Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

PS3 YLOD Blow-dryer trick

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for matt_the_sniper
    Matt_the_Sniper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Matt_the_Sniper

Well ladies and gentlemen after a couple days of research, and a couple hours of work, I have to say that the trick works like a charm. All you need is your ps3 box, a bunch of cardboard, stapler, tape, scissors, and a hairdryer. Pretty much all you do is nestle your ps3 in the box so that the back vent shafts are facing out toward you. Then you just use the cardboard, staples, and tape to fasten some makeshift tubes together to fit directly over the vent shafts. After that you use more materials (cardboard, etc.) to make a funnel like vent to lead to the smaller ones. Once thats done you should be able to close the box and the funnel vent should stick out. The last step is to use more materials to make a final larger funnel vent for the hair-dryer to nestle into so it stays in place. So now all you have to do is tape everything down and make sure that there arent too many open spaces. Now just put the hair-dryer in the top funnel and put it on high. Let it sit and heat up for about 20mins, then take it out and put it next to a fan on its highest setting. Wait about 15mins or until the ps3 is entirely cool and then go plug it in and test it out. Just finished trying it out for mine and it works like a charm. Also remember that you have not really fixed the problem, from now on you have to keep the vents in the ps3 clean so that they never go on full drive, and you have to keep the system cool at all times that it is on.  

*Keep in mind that this will only work for yellow lighted ps3's that have a  MOTHERBOARD FAIL ISSUE, if your ps3 has a faulty power core or is yellow lighting for any other reason this WILL NOT WORK.

Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
    addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All these carboard, towels, blow dryer and whatever tricks seem pretty sketchy to me, but thx for the heads up

Matt_the_Sniper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Matt_the_Sniper

Well there arent any towels in there, but I'm sitting here ith my PS3 running like there's no tomorrow, when it would'nt even get to the load screen just yesterday.
    iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By iam3green

i really don't get what ur saying. can't u just do the towel trick like the xbox 360?

slinky6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By slinky6

none of this macgyver shit actually works.

Avatar image for emandudeguyperson
    Emandudeguyperson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Emandudeguyperson

That is so confusing, I would rather just send it to Sony then go through all that crap.

Avatar image for dancedancekennypants
    DanceDanceKennypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Send it to Sony.

Never blow air in to your console. Use a vacuum cleaner.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Sounds like the towel trick, you might as well send it to Sony before you fuck something up and it's not covered under warranty.

RollHard86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By RollHard86

My 
    My PS3 40G YLODed twice and this does work but you dont use a blow dryer,  you use a heat gun set about 700F-800F.  My warranty was up and this did work.  and used new thermo compound.  Arctic Silver 5.

I
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By LiquidPrince

I really love how people are trying to make it into a thing... YLOD... Right.

adziboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By adziboy
    @LiquidPrince:

Well how isn't it a 'thing'? It's a known problem which causes a yellow light, which also makes the PS3 un-usuable... that IS a thing.
    Nighttide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Nighttide
    @Matt_the_Sniper said:
    All you need is your ps3 box, a bunch of cardboard, stapler, tape, scissors, and a hairdryer.

This generation of gaming is awesome.

Luckily, my PS3 (launch 60gb) hasn't had to deal with the YLOD. It's had other problems, of course, like an occasionally vanishing XMB, but other than that...
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By LiquidPrince
    @Adziboy said:
    " @LiquidPrince: Well how isn't it a 'thing'? It's a known problem which causes a yellow light, which also makes the PS3 un-usuable... that IS a thing. "
    RROD was a thing only because it was so widespread. YLOD should not be a thing that requires it's own acronym because it is such a small occurrence. Something like 3% which is the standard with all electronics. People are trying to MAKE it into a thing.
    Matt_the_Sniper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Matt_the_Sniper

All I know is it completely bricked mine and I had no warranties Macgyver or not it only works for about a week but i've done it four times now with no probs.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By eroticfishcake

@Matt_the_Sniper said:

" All I know is it completely bricked mine and I had no warranties Macgyver or not it only works for about a week but i've done it four times now with no probs. " 
    That's three times too many isn't it? Unless we're talking different PS3s you're doing it to. Sounds more like a last resort this whole thing but thanks anyway.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.