Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Need PS3 Tip: PS3 Not Read Blu-ray/Games & Making Eject Noise

FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By FoxxFireArt

Hello. I'm having an issue with my PS3 Slim recently, and I wanted to see if anyone might have some tips.

I was playing Borderlands 2 recently when the game locked up. I did what I normally do for hard locks. I held down the power button, restarted the system, ejected the game, and just called it a night.

Now, the PS3 will read DVDs, the streaming options (Netflix and YouTube) works, but when I put in a game or Blu-ray movie the system sits for a few seconds, and makes the eject noise, without ejecting the disc. I've tried a few suggestions online that didn't see to work. The only one I've yet to try is the System Restart.

I want to copy my saved game data to a USB before trying that one. I just wanted to ask if anyone has had a similar issue, before trying something so drastic and having to re-download all my DLC and digital games.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Mine stopped reading dual-layer discs reliable, before stopping reading any discs at all. Never got around to fixing it, but everything I read about it said I'd need to replace the disc-reading lens. I think I tried doing a factory restart or something (it was a few years ago), but that didn't help.

In the early goings I managed to get the discs to read by tilting the PS3 up after putting it in, but I dunno if that's safe or not. It worked for a while, but again, eventually the PS3 just stopped reading any disc.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

Are you able to play digital games? I'm thinking your blu-ray drive is busted and it'll stop reading anything all together eventually. Before my PS3's drive broke, games would lock up fairly often.

If you're feeling adventurous, find out your PS3 model and get a replacement drive and install it yourself. I bought mine on Amazon for $28 and it's really not too complicated. This was, I think, over 2 years ago and I haven't had any problems w it plus I got to clean the insides which was filthy. But maybe PS3s are probably so cheap these days it's not worth it to you.

Idk, I thought it was kinda fun. It's fascinating to open up consoles and see how they are put together. I had to take apart and clean my GameCube cause I spilled soda all over and in it and man, the way Nintendo assembled that thing is cool but a real pain.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.