Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

PS2 software emulator

Questionable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Questionable

So ive been thinking with all the PS2 HD collections already announced, how big is the chance that sony is already perfectly able to to supply a PS2 software emulator but that the guys at marketing simply figured there is more money to be had by holding it back for the next console. A big argument for it could be that people have not yet had enough time to grow nostalgic and releasing them too soon would just over saturate the market

Today we can no longer play our PS2 discs and go out to buy HD reprints only playable on the PS3 and next generation we can re-buy the PSN version  that will just be the PS2 version ran through a emulator. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5add09f309aed
    deactivated-5add09f309aed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

While I agree, I can also tell you this.

There is the PS2. You can't use snes carts on the wii, or the ds, or so. Sure, ps2 uses discs, which the ps3 uses even though it's a different format. But try running a ps2 emulator on your pc. If you are complaining about the lack of backwards compatibility, chances are you can't. Why? Because it's TOUGH. Consoles use different architectures, processors, video cards, and such. While hardware is more powerful, not all hardware is based on the same technology, even if it's of the same brand.

Besides, ps2 games look like sh** on the ps3, with the 1080p upscaling and stuff. If you want ps2 games in HD, you have 2 options:

A VERY GOOD computer, running them with an emulator

An HD remake.

Trust me, it's the best option. And if you just want to play your old ps2 games....

A ps2.

RaikohBlade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By RaikohBlade

Even if you do have a top notch computer, emulators still aren't perfect. You'll get bugs and weird stuff happening from time to time. Since PS2 games weren't designed to run on a PC, even an emulator won't be 100% perfect. However, you can get it to look better than it used to, if you do have the aforementioned amazing computer. Of course, the best option is to just buy a PS2 if you want to play PS2 games. They're pretty cheap.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By ajamafalous
    @RaikohBlade said:
    Even if you do have a top notch computer, emulators still aren't perfect. You'll get bugs and weird stuff happening from time to time. Since PS2 games weren't designed to run on a PC, even an emulator won't be 100% perfect. However, you can get it to look better than it used to, if you do have the aforementioned amazing computer. Of course, the best option is to just buy a PS2 if you want to play PS2 games. They're pretty cheap.
    Granted that my computer is very good, most of the games I try to play run into emulation bugs. Missing textures, extreme slowdown, etc.
    RaikohBlade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By RaikohBlade
    @ajamafalous said:
    @RaikohBlade said:
    Granted that my computer is very good, most of the games I try to play run into emulation bugs. Missing textures, extreme slowdown, etc.
    It also depends on the individual games. Some games work better than others with emulators. Some games don't work at all. Of course, with every new version of an emulator, more compatibility issues are resolved. However, it will still be far from perfect. 
    Avatar image for superwristbands
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By SuperWristBands

I play my PS2 games on my PS2... I keep it around because I still have plenty of great games to play. I was tempted to play FFXII on an emulator. I went through a lot of trouble just to find out it plays at a good 10 FPS on my PC.

Anyway, I'd rather an HD remake because games like FFXII look terrible on my TV.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By ajamafalous

@RaikohBlade said:

@ajamafalous said:
    @RaikohBlade said:
    Granted that my computer is very good, most of the games I try to play run into emulation bugs. Missing textures, extreme slowdown, etc.
    It also depends on the individual games. Some games work better than others with emulators. Some games don't work at all. Of course, with every new version of an emulator, more compatibility issues are resolved. However, it will still be far from perfect.

Yeah, I'm aware. Still super disheartening, though.

ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By ShadowSkill11

PCSX2 works great for me. I does require you to acquire a PS2 BIOS file on your own and configure a few things. When you are done though it's freaking awesome. Your entire PS2 library in 1080p. As long as you aren't a complete idiot it doesn't take much to find and get going.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By ThunderSlash

In the case of PS2 emulation through a PC, you'll also have to go through the mess of finding configurations and plugins that will make specific games work. And even so most of the time it's less than 100 percent accurate. Hell, I think PS1 emulation still have some hiccups now and then (I can't even run my Tron Bonne game well on an emulator).

Juicebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By Juicebox

you know this is ilegal right?

RaikohBlade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By RaikohBlade
    @Juicebox said:
    Not if you dump your own PS2 BIOS file into the emulator, and then use games that you already own. There are programs for getting the ISO file off of the game disk. Then, it's perfectly legal.
    Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By Jadeskye

@Juicebox said:

You can do it legally by obtaining the bios through your own bought ps2 and using your own ps2 discs. It worst, it's a really grey area in the law

Questionable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By Questionable

Whoa guess i should have decided on a diverent title, my question was about Sonys, wether it could be a tactic to delay backwards compatibility to open up the path for HD remakes

keris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By keris
    @Questionable said:
    So ive been thinking with all the PS2 HD collections already announced, how big is the chance that sony is already perfectly able to to supply a PS2 software emulator but that the guys at marketing simply figured there is more money to be had by holding it back for the next console. A big argument for it could be that people have not yet had enough time to grow nostalgic and releasing them too soon would just over saturate the market   Today we can no longer play our PS2 discs and go out to buy HD reprints only playable on the PS3 and next generation we can re-buy the PSN version  that will just be the PS2 version ran through a emulator. 
    The PS3 has never been able to play PS2 games without some sort of hardware assistance. None of these HD remakes are emulated; they're all ports. This means that at least some of code had to be rewritten so that it could run on a PS3. Any code referencing any PS2 hardware had to be totally rewritten to work on the PS3's architecture. Also, any code optimizations used for the PS2 were probably thrown out for other, different code optimizations for the PS3.

The simple enough answer is that the PS3 is probably not powerful enough to emulate PS2 hardware by itself. I mean come on, it's only been within the last year that PS2 emulation on the latest PC hardware has gotten to playable framerates. What makes you think that the PS3s designed probably sometime in 2004 or 2005 would actually be able emulate these games perfectly?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.