Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

PS3 2.7 RUMOR Firmware update!

• 58 results
    Qorious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Qorious

"A member of the GameTrailers Forums said the following:

“Okay, GT, i lurk these boards a lot so i’m going to throw you a bone. Take it or leave it. Anyway, A friend of mine works in an R&D department at Sony and recently let me in on the firmware details for 2.7. If you were disappointed with 2.6, you’ll probably like what you’re about to hear, but it’s still missing some very crucial (and heavily requested) features. Here’s a list of the things he told me will be changed:

Friends List:
    - Voice Messaging is now available as an alternative to text after selecting a user on the friends list. Voice message recordings are capped at 30 seconds.
    - Home Integration: Saved Playstation Home avatar photos can be selected as photo ID for Gamer Card/Friends List.
    - Trophy number and Gamer Level are listed under Friend names for quick reference.

Gamer Card & Trophies:
    - Gamer Card layout has been changed to more closely resemble the Playstation Store aesthetic.
    - Past Trophy information can be viewed in detail by selecting “Recent Trophy History” option.
    - Newly aquired trophies auto-sync in the background
    - Server infrastructure for Trophies has been optimized. Resulting in faster retrieval time for Gamer Card and Trophy information.

In-Game XMB:
    - Loading time for In-Game XMB has been drastically reduced, resulting in a more seemless in-game experience.
    - “Theme settings” options while in-game is now available, allowing custom themes to be applied to the In-Game XMB.
    - Internet Browser can now be accessed while in-game.
    - Voice messaging and voice chat options can be used while in-game.
    - Options that cannot be used in the XMB during game sessions are grayed out (but still selectable) to eliminate user accessibility confusion.

Misc:
    - Other slight UI tweaks and enhancements.."

http://ps3trophiesguides.wordpress.com/2009/02/18/rumor-firmware-27-details-leaked/

What do you guys think? I love the fact that they will be optimizing the in-game XMB since I do intend to access it a lot to send messages. Now I can even send voice messages and voice chat while playing a game! I think that's a great feature and greatly needed to go head-to-head with XBL. And nice to see that they're improving Trophy implimentation as well. These are just rumors, but if these are true, then I can't wait!

shimbibby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By shimbibby

That sounds pretty awesome. Hopefully its true. I just hope that the " voice chat options while in-game" are for cross-game chat, and that the "loading times for in-game XMB being reduced" means that there will be a more streamlined in game XMB that only showes the options that we can use while in-game.

LoZone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By LoZone

awesome if true.  this puts PSN beyond live.

Manachild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Manachild

I damn well hope this is true, cause if it is, that is awesome.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
    LoZone said:
    "awesome if true.  this puts PSN beyond live."
    lol how? Let alone why would someone want to change their theme while playing a game? *useless addition* your still limited to 1 person in voice chat last i checked.
    why is the text black and not white?
    Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By Systech

I don't believe any of this until Sony says so.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

"A member of the GameTrailers Forums said the following:

“Okay, GT, i lurk these boards a lot so i’m going to throw you a bone. Take it or leave it. Anyway, A friend of mine works in an R&D department at Sony and recently let me in on the firmware details for 2.7. If you were disappointed with 2.6, you’ll probably like what you’re about to hear, but it’s still missing some very crucial (and heavily requested) features. Here’s a list of the things he told me will be changed:

Friends List:

- Voice Messaging is now available as an alternative to text after selecting a user on the friends list. Voice message recordings are capped at 30 seconds.

- Home Integration: Saved Playstation Home avatar photos can be selected as photo ID for Gamer Card/Friends List.

- Trophy number and Gamer Level are listed under Friend names for quick reference.

Gamer Card & Trophies:

- Gamer Card layout has been changed to more closely resemble the Playstation Store aesthetic.

- Past Trophy information can be viewed in detail by selecting “Recent Trophy History” option.

- Newly aquired trophies auto-sync in the background

- Server infrastructure for Trophies has been optimized. Resulting in faster retrieval time for Gamer Card and Trophy information.

In-Game XMB:

- Loading time for In-Game XMB has been drastically reduced, resulting in a more seemless in-game experience.

- “Theme settings” options while in-game is now available, allowing custom themes to be applied to the In-Game XMB.

- Internet Browser can now be accessed while in-game.

- Voice messaging and voice chat options can be used while in-game.

