Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

PS3 only has AV/network i/o ports, how would external cells work?

rachelepithet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By rachelepithet

Is lack of an expansion port similar to the ones on PSX and n64 proof Sony never truly intended for external cell CPUs in your TV, camcorder, fridge, and phone to combine with the PS3 and boost gaming performance? Did Sony ever publicly back away from their claims, and did any magazine or journalist call them out on it?

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By colourful_hippie

I bet when Sony went quiet about all of that stuff everyone else forgot about it. Damn...I wish my PS3 could talk to my microwave.

Silver-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Silver-Streak

Most "Smart" devices such as Smart TVs or the CPU powered Refridgerators have Wifi capabilities or ethernet jacks.

Stete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Stete

Emmm, some backstory would be great here. The PS3 was supposed to do what now?

Plus I think console manufacturers started removing expansion ports because they were relatively easy to be exploited for piracy.

eskimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By eskimo

This was an impossible claim from the get go. CPU architecture is measured in nanometres. Multithreading doesnt work when the CPU is in another room.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By colourful_hippie

@Stete: Sony had planned to put the Cell processor in a bunch of other home appliances to create a Cell ecosystem where they can all talk to each other and your PS3 by the power of magic.

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By lego_my_eggo

@Stete said:

Plus I think console manufacturers started removing expansion ports because they were relatively easy to be exploited for piracy.

I cant remember if they said this specifically about the PS3, but the cell CPU was suppose to be the chip they where going to put into everything, and it would work together with other devices with a cell CPU in your home. So every time you bought a new appliance like a fridge, tv or microwave with a cell chip you would be adding more processing power for all those devices to share. Basically making a small cloud computer for all your devices to tap into if they needed it.

murisan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By murisan

@Lego_My_Eggo said:

@Stete said:

I cant remember if they said this specifically about the PS3, but the cell CPU was suppose to be the chip they where going to put into everything, and it would work together with other devices with a cell CPU in your home. So every time you bought a new appliance like a fridge, tv or microwave with a cell chip you would be adding more processing power for all those devices to share. Basically making a small cloud computer for all your devices to tap into if they needed it.

That sounds SO absurd.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By Justin258

@murisan said:

@Lego_My_Eggo said:

@Stete said:

That sounds SO absurd.

I'd imagine it was a sales pitch that they figured they could add to a feature list and then never deliver on. It's kind of like George Bush Jr. and taxes, only ass-backwards.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.