Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

PS3 behaving oddly...

sjhujh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By sjhujh

...hmm I'm a little worried my PS3 might be about to die and its trying to tell me its in trouble. Recently almost every other time I turn it on it beeps and goes through the video output selection thing (the bit where you confirm you want it use HDMI etc)... is there a fault with the system? or am I looking at a dodgy HDMI cable? Or is my OS3 just very forgetful and doesn't remember its meant to be outputting via HDMI... 

Cheers for your help people!

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#2  Edited By citizenkane
    eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By eroticfishcake

Have you tried using the PS3 through a VGA cable yet?

Avatar image for dancedancekennypants
    DanceDanceKennypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sounds to me like a bad connection somewhere.

If you switch to RGB/SCART and then plug your HDMI back in, then this happens. The fact that your HDMI cable works at all suggests that the problem is in the box, maybe around the HDMI output itself.

If you have time maybe you could back up your saves and do a format/reinstall and see if that fixes the problem. Otherwise I'd say get on the phone to Sony.

sjhujh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By sjhujh

damn I don't really want to have to send it off, I'm far too attached to my PS3 for any kind of time away from it... 

I'll try the RGB thing, I've just taken the cable out of both ends and given the ports a little brushing to get rid of any dust that might have infiltrated the socket...

nanikore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By nanikore

Switch your HDMI cable out for a new one as it might be faulty. This happens to me after I've unplugged the cable to the PS3. Don't worry, your PS3 is not about to die.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.