- Options that cannot be used in the XMB during game sessions are grayed out (but still selectable) to eliminate user accessibility confusion.

Misc:

- Other slight UI tweaks and enhancements.."

http://ps3trophiesguides.wordpress.com/2009/02/18/rumor-firmware-27-details-leaked/

What do you guys think? I love the fact that they will be optimizing the in-game XMB since I do intend to access it a lot to send messages. Now I can even send voice messages and voice chat while playing a game! I think that's a great feature and greatly needed to go head-to-head with XBL. And nice to see that they're improving Trophy implimentation as well. These are just rumors, but if these are true, then I can't wait!

*there ya go changed it to white*

LoZone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By LoZone
    WilliamRLBaker said:
    "LoZone said:
    lol how? Let alone why would someone want to change their theme while playing a game? *useless addition* your still limited to 1 person in voice chat last i checked.
    "
    all i ever hear xbots say is atleast we can cross chat while ingame,  thats it.  PSN has everything live has and for free.  live is just more populated because its older.
    Volkain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Volkain

Great, awesome.

Giantsquirrel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Giantsquirrel
    shambles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By shambles

sounds legit to me....  whens it supposed to drop?

also.. who the heck would decide to change there theme while playing a game?...

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
    LoZone said:
    "WilliamRLBaker said:
    "LoZone said:
    "
    all i ever hear xbots say is atleast we can cross chat while ingame,  thats it.  PSN has everything live has and for free.  live is just more populated because its older.
    "
    actually if you knew any thing  sony had touted that it had as many memebers as xbox live *14 million i believe at last checking* and i love how you use xbot though i won both systems lol though the 360 is superior in every way for me But yeah regardless of that your the one that says this puts this beyond xbox live.
    When xbox live has 10X the content 5X the online games the better achievement system since it was mandatory from the start, It has multiple person chat now instead of just one on one.
    you say beyond xbox live yet this isn't even near xbox live its trying to be near to what xbox live is *which is why sony copied most of it from xbox live as example with their own touches* but they have yet to match or even near match xbox live.
    I wouldn't have said a thing I was gonna post simply why is the text black instead of white? but i just had to reply to your statement that this puts psn beyond xbox live, when psn still doesn't match the content or features of xbox live.

P.S: its all well and good if this update is true good for ps3 owners *good for me since i own one* but its not beyond xbox live.
    LoZone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By LoZone
    WilliamRLBaker said:
    "LoZone said:
    "WilliamRLBaker said:
    "LoZone said:
    "
    "
    actually if you knew any thing  sony had touted that it had as many memebers as xbox live *14 million i believe at last checking* and i love how you use xbot though i won both systems lol though the 360 is superior in every way for me But yeah regardless of that your the one that says this puts this beyond xbox live.
    When xbox live has 10X the content 5X the online games the better achievement system since it was mandatory from the start, It has multiple person chat now instead of just one on one.
    you say beyond xbox live yet this isn't even near xbox live its trying to be near to what xbox live is *which is why sony copied most of it from xbox live as example with their own touches* but they have yet to match or even near match xbox live.
    I wouldn't have said a thing I was gonna post simply why is the text black instead of white? but i just had to reply to your statement that this puts psn beyond xbox live, when psn still doesn't match the content or features of xbox live.

P.S: its all well and good if this update is true good for ps3 owners *good for me since i own one* but its not beyond xbox live.
    "
    lets see,  both have movie store (netflix rentals, PSN movie buy/rent), game store, private chat (live 8/PSN 6),  online multiplayer (live 32/psn 60),  in game messaging, trophies/achievements, friends list.  tell me what is so different about live other than more people and dont give me your opinion just facts as i have just stated.
    tearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 52

#14  Edited By tearhead

Only thing I care about here is the in game chat, and the custom in game XMB too... I guess.

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Hexpane

Hmm bunch of pointless features for online games that no one ever plays...

How about the ability to rip PS2/PS1 games to the HDD and port them over to the PSP?

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Demyx

All the optimization stuff is nice.

But I don't see anything I'll use.

WizardHowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By WizardHowl

Decent I guess. Just seems like they're working on optimizing features rather than coming out with new ones which is nice, since I don't think a lot of people use some of the features they come out with.  

tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By tekmojo

Hopefully it comes out soon. Sony is starting to get serious business with online gamers. I like that, not better than live yet, but heck for a free service, how the fuck can you beat it?

