Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

PS3 Super slim issues

Ericjasonwade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hey guys just had a few issues I wanted to run by yall. Not too long ago I purchased a PS3 super slim 12gb version with the intent of using my old ps4 hdd to swap into it. I swapped it and everything went smoothly or so I thought. I noticed that long load times, severe texture pop in, and almost unplayable fps drops. I played a few games like this and didn't think much of it but then I put in a few games that I knew didn't have problems or at least I had never experienced prior. I played both uncharted 3 and God of war 3 and I've never experienced anything bad in those games but now there's almost always something wrong.

Getting to the point I was wondering if anyone had experienced anything like this, and if so had a solution or maybe an idea for what could be going on. Any help is appreciated.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Are things the same without the new HD installed? I've swapped 3 or 4 PS3 HDs and never seen this, but I don't own a super slim.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#3  Edited By monkeyking1969

My guess is your old HDD might be failing or having issues. However, that is just a guess from the symptoms described.

So you have two options really:

1) Bit the bullet, buy a new (probably larger) HDD.

2) Take out the old hard drive wipe it --> reformat it --> do a error check & repair pass* --> reinstall it in the PS3 --> download everything off the cloud again.

How to format a PS3 drive:

Download a clean PS3 system software copy onto a thumb drive; you do this first or at least have a thumb drive ready because you will need it later. Pull out your hard drive, install it on your computer as a drive, and do a full format of the drive in FAT32 format. DO not do a Quick because format that does nothing to wipe data or prepare the disc. Do a full format and if possible do a error check & repair pass as well (this might be important if you drive is damaged). If your Win OS gives you issues about formatting it, there are programs for free that will MAKE IT do it. They say NTFS format will work, but I think Sony 'recommends' trying to format it in FAT32 if possible.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b031d0e868a5
    deactivated-5b031d0e868a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

I seem to remember Uncharted 3 having strange problems when I played through it on my 500GB super slim PS3.

Ericjasonwade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Ericjasonwade

So I formatted it via using the PS3 safe mode I don't know if there is a difference between that and using the computer. Regardless it's still having issues.

One thing I did see that I thought was off was considering that this is the 12gb super slim it comes with no hdd or at least one in the hdd enclosure, but after I formatted it I checked to see my available storage and it said 412 out of 465. Now I'm not too tech savvy but since the PS3 keeps the system software on itself shouldn't I be allotted all 465 of the hdd? There shouldn't be any system software taking up any storage because that's the point of the 12gb in the first place?

I'll take it home and try what you said, like I said though I'm not too tech savvy so I'll try my best to get the hdd in the right format. I'll also try playing the system with no hdd and see how that works. Thanks for the help!

rachelepithet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

I'm having similar problems, but literally can't afford the bandwidth cost of re-downloading 300GB of games, let alone the fact that on Sony's servers, that could take leaving the PS3 on 24 hours a day for three weeks (as it did the first time I upgraded the hard drive a few months ago).

Ericjasonwade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Luckily I have no limit on how much I can download but it is very tedious with the speeds however. I don't mind fixing what I need to fix I just wanna know what's wrong with it. I hope it's not a faulty PS3. The hdd is from my ps4 so it shouldn't be bad but who knows.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Luckily I have no limit on how much I can download but it is very tedious with the speeds however. I don't mind fixing what I need to fix I just wanna know what's wrong with it. I hope it's not a faulty PS3. The hdd is from my ps4 so it shouldn't be bad but who knows.

No Caption Provided

I can tell you that with the 12GB flash system that when you install a HDD you superceed the flash memory, in effect that memory is gone. (Its tell you that in the Notice box to the left, "...the 12GB of internal memory will no longer be available.") So in effect you are now using the HDD for all data, all saves, and all firmware.

Just a question: you bought the HDD mounting kit for your system?
    I'm not trying to insult you, I'm just trying to run down issues. Probably, the new HDD work intermittently without the mounting kit...but vibrations would make it fail without the proper mount. So, again, I'm just asking to cover the bases.

Ericjasonwade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monkeyking1969:

Yea I have the hdd mounting kit installed alongside. I took out the hdd and used the flash memory instead and it still had problems so I'm assuming the unit must be defective if I'm eliminating that option. Or the discs for both those games are broken which is likely sarcasm.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monkeyking1969:

Yea I have the hdd mounting kit installed alongside. I took out the hdd and used the flash memory instead and it still had problems so I'm assuming the unit must be defective if I'm eliminating that option. Or the discs for both those games are broken which is likely sarcasm.

Yup, sounds like a bigger issue than the HDD. Good luck.

BelowStupid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just swapped my super slim's hdd for my ps4's old 500gb this saturday and I haven't seen any problems so I'm guessing it's your old hdd. I had to redownload everything so I'd try that before buying a new hdd.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.