Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

PS3 and XBox360 @ The Old Consoles Home

ToddTrumpet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ToddTrumpet

With the launch of both the PS4 and XBox One just around the corner, I wondered how their console predecessors might do in "retirement". The result is the following short (3 minute) comedy video:

Mindful of "U-Toob" Spam, and having just read the "General Discussion" post about it (http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/general-discussion-30/please-read-the-u-toob-spam-stops-now-271975/#143), I'm happy to add the following to spark some discussion - and perhaps learn a few things myself.

A little background: I bought my first console ever about 2 years ago - a Playstation 3. To me, the choice was obvious simply by virtue of the fact that it had a Blu-Ray player, and thus saved me from having to purchase a second device. I have played something on the order of 60 games since them, most (I'd say about 80%) to completion. In other words, I feel fairly familiar with the PS3.

Here's what I don't fully get: What makes XBox360 owners so devoted to their systems?

As the video above hints (perhaps not-so-subtly), in addition to the Blu-Ray player, the PS3 has, IMO, way more and better exclusive games to offer. In fact, one of the central jokes is that any discussion of game exclusives with an XBox360 enthusiast usually denigrates to them shouting "Halo!", as that is their best (and almost only) card to play.

Now, I'm not a user of the Playstation Network. I'm not even signed up (my PS3 purchase nearly coincided with the major hacking incident of the PSN a couple years ago, which cooled my enthusiasm). So maybe the Microsoft online experience is superior?

Or maybe I just have "console bias" because I own a PS3.

In any case, I hope some of you check out the video, and those that do--

Enjoy!

Todd

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

360 owners are devoted to their system?

I bought a 360 first and loved the hell out of it even when I picked up a PS3 for Killzone 2. I only started liking the PS3 more towards the end of the cycle and then shifted over to PC where my love of consoles has dwindled into something almost non-existent until the new boxes show me something that's worth giving a damn.

ToddTrumpet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

...and then shifted over to PC where my love of consoles has dwindled into something almost non-existent...

I certainly wish I had been playing "SKYRIM" on PC, as the breadth and depth of the mods available is truly amazing.

On the other hand, I work on my computer, and have adopted a strict "no games" philosophy when it comes to my PC. Why? Because the temptation would be too great. Besides, I like sitting in a comfy rocker/recliner and staring at a 46" HD screen while playing games.

Even if I miss out on some of the jaw-dropping mods.

Todd

P.S. I recognized your profile pic - Bob Ross is someone I watch almost every night on DVR just before going to bed. Puts me to sleep every time - and I mean that as a compliment!

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@toddtrumpet: That mostly comes down to self-control when it comes to not wanting to play games on a PC that also acts as a workstation and a solution for the living room preference is easily fixed with an HDMI cable to the TV. My PC also acts as my entertainment center which I have plugged into the 50" tv in the living room but I think I may end up keeping it at the desk once I pick up the 1440p monitor I plan on getting.

Also Bob can soothe any soul

Loading Video...

ToddTrumpet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@toddtrumpet: That mostly comes down to self-control when it comes to not wanting to play games on a PC that also acts as a workstation and a solution for the living room preference is easily fixed with an HDMI cable to the TV. My PC also acts as my entertainment center which I have plugged into the 50" tv in the living room but I think I may end up keeping it at the desk once I pick up the 1440p monitor I plan on getting.

Also Bob can soothe any soul

You're right about the self-control thing... which is why I don't load any games on my PC!

I've thought about the HDMI-to-TV setup, but I had two issues: 1.) After reading about it online, there was some question as to configuring it all correctly for HD and getting the proper aspect ratio. And, more importantly; 2.) I don't own a laptop, only a desktop. I know, I know - "Luddite"!

As for the incredible Bob Ross video you embedded, I have two observations:

1.) With almost 6 million hits, I can't believe I never saw this; and even more amazing

2. I believe I actually recognize every single painting he's working on - I think I've seen all 300+ "Best of The Joy of Painting" shows over the years!

I wonder if ('ol) Bob would have played video games...?

Todd

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.