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By LiquidPrince

Sounds awesome. Hopefully its all true.

PufferFiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By PufferFiz

DAMN I so what this to be true! And come out quickly!

chililili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By chililili

Yes this would be a pretty damn huge upgrade for me.

zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By zitosilva

I hope it's all true because these updates seem great.

AndrewGaspar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#23  Edited By AndrewGaspar

I seriously doubt they've enabled Internet Browsing in any game. It crashes enough as it is without compounding the problem by splitting memory between the game and the browser.

DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo

all ps3 needs is a better invite system like LIVE, and party chat(took 360 YEARS for this, come on SONY)

Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
    SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#25  Edited By SathingtonWaltz
    AndrewGaspar said:
    "I seriously doubt they've enabled Internet Browsing in any game. It crashes enough as it is without compounding the problem by splitting memory between the game and the browser.
    "
    Really? I've never had a problem with the browser. 
    shimbibby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By shimbibby
    DuhQbnSiLo said:
    "all ps3 needs is a better invite system like LIVE, and party chat(took 360 YEARS for this, come on SONY)
    "
    True that. The day Resistance 2 came out, me and my friends could not for the life of us figure out how to accept the game invites....we finally got it, but damn, what a pain.
    Also, XMB should really focus and be centered around the friends list and the community aspect. When I turn on my 360, its like i automatically scroll to my friends list in a few button clicks and see exactly what everyone is doing. On the ps3 it is much more clunky and not as nice or streamlined.
    LiveOrDie1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By LiveOrDie1212

sounds awesome, but whats up with the black texts dude?

SPARTAN_xK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By SPARTAN_xK
    WilliamRLBaker said:
    "LoZone said:
    "

It must have changed since you last checked because it definitely supports more than 1 on 1 chat.  I don't know what the max is, but its certainly not that limited.  The fact is that if this rumor is true, it will be a huge step in the right direction for psn.  XBL will still have the cross game invites, but being able to instantly talk to your friends on psn will be almost just as convenient.  If this is true, you're talking about a couple tiny features that will seperate the 2 services and the arguement you always hear about "you get what you pay for" (meaning that xbl has more, better features) won't really ring true anymore.
    Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 21

#29  Edited By Dolphin_Butter

If this is true, it sounds rather significant. Still, I wish Sony would allow for full game installs; that's the only thing preventing me from getting the PS3 version of multiplatform games.

SPARTAN_xK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By SPARTAN_xK
    Sleepy_Insomniac said:
    "If this is true, it sounds rather significant. Still, I wish Sony would allow for full game installs; that's the only thing preventing me from getting the PS3 version of multiplatform games.
    "

Why?  What do you think is significant enough about the full game installs that's that big of a deal?  just curious...
    BawlZINmotion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#31  Edited By BawlZINmotion

"...voice chat options can be used while in-game"

Win.

Sleepy_Insomniac said:

"If this is true, it sounds rather significant. Still, I wish Sony would allow for full game installs; that's the only thing preventing me from getting the PS3 version of multiplatform games.
    "
    You and me both dude. That and forming groups from the XMB to jump in out of games. I guess exactly like a NXE party.
    DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 10

#32  Edited By DJ_Lae

Neat.

I hope they don't fix the battery indicator/clock, though. That's perfectly broken and has been for a while.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
    deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

systech said:
    "I don't believe any of this until Sony SHOWS ME, THE LYING BASTARDS! AND IT HAS TO BE SOMEONE ELSE THAN THAT LYING CUNT KAZ HIRAI!"
    Caps lock is cool
    Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#34  Edited By Gunner
    TeflonBilly said:
    "systech said:
    "I don't believe any of this until Sony SHOWS ME, THE LYING BASTARDS! AND IT HAS TO BE SOMEONE ELSE THAN THAT LYING CUNT KAZ HIRAI!"
    Caps lock is cool
    "
    No, its cruise control for cool. Duh.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gunner said:
    "TeflonBilly said:
    "systech said:
    Caps lock is cool
    "
    No, its cruise control for cool. Duh.
    "
    You still gotta steer :P
    Guardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Guardian

Would be great if true. My fingers are crossed. 

shimbibby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By shimbibby
    LiveOrDie1212 said:
    "sounds awesome, but whats up with the black texts dude?"
    He probably has the theme on the top of the page (next to network) set to White instead of Black.
    BiG_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#38  Edited By BiG_Weasel

No matter how you slice it, this is a definite step in the right direction for the PS3. They're making strides to stay competitive with Live, and doing it at no cost to their users. I still say paying even $4/month for Live is a rip-off. PC's been doing the same things for years for free.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By get2sammyb

It's an awesome list so I definitely want it to be true. But I'm not holding any stock into it -- the GameTrailers forums aren't the most reliable source and, posting something like this could potentially lose the person their "job" if they had one for real so... hmmm.

