Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

PS3 Hard Drive - From one console to another... ?

Avatar image for deactivated-5884be30433ec
    deactivated-5884be30433ec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

My ps3 died. When i get my replacement will i be able to put my old hard drive into the replacement system and boot it up like normal?

I have a feeling that ps3 hard drives are locked to each system. So my hard drive will only work in the dead ps3. Is that the case and if so what can i do to get the data onto my replacement ps3?

Any help would be awesome.

fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By fr0br0

I'm pretty sure it will work with your new PS3. But be warned, getting the hard drive out is a BITCH.

Avatar image for deactivated-5884be30433ec
    deactivated-5884be30433ec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fr0Br0 said:
    "I'm pretty sure it will work with your new PS3. But be warned, getting the hard drive out is a BITCH."
    Yep. Done it before. Actually had to get a replacement drive caddy because i busted the old one.
    shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By shadows_kill

i think it will work. i dont see why it wouldnt work but im not that good with all the computer stuff...

all i know is make sure not to strip the screws...

chililili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By chililili
    shadows_kill said:
    "i think it will work. i dont see why it wouldnt work but im not that good with all the computer stuff...

all i know is make sure not to strip the screws..."
    Actually it will not work entirely well. You see when you change the hard drive in the ps3 for another hard drive in the same machine you can essentially copy everything and everything will work. But if you change hard drives with another ps3 (and keep your old data) certain things will not be available in the newer ps3. Like certain locked save data and I think downloable games/movies as well as your settings (but those don't matter). You will have to redownload ALL of your games, but don't worry there is a 5 ps3 limit on that (in other words you can download them in 5 different ps3s). As for the save data, I think that is just limited to certain games, like for example Dragon Ball Z: burst Limit has a save file that you cannot copy or transfer into anyhting.

Also I stripped the screws, those stupid screws suck ass.
    shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By shadows_kill
    chililili said:
    "shadows_kill said:
    "i think it will work. i dont see why it wouldnt work but im not that good with all the computer stuff...

all i know is make sure not to strip the screws..."

Also I stripped the screws, those stupid screws suck ass."
    yeah. one screw we almost stripped. if i try to change harddrives now it would be near impossible cause i would strip it for sure.
    Avatar image for gamingisforlife
    Gamingisforlife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Gamingisforlife

If i have a ps3 that got yellow light of death, and take out the hard drive that was 60gb and put it in to a new ps3 that is 320gb that i'm gonna buy will it get 60 gb in it or will it be 320 with all of my savings, how can i get all of the savings and memories from the old one with yellow light of death into a new ps3 ?? Help me, i'm dying !!!

PufferFiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By PufferFiz
    @Gamingisforlife said:
    " If i have a ps3 that got yellow light of death, and take out the hard drive that was 60gb and put it in to a new ps3 that is 320gb that i'm gonna buy will it get 60 gb in it or will it be 320 with all of my savings, how can i get all of the savings and memories from the old one with yellow light of death into a new ps3 ?? Help me, i'm dying !!! "
    my experience is that as soon as you put in the new drive it formats the drive, so your fucked. Though they may have changed this.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.