Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Should I buy a PS3 now or wait?

ZombieJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By ZombieJesus

After sending my 360 away for a second time in a month I have decided to purchase a PS3. Thanks to the weakening great british pound I can get a LittleBigPlanet 80GB PS3 bundle and Motorstorm: Pacific Rift for around €300 on amazon.co.uk here. Considering the standard PS3 in Ireland is €400 this is an excellent deal.
    My question to you guys is should I buy a PS3 now or wait for a price drop?
    Any help will be appreciated.

dsplayer1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By dsplayer1010

No seems like a good time. There are good games now, and a more coming down the line

Optiow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3  Edited By Optiow

Get it now.

fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By fr0br0

Get that shit!

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#5  Edited By Vinchenzo

You can't really get an unbiased answer other than doing some research and deciding what is best for you, and when.

ZombieJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ZombieJesus
    Vinchenzo said:
    "You can't really get an unbiased answer other than doing some research and deciding what is best for you, and when."
    Good point but my question is basically will Sony drop the price ot he PS3 in the coming months.
    KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By KamasamaK
    ZombieJesus said:
    "Vinchenzo said:
    "You can't really get an unbiased answer other than doing some research and deciding what is best for you, and when."
    Good point but my question is basically will Sony drop the price ot he PS3 in the coming months."
    Even then you'll just get speculation. If you want it now then get it.
    kcwsk8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By kcwsk8

I think Sony will drop the price, but I think you should get it now anyway. Best of luck and be sure to do as much research as possible.

PufferFiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By PufferFiz
    dcpc10 said:
    "ZombieJesus said:
    "Vinchenzo said:
    Good point but my question is basically will Sony drop the price ot he PS3 in the coming months."
    I remember hearing from somewhere that sony confirmed a price drop in Q1/Q2 of 2009 but i may be mistaken."
    read an interview saying there will be no price drop but maybe summer of 09.
    anything could happen though.
    shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By shadows_kill

it sounds like a good deal. 100 euros less and 2 great games :D (idk about motorstorm 2 but i liked the demo) also if it does drop price i doupt you could still get that deal.

Qorious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Qorious

Get it now! You won't regret it! LittleBigPlanet and Motorstorm are both great games!!!

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By daniel_beck_90

Do not hesitate , go and get it , you won,t get it that cheap even after March 2009's price drop .

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#13  Edited By the8bitNacho

Honestly, there isn't going to be a better time.  There are actually a substantial amount of games out for the system now that are worth playing, and it doubles impressively as a Blu-Ray player.  I'd say the current generation of consoles have about two solid years left, maybe more, so I'd get it now if I were you.  Just make sure you pick up Valkyria Chronicles while you're at it, because those guys deserve a little more recognition for making such an amazing, beautiful game.

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By daniel_beck_90
    Kombat said:
    "  I'd say the current generation of consoles have about two solid years left,
      be sure that we will see great games coming for current generation of consoles till 2011-2012 .
    the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#15  Edited By the8bitNacho
    daniel_beck_90 said:
    "Kombat said:
    "  I'd say the current generation of consoles have about two solid years left,
      be sure that we will see great games coming for current generation of consoles till 2011-2012 ."
    Probably.  Look at Persona 4.
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By LiquidPrince

Now is good.

psmgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By psmgamer

You won't be disappointed with the PS3 if you get it now.

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By coakroach

Depends if your money-conscious enough to wait for another price drop

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By get2sammyb

I wouldn't hold out for a price drop. It's true the system might drop price in the new fiscal year (that's around April) but it's nowhere near guaranteed. Analysts expect it to happen but, you sound like you want the PS3 now. And you're getting it at a good price too. :)

ColMustard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ColMustard

I can't bring myself to buy one. I have a family and a mortgage and I live in the real world where people lose jobs and suffer in life.  No PS3 for me.

DirrtyNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By DirrtyNinja
    Kombat said:
    "  Just make sure you pick up Valkyria Chronicles while you're at it, because those guys deserve a little more recognition for making such an amazing, beautiful game."
    Indeed they do.

Back on point tho, i do not understand these people who wait a couple of months to get 50 ( insert currency) off the price of the system. Surely if you buy it now , playing and enjoying the system for the months before said price drop, makes up for the paltry lose of your monies. Never did understand this one.
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By get2sammyb
    ColMustard said:
    "I can't bring myself to buy one. I have a family and a mortgage and I live in the real world where people lose jobs and suffer in life.  No PS3 for me."
    Well, yeah, that's fair enough.

DirrtyNinja said:
    "Kombat said:
    "  Just make sure you pick up Valkyria Chronicles while you're at it, because those guys deserve a little more recognition for making such an amazing, beautiful game."
    Indeed they do.

Back on point tho, i do not understand these people who wait a couple of months to get 50 ( insert currency) off the price of the system. Surely if you buy it now , playing and enjoying the system for the months before said price drop, makes up for the paltry lose of your monies. Never did understand this one.
    "
    Yeah, I totally agree with that. I might have spent £300 on a PS3 but playing it almost everyday for nearly 11 months means I don't feel like I spent too much on it. I'm more than happy.
    Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#23  Edited By Snipzor

Just wait for the worldwide prices to fall, then buy it. That's my plan, and I'm sticking to it.