HOWEVER - I do hope Sony take note. Pretty much all of those features would help make the PS3 experience even better.

EDIT: Oh. It's his "friend".

Kiemoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Kiemoe

I just wanna listen to music while playing games, that's my dream.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By get2sammyb
    Kiemoe said:
    "I just wanna listen to music while playing games, that's my dream."
    It's been realised?
    Keeng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#42  Edited By Keeng

Wow, this sounds way too good to be true. Cross-game chat is the only Live feature I wanted on PS3. Browsing in-game is absurd and I can't imagine it actually working. The optimization stuff is also sorely needed. To answer the question about why a person would want to change themes mid-game, your icons are reset to the normal XMB icons when you're in a game right now. Being able to change them and have those changes reflected while you play games would presumably keep your altered icons. It's not a huge deal but it would be a plus for sure.

I really hope this is true but it's almost too good. I HAVE to doubt it and just hope I'm wrong.
    bandresen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By bandresen

XMB voice chat while in-game is the most needed feature for me. Hopefully that is in the works.

Lieutenant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Lieutenant

GameTrailers? Why is anyone believing anything from that cesspool?

Why are they also calling it gamercard? Does Sony outright say it's a gamercard?

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By LiquidPrince
    Lieutenant said:
    "GameTrailers? Why is anyone believing anything from that cesspool?

Why are they also calling it gamercard? Does Sony outright say it's a gamercard?
    "
    It's a guy saying it in secret on behalf of some other guy. And, it's not called a gamer tag, it's a PSN ID.

Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 21

#46  Edited By Dolphin_Butter
    SPARTAN_xK said:
    "Sleepy_Insomniac said:
    "

Why?  What do you think is significant enough about the full game installs that's that big of a deal?  just curious..."
    Well, having all the data cached onto the hard drive would obviously make for faster loading times. I mean, imagine Metal Gear Solid 4 without having to install each time per act. I have a 320 GB hard drive with a cache twice as large as the PS3's default parts, so space isn't much of an issue for me. Technically, Blu-Ray has a faster disc read speed than a DVD on 360, so loading times were a little bit faster on the PS3 until NXE came out. I'm not trolling, I'm just spouting information I looked up to support my seemingly awkward statement.

I prefer playing on the PS3 because that's what most of my close friends have; but since I don't play online all that often, I usually go for performance when it comes to picking which version I'll buy. Hence, having full game installs is what'll convince me to get the PS3 version all the time.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sleepy_Insomniac said:
    "Technically, Blu-Ray has a faster disc read speed than a DVD on 360, so loading times were a little bit faster on the PS3 until NXE came out. I'm not trolling, I'm just spouting information I looked up to support my seemingly awkward statement.
    I thought the Blu-ray drive in the PS3 was like 1x or 2x, making it one of the slowest drives on the market. I notice that some Blu-ray movies have an occasional loadings creen, something unheard of on DVD players throughout the years.
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By TwoOneFive

lol good job quoting a post directly from neogaf

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
    TeflonBilly said:
    "Sleepy_Insomniac said:
    "Technically, Blu-Ray has a faster disc read speed than a DVD on 360, so loading times were a little bit faster on the PS3 until NXE came out. I'm not trolling, I'm just spouting information I looked up to support my seemingly awkward statement.
    I thought the Blu-ray drive in the PS3 was like 1x or 2x, making it one of the slowest drives on the market. I notice that some Blu-ray movies have an occasional loadings creen, something unheard of on DVD players throughout the years.
    "
    your right teflon in nearly every way the dvd drive in the 360 is faster then 2x bluray regardless of supposed consistant read speed accross the disc face, and there are no games on the ps3 that load faster then the 360 version unless they use an install or a comprehensive cache, infact most of the exclusives don't get this claim because they use install or a cache constant load scheme.
    Straight disc to ram loading is faster on 360.
    Quadrifoglio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Quadrifoglio

Sweet.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.