that I was already displaying through HDMI. This basicaly means all my dispaly stuff was reseted and I have to now go back and change the PS3 to 720P output and go back and put my wallpaper background back on. This is very annoying and i dont know why it keeps doing this. Is it a HDD problem? is my PS3 bugged?
    Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Raven10

That is weird. I've never heard of that. Do you have some other cable attached to the PS3? Maybe if you have a component cable attached it will automatically use that?

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#3  Edited By wefwefasdf

Could a power outage do something like that?

squirtle_squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By squirtle_squad

I too have this "problem" but I dont really mind it. I dont use wallpaper though but I can see why that would be annoying.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ravensword
    @SpikeSpiegel:

We havent had a power outage in like 2 years. And I dont even think my PS3 was on when that happened. My 360 was though because I remember playing Fallout 3 when it happened.   

and no raven I dont have a component cable hooked to it at all. I only have my HDMi, Ethernet cable, and the power cord hooked to it.  
    GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By GunstarRed

I tend to get it when I shut it off directly with the power button on the back. The next time I switch it on it's reset the HDMI settings.
    ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ravensword

I mainly just dont want it to screw up the innards of my PS3 effecting graphical quality and all that.
    ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ravensword

Its very strange. I wonder if theres a internal problem?
    animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By animateria

My cousin had problems with his HDMI cable being damaged, the PS3 would resort back to the low resolution settings.

After he bought a new cable the system didn't reset anything. Maybe your cable is in some sort of pre-damaged limbo?

Goldanas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By Goldanas

It sounds like it's more of an issue with your TV or HDMI cable. The PS3 is known for having occasional quirky bugs with certain configurations. My Westinghouse TV will always flicker once after about 30 seconds of having the PS3 turned on. 

You may want to look into a firware update for your TV, or simply just try another cable for a while and see if the problem persists.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ravensword
    @Goldanas:

hmm, maybe I can switch back and forth with my 360 HDMI cable.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.