/Still waiting for better games
    Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#24  Edited By Red

I dunnoh.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By penguindust

I say wait 'til spring. There are too many rumors circulating now that suggest that the system's price will drop in a few months.  I think it is a great system (I have the backward compatible 60gig sku) with a ton of good games out now, but if you can get by game-free until your 360 returns (mine broke twice), saving some money in this economy is always a worthwhile venture.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By TwoOneFive

you should get one now, theres plenty of great games for it now, and many great ones coming out soon. 

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By get2sammyb
    PenguinDust said:
    "I say wait 'til spring. There are too many rumors circulating now that suggest that the system's price will drop in a few months.  I think it is a great system (I have the backward compatible 60gig sku) with a ton of good games out now, but if you can get by game-free until your 360 returns (mine broke twice), saving some money in this economy is always a worthwhile venture."
    Which is kinda half the problem as to why we're so fucked. ;)
    Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#28  Edited By Hector

Instead of posting this you should have gone out and gotten it. Go get it!

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#29  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

I think it's worth it now.  I just bought one myself last week, and I'm very pleased.  The games I picked up (MGS4, Valkyria Chronicles, Motorstorm Pacific Rift, and Disgaea 3) have made the system purchase justifiable even if a price drop should happen in the next few months.  I say go for it if you have the cash!

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By brukaoru

You may want to wait a few months, they could announce a price drop soon, but that's all speculation. If you think there's enough games to warrant the price, then I'd say go for it.

Avatar image for altered_confusion
    Altered_Confusion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 264

I'm personally still not completely sold on the PS3. I own one, but that's only because I wanted to have one that had the hardware emulation, and not software. I guess it depends on the type of games you want to be playing, I personally still favor XBOX360 when it comes to multi-platform games. I've been using mine for the most part as a Blu-ray player.

KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#32  Edited By KamasamaK

Wait... Okay, now.

monosylabik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By monosylabik
    dcpc10 said:
    "ZombieJesus said:
    "Vinchenzo said:
    I remember hearing from somewhere that sony confirmed a price drop in Q1/Q2 of 2009 but i may be mistaken."
    It is not confirmed, but a strong rumor. I personally don't think they will because of the restructuring that is going to happen soon and they are going to try and recoup all that money that will be lost during these times.
    Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Hexpane

Patience is a virtue.  If you buy now, then they drop the price in 9 months you could be upset?  There is no reason to rush out and buy one now, the current SKUs lack the BC, mem cards etc...

I have a 60gb and it was fucking expensive, but I use the PS2 BC a LOT so for me it was worth it. 

chililili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#35  Edited By chililili
    Hexpane said:
    "Patience is a virtue.  If you buy now, then they drop the price in 9 months you could be upset?  There is no reason to rush out and buy one now, the current SKUs lack the BC, mem cards etc...

I have a 60gb and it was fucking expensive, but I use the PS2 BC a LOT so for me it was worth it. "
    I think they will price drop most likely in March, what with the whole new Resident Evil 5 SKU
    BiG_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#36  Edited By BiG_Weasel

I brought this up in my own thread, but here's something you should consider. Do you feel that the PS3 is worth the money? Is its "perceived value" enough that it justifies buying it? If that's the case, go for it. $399 USD is a lot of money nowadays when the economy is struggling. Impulse buying and "wants" vs "needs" are becoming the deciding factor in most people's (myself included) purchases.

I do feel strongly that Sony will drop the price at some point in the near future. 2009 is predicted to be tougher than 2008, and non-essential purchases will take a hit. The principle of the "Thin Market" states that people aren't always going to buy what you have to offer, and that market gets thinner as the price of the item goes up. Right now, with increased living expenses, job security concerns, and low buyer confidence, Sony's hand may be forced if they want to stay competitive.

Avatar image for bryanguitardude
    BryanGuitarDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By BryanGuitarDude

to get it now would be a horrible idea. If you made it this far past the holiday season without a PS3 i say wait until the next inevitable price drop in 2009. those games arent going anywhere. Except maybe down in price....just wait dude.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By LiquidPrince
    Hexpane said:
    "Patience is a virtue.  If you buy now, then they drop the price in 9 months you could be upset?  There is no reason to rush out and buy one now, the current SKUs lack the BC, mem cards etc...

I have a 60gb and it was fucking expensive, but I use the PS2 BC a LOT so for me it was worth it. "

Nine months O_o

44MAGNUMRAM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By 44MAGNUMRAM

NOW!!!

and help make the media look stupid.

granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#41  Edited By granderojo

I am also waiting for a price drop, but I am buying an HD TV first.

After I get the HD TV, I will work on getting a PS3, by that time it should be priced dropped and if not fuck it I am getting one anyways.

Bass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#43  Edited By Bass

Considering the fact that many believe that Sony will drop the price of the PS3, it would be my decision to wait. That said, if you really want one soon, the titles are finally starting to roll in, so it couldn't really hurt to pick it up now.

bandro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By bandro

if you want a job in the industry you have to buy all 3 and list yourself as an "anti-fanboy" on your resume

Stanford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Stanford

Buy one now.  There are already some great games for it right now and there are some great games coming out in 09

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Pibo47
    Snipzor said:
    "Just wait for the worldwide prices to fall, then buy it. That's my plan, and I'm sticking to it.
    /Still waiting for better games
    "
    This. If i already didnt have a PS3 this is what i would be doing, because as it is, the PS3 is not worth the cash.
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By LiquidPrince

So... Did you get one...?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.