Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Should i get a PS3 now?

godemperor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By godemperor

I currently a happy owner of a 360 and a wii, but with he recent trailer for GOW3 and uncharted 2 and killzone 2 is really tempting me to get a Ps3 for christmas. my main reason is that 2009 seems to be the "year of PS3", but i am also really worried considering how 2008 went for the PS3, should i get a PS3 now or maybe during 2009 when the supposed price cut comes? thanx.

please, no fanboy replies, like "PS3 rules, 360 sux"

PS: is Home any good?

MOLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By MOLE

I own a PS3, and its great.  But get it for the exlusives, don't get it for COD games and Madden, get it for MGS4 and the games that truely matter.  By the way Home is so fun to mess around in, you'll be suprised how many people you will meet just by using text chat.

AndrewGaspar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By AndrewGaspar

I say wait until E3 next year. If they don't mention a price drop then, go out and buy a PS3.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Rowr

i have heard mixed reactions on home.

Unless your after a currently featureless 3d chat, im not sure of the use of home. Perhaps in time it will grow to something more useful with more features. Atm its sort of a giant advertising vehicle, which i doubt will hold your focus for very long.

I would wait for a price drop. All the games you listed are still a little way aways.

Its probably worth noting that the last 2 years have been the "Year of the PS3".

And you can bet that if 2009 does in fact become the year of the ps3, 2010 will be the year of the xbox720.

SSbabel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By SSbabel

I was in the same predicament as yourself, and the answer buy a PS3 and u wanna know why blu-ray baby yeah.

godemperor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By godemperor
    SSbabel said:
    "I was in the same predicament as yourself, and the answer buy a PS3 and u wanna know why blu-ray baby yeah."
    the problem is that i alreadt own a blu-ray player as a gift (blu-ray is great), but spending 400$ on a console is quite a large investment cos i just finished college, and i wanted the PS3 to worth every cent i paid.
    Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Otacon

Give it until Spring, if the rumoured March price drop doesn't happen buy one. It is worth it for the exclusives and the general different experience PS3 gives. An extra Blu Ray player isn't a bad thing either is it?

SSbabel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SSbabel
    godemperor said:
    "SSbabel said:
    "I was in the same predicament as yourself, and the answer buy a PS3 and u wanna know why blu-ray baby yeah."
    the problem is that i alreadt own a blu-ray player as a gift (blu-ray is great), but spending 400$ on a console is quite a large investment cos i just finished college, and i wanted the PS3 to worth every cent i paid."
    I see, i see, well they've also got some dope game MGS4 for example, that's the actual reason i bought the console and the blu-ray was a major bonus.
    KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#9  Edited By KamasamaK

Considering all of the games you mentioned are not out yet, I don't see why you'd get it now. It's difficult to say when a price cut might happen. Maybe around the release of Killzone 2. Who knows? When you do get your PS3, though, I would recommend not only getting new games as it has a decent backlog.

TEAMHOLT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TEAMHOLT

There's enough of a back catalog that there's plenty of games to play on it as soon as you buy one, and there's some pretty cool stuff coming out in 2009. You can spend the next few months anticipating a price drop, or you can be playing games right now.

BlackWaterCO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11  Edited By BlackWaterCO

Just wait a little longer

Due to poor sales, they have no other option BUT to cut the price

Im guessing in March they will slash prices to 349.99

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By kush

First...I am not a fan of Home, but some people like it and that's good for them. Secondly, I wouldn't buy a PS3 until it gets a price cut...a cut has to come sometime soon or the PS3 will continue its poor sales.

BlackWaterCO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BlackWaterCO
    Kush said:
    "First...I am not a fan of Home, but some people like it and that's good for them. Secondly, I wouldn't buy a PS3 until it gets a price cut...a cut has to come sometime soon or the PS3 will continue its poor sales."

Fuck Home...I deleted that shit

Killzone 2, Uncharted 2, God of War III, Infamous, MAG, The Agency, Jak & Daxter TLF....THESE are the sole reasons I bought my PS3

And Im a 360 man too, lol
    kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By kush

I don't know why you would buy a PS3 for The Agency and MAG ...and I am a huge fan, but I really don't know when we'll be seeing a new Jak & Daxter game. <--- Makes me very sad. Also, where is my DAMN! Team ICO game!?

suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By suneku

Listen to the latest bombcast and they pretty much sum up how boring home will be after about an hour. I bought a PS3 just for MGS4 and still am happy with it even though I don't play much games on it, I've been watching a ton of blu ray movies. Don't know how I could stand watching regular dvds before.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By kush
    suneku said:
    "Listen to the latest bombcast and they pretty much sum up how boring home will be after about an hour. I bought a PS3 just for MGS4 and still am happy with it even though I don't play much games on it, I've been watching a ton of blu ray movies. Don't know how I could stand watching regular dvds before."
    I am happy with my PS3 purchase as a PS2 player and Blu-ray player. I feel lucky to own a 60GB.
    BlackWaterCO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By BlackWaterCO

60GB in my Crib

Plays all PS1 PS2 games and region free too :D

jonnyp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By jonnyp

If you really like blu rays.  If not i'd wait til a price drop and/or killzone

godemperor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By godemperor

thanx for the advice, i will delay my purchase of the PS3, maybe to after E3(to see if there gunna be a price cut). i guess i will spend my christmas with my 360 and waiting for the next decent wii game while it collects dust.

KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#20  Edited By KamasamaK
    BlackWaterCO said:
    Killzone 2, Uncharted 2, God of War III, Infamous, MAG, The Agency, Jak & Daxter TLF....THESE are the sole reasons I bought my PS3

And Im a 360 man too, lol"
    Hopefully also Uncharted: Drake's Fortune. The only reason I can see why someone would be excited about the sequel is if they enjoyed the first game.
    BlackWaterCO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By BlackWaterCO
    godemperor said:
    "thanx for the advice, i will delay my purchase of the PS3, maybe to after E3(to see if there gunna be a price cut). i guess i will spend my christmas with my 360 and waiting for the next decent wii game while it collects dust."

Good plan
    The_Crucible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By The_Crucible

It doesn't matter if it is spring of 2007, spring of 2008, winter of 2008, or spring of 2009, it's time to get a PS3.

Why?  Because it will give you the best all-around experience of ANY of the three consoles.

Why?  Because you not only get some of the best HD gaming, you also get free online play, free access to PSN (downloads, Home, etc), you get the blu-ray player, free wifi, sixaxis (yes, it works and its cool), and all of the excellent exclusives.

Now, I can see if you are a teenager or a young adult how you might be making a big penny stretch for a PS3.  And I can see that, that type of gamer may not get the full PS3 experience due to no HDTV, small living space, etc.

But for an older gamer, one who needs to enetertain many types and ages of people, it doesn't get batter than PS3.

My PS3 is on, at least, 7 hours a day.  3 of those hours are my gameplay.  The rest is dedicated to my 1.5 year old son, wife, and other gamers in my home.

Most of what I do with the PS3 can NOT be done on the Wii.  And some of it can't be done on 360 out of the box.

If you really look at the pricing of the 360 and the PS3 for what you get for what you need, PS3 is a great deal.

Try really enjoying an 360 without a HDD.  Try really enjoying your 360 when you have a large living space and you have no wifi.  Try sayig blu-ray is mediocre once watching them on a HDTV.

Then go try and fix those missing needs by spending more money on 360 than your initial investment.  Then realize you still have no blu-ray.

It is time, TC.  Get a PS3.

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By coakroach

Play Littlebigplanet splitscreen
    Fan-freakin-tastic stuff

Mats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Mats

Sony has said that they will uppen the price on a lot of their products since the japanese yen has become less worth. I don't know if that includes the PS3.

godemperor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By godemperor
    The_Crucible said:
    Here are some counter arguments:
    in the end, i probably will get a PS3 in 2009 now, probably during the Q3, thanx for the advice!
    "It doesn't matter if it is spring of 2007, spring of 2008, winter of 2008, or spring of 2009, it's time to get a PS3.
    Subjective

Why?  Because it will give you the best all-around experience of ANY of the three consoles.
    Subjective

Why?  Because you not only get some of the best HD gaming, you also get free online play, free access to PSN (downloads, Home, etc), you get the blu-ray player, free wifi, sixaxis (yes, it works and its cool), and all of the excellent exclusives.
    granted, free online is cool, but there nothing on the PS3 that i would say "theres no way in hell the 360 can do this!", Sixaxis, humm...

Now, I can see if you are a teenager or a young adult how you might be making a big penny stretch for a PS3.  And I can see that, that type of gamer may not get the full PS3 experience due to no HDTV, small living space, etc.
    My roommate does have a 40 inch HDTV, living space is a bit small(thats the trade off)

But for an older gamer, one who needs to enetertain many types and ages of people, it doesn't get batter than PS3.
    im not old

My PS3 is on, at least, 7 hours a day.  3 of those hours are my gameplay.  The rest is dedicated to my 1.5 year old son, wife, and other gamers in my home.
    lol, if my 360 does that, i will get another RROD lol.

Most of what I do with the PS3 can NOT be done on the Wii.  And some of it can't be done on 360 out of the box.
    Vice versa as well, Wii and 360 got stuff PS3 doesnt.

If you really look at the pricing of the 360 and the PS3 for what you get for what you need, PS3 is a great deal.
    There are lots of stuff in the PS3 i dont really need.

Try really enjoying an 360 without a HDD.  Try really enjoying your 360 when you have a large living space and you have no wifi.  Try sayig blu-ray is mediocre once watching them on a HDTV.
    Bluray is great, but got a blu ray player for it.

Then go try and fix those missing needs by spending more money on 360 than your initial investment.  Then realize you still have no blu-ray.
    im happy with a 60gb pro.

It is time, TC.  Get a PS3."
    Maybe..

PufferFiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#26  Edited By PufferFiz
    Mats said:
    "Sony has said that they will uppen the price on a lot of their products since the japanese yen has become less worth. I don't know if that includes the PS3."
    No it's Personal electronics ( like Tvs n'shit) they will not raise the ps3 price.

On kotaku there is a interview where this guy in europe said that they will NOT drop the price in spring ( hinted summer?). But it is worth it IMHO.
    But then maybe wait, might be some sweet bundels when those games come out.
    Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#27  Edited By Arkthemaniac

Haven't you heard? The PS3 is last in sales. Why would you want that?

AaronBelfast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#28  Edited By AaronBelfast

I don't think the PS3 gets enough credit in regards of value for money. $400 for a gaming console, wi-fi, blu-ray player and free online. If you were to include all those extras when buying a 360 (XBL annual subscription, wireless adaptor, HD player) it would be a similar price .

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#29  Edited By get2sammyb

There's never been a better time to get a PS3. Have you seen that '09 lineup? Exactly. Did you see that '08 lineup? Exactly.

"Zomg PS3 haz no gmaes!" It's a myth my friend. Those of us who dare, know. The PS3 is a phenomonal system; sadly it's become the pinata of video game systems.

shimbibby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By shimbibby

PS3 is fantastic. I have both 360 and PS3 and I do feel that both consoles are worth owning for their exclusives.
    PlayStation has Uncharted, MGS4, Motorstorm and Ratchet which are fantastic must-play games.
    I think that you might as well get the ps3 for Christmas because its a great console and you have the opportunity. