Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Playing Blu-Ray on a Computer Monitor?

mjdailey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By mjdailey

So, i have had my PS3 for a while but i still dont know if i can watch BLU-Ray on my monitor. When i try and play my metal gear solid 4 bonus disk it gives me a black screen and audio no video.

I have a Samsung SyncMaster 225BW with a 1680 x 1050 resolution, and i have it conected to my PS3 with a HDMI cable with a HDMI to DVI converter on it.

So is there anyway to fix the settings or get a different cable or anything so i can watch blurays?

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By StaticFalconar

Don't know what to say, I have played many blue rays on my LCD monitor just fine.

got a 24" westinghouse, not that it helps you.

KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By KamasamaK

The only reason I could think of that would cause a problem with a monitor would be HDCP-related, but after quickly looking it up right now it appears that your monitor supports it. I suppose your converter could be messing with it, but that doesn't seem too likely.

mjdailey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By mjdailey

Yeah i know its werid games work perfect nothing wrong just when i try to watch the Metal gear bonus bluray

Avatar image for deactivated-6406b1cb85b6d
    deactivated-6406b1cb85b6d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Have you tried running the movie in 720p? I believe when you use a HDMI to DVI adapter you are breaking the HDCP handshake. I also run my PS3 on a DVI LCD monitor but only at 720p as the monitor only goes to 1050p max.

mjdailey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mjdailey
    SamuSlave said:
    "Have you tried running the movie in 720p? I believe when you use a HDMI to DVI adapter you are breaking the HDCP handshake. I also run my PS3 on a DVI LCD monitor but only at 720p as the monitor only goes to 1050p max."
    Thank you so much i thought id have to get an HD TV.
    StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By StaticFalconar

You need to get a monitor that has a HDMI port really. Upon second read of your post that is the only thing thats different with our set ups. my monitor has a HDMI port so no converting nessasary. Actual HDTVs are expensive, getting a monitor with a HDMI port is much cheaper.

AndrewGaspar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By AndrewGaspar

When I go to college, I'm getting a monitor that has an HDMI port. It just makes sense.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.