Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Running Out of Space on my PS3

GJSmitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By GJSmitty

Hello guys. A while ago, back in '06 or '07, I got a PS3. It was the original, backwards compatible model with 80 gigabytes if storage. Back then that seemed like plenty, and I felt that I would never run out.

I was wrong

For awhile now, I have been having to go back and delete old game data and games, so that I just barely have enough memory for an update or install. It is frustrating, and at this point I have gotten rid of all of the fluff that I don't play, but it's still not enough. Just yesterday, I bought Red Dead Redemption on PSN, and I do not have enough memory to install it. I am sure that I would be able to delete some stuff to barely get enough room. But I'm sick of that.

So my question to you is, is there an easy way to increase the storage? I understand that I could get a new hard drive, but would I have to switch it back if I wanted to play an older game? Have any of you ever gone through something like this?

Thanks in advance.

RuthLoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By RuthLoose
    Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Andorski

Yup, speaking from experience I can vouch for how simple it is to replace the drive. Just back up your HDD onto an external drive and then switch them out.

As the other poster said though, DO NOT buy a hard drive right now. A quick check on Amazon yielded horrible prices. Do you know what's taking up all the space on your hard drive right now? If you are constantly deleting game data, I wonder what is taking up most of your HDD space. Do you just have a lot of PSN games?

Ujio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By Ujio
    RuthLoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By RuthLoose

@grant742: Pro Tip: Transfer games to an 8 GB USB thumb drive and store them on your computer until you need to play them again. At least, I think you can transfer games.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By AhmadMetallic

my ps3 is gathering dust like a motherfucker. I can't believe I bought that thing for one game.. Stupid childish gamer impulsiveness  

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By MideonNViscera

My PS3 owning pal told me that some game saves are locked out of any type of transfer. Is that actually true? I'm more inclined to believe he doesn't know what he's doing haha

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#8  Edited By Hizang

I don't know how my PS3 is doing, I got about 100+ games including a few games from the store. I have a 160GB Slim, I think I'm alright, may check though.

RuthLoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By RuthLoose

@MideonNViscera: That is false. You can even go on GameFAQs and download save games there and play them on your PS3 (Unfortunately, trophies will be locked but you know... video games).

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By Branthog
    @RuthLoose said:

It is extremely easy to upgrade your hard drive on your PS3.

The major problem: hard drive prices are at all time highs thanks to flooding in Taiwan. You may want to hold off until the Spring.

Well, that's part of the problem. Flooding only impacted about twenty percent of the manufacturing capacity, which doesn't quite seem to justify retailers almost immediately price-gouging at 250% of the price.
    RuthLoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By RuthLoose

@Branthog: True. But retailers are always trying to ween consumers off of deals when they can. This happens all the time in the world of produce in the grocery store.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By mikey87144

The time to upgrade your HDD was 2 months ago. Now you have to wait until next year.

IkariNoTekken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By IkariNoTekken

@MideonNViscera said:

My PS3 owning pal told me that some game saves are locked out of any type of transfer. Is that actually true? I'm more inclined to believe he doesn't know what he's doing haha

@RuthLoose said:

@MideonNViscera: That is false. You can even go on GameFAQs and download save games there and play them on your PS3 (Unfortunately, trophies will be locked but you know... video games).

Actually, your friend is right; multiple games have locked saves that cannot be transferred off of the system. It's a pretty well known issue.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By bybeach

@AhmadMetallic said:

my ps3 is gathering dust like a motherfucker. I can't believe I bought that thing for one game.. Stupid childish gamer impulsiveness

Off topic but '?' I'm honestly confused but I am not in your shoes.

@RuthLoose said:

@grant742: Pro Tip: Transfer games to an 8 GB USB thumb drive and store them on your computer until you need to play them again. At least, I think you can transfer games.

On topic, I'd like to learn as much about this as possible,because i'm rocking the old 60 gb w/backwards compatability..so I could play the one PS 2 game I ever liked, (Killer 7) I still have space but hey... and it is absurdly easy to change out the HDD..except for what Branthog and ppl. are saying about the state(and manipulation) of the market...

Edit, just checked, I got 15 gigs left....

MidgardDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MidgardDragon

I'm extremely glad I got a 320GB model from the get-go. I would've been out of space in the first 3 months if I got the lowest, and would be running out now if I got the 160.

strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By strainedeyes

Also be careful, a small number of games do not allow their saves to be transferred.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By mariokart64fan

i got only 25 gigs left, and i wouldnt say its easy , because i have all my timesplitters maps on it and transfering seams very impossible because i dont have a60 gig thumbstick or somthing similar cause nothing of that size is released ,

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#18  Edited By rjayb89

Have any Qore episodes? Don't. They don't have Veronica Belmont anymore.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.