Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

PS3 won't display 1080p?

Avatar image for xtrememuffinman
    Xtrememuffinman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Xtrememuffinman

So I have my PS3 hooked up to a Sony Bravia, and on the XMB it's set to 1080p, and displays it to. But when I start up a game ( Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood at the moment, which does support 1080p) it only displays 720p. What's up with that? There are no graphic options within the game or anything.

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By FunExplosions

Check the back of AC:B's box. Does it allow 1080p? A lot of games only go up to 720.

02sfraser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By 02sfraser

A lot of games are 720p due to the lack of a software upscaler.

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Grissefar

Most retail games only support 720p. The only non-downloadable game I can think of that supports 1080p is Gran Turismo. You're probably wrong about the game supporting 1080p.

Avatar image for the_hiro_abides
    the_hiro_abides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By the_hiro_abides

I second that.
    Amducious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Amducious

Had the same with red dead on the ps3. Only displayed at 720p while other games hit the full 1080. Red dead displayed at 1080p on the 360 *shrugs* No idea why.

Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 21

#7  Edited By Dolphin_Butter

You can force 1080p on some games by unchecking 720p on the display settings. However, that results in a decreased performance and whatnot. In the case of older games, it'll downgrade to 480p instead. Regardless, I'd advise just keeping it at 720p; games look better at their native resolution anyway.

Amducious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Amducious
    @Sleepy_Insomniac said:
    " You can force 1080p on some games by unchecking 720p on the display settings. However, that results in a decreased performance and whatnot. In the case of older games, it'll downgrade to 480p instead. Regardless, I'd advise just keeping it at 720p; games look better at their native resolution anyway. "
    Good advice :)
    zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#9  Edited By zidd
    @mue: The 360 has a hardware scaler inside of it. The scaler scales everything up to resolution you set in the dashboard system settings.
    Avatar image for xtrememuffinman
    Xtrememuffinman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Xtrememuffinman

It says 1080p right on the back of the box. 
    "HD Video Output: 480p - 720p- 1080i- 1080p*

*Video output in Full HD 1080p requires an HDMI cable and a 1080p native display with an HDMI input supporting HDCP"

gamb1t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By gamb1t
    @Grissefar said:
    "  Most retail games only support 720p. The only non-downloadable game I can think of that supports 1080p is Gran Turismo. You're probably wrong about the game supporting 1080p. "
    MGS4, Blackops
    copycatzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By copycatzen
    @Xtrememuffinman said:
    "It says 1080p right on the back of the box.  "HD Video Output: 480p - 720p- 1080i- 1080p*  *Video output in Full HD 1080p requires an HDMI cable and a 1080p native display with an HDMI input supporting HDCP" "

Maybe your TV does not support HDCP
    ltcoljaxson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ltcoljaxson

I bet that they made it able to support 1080p for those with TV's that do not have 720p (since the PS3 does not seem to upscale otherwise). So it is more than likely natively 720p, which is why it goes to that when you boot up the game. Hope this helps!

teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By teh_pwnzorer

The resolution of a lot of (small to medium) TVs is actually 1360x768.  So whether the hdmi signal is 720p or 1080p, the output will look a bit crappy either way (because of scaling).

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By EpicSteve

Most games don't support native 1080p.

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Meowshi

This just goes to show you that most people don't fully understand HD.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#17  Edited By sammo21
    @Xtrememuffinman: Unless the game is made to be in that resolution, it doesn't happen.  On the 360 it will upscale, but you aren't really playing the game in 1080p only its stretched to fit that.  At this point, 99.5% of games do not support 1080p reso but at the same time I think that 720p works just as well for the games I have seen.
    cjmabry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By cjmabry
    @sammo21 said:

" @Xtrememuffinman: Unless the game is made to be in that resolution, it doesn't happen.  On the 360 it will upscale, but you aren't really playing the game in 1080p only its stretched to fit that.  At this point, 99.5% of games do not support 1080p reso but at the same time I think that 720p works just as well for the games I have seen. "

This. 

@Xtrememuffinman:

Almost all 360/PS3 games don't support 1080p, they're just being upscaled. You're not missing out playing in 720p, as that's what 99.95% of console games run at. In the case that your TV says it's 1080p in-game, it's simply being upscaled, unless it's one of the very, very few titles that actually support native 1080p. In fact I've yet to see a game with rock hard evidence of native 1080p support.
    yoctoyotta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19  Edited By yoctoyotta
    @cjmabry said:
    " @sammo21 said:

" @Xtrememuffinman: Unless the game is made to be in that resolution, it doesn't happen.  On the 360 it will upscale, but you aren't really playing the game in 1080p only its stretched to fit that.  At this point, 99.5% of games do not support 1080p reso but at the same time I think that 720p works just as well for the games I have seen. "

This. 

@Xtrememuffinman:

Almost all 360/PS3 games don't support 1080p, they're just being upscaled. You're not missing out playing in 720p, as that's what 99.95% of console games run at. In the case that your TV says it's 1080p in-game, it's simply being upscaled, unless it's one of the very, very few titles that actually support native 1080p. In fact I've yet to see a game with rock hard evidence of native 1080p support. "
    Exactly. There are some XBLA and PSN games that do true 1080p, one of the most robust being Wipeout HD on the PS3, but almost no graphically-intense games are rendered at 1080p. The real issue which arises is whether the system renders at a lower resolution and then upscales, or if it outputs true 720p to your  1080p TV, which then itself upscales the content, arguably better than the console is capable of doing on its own. Then there's the whole other issue of games being rendered at sub-720p resolutions such as Halo 3 on the 360 and Red Dead Redemption on the PS3 and then upscaled accordingly. Not a big issue at the end of the day, but good to know whats going on.
    MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#20  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Yeah, most PS3 games don't really let you play in 1080P, even though some say 1080P on the back of the box. Some do though, I remember MGS4 did, and oddly enough, I think Blops does (or at least it doesn't pop up a thing saying the TV resolution changed liked how it does in every other case). Probably some other ones, but I can't really think of anything else. 

To be honest though, isn't 720P good enough? 

Avatar image for harbinger_of_hippos
    Harbinger_Of_Hippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I think most games don't support 1080p, so, while it displays 1080p on the XMB, the game makes it go back to 720p because that's the best it supports. And the native resolution of the TV itself might affect it too. That's the best explanation I've got, anyway.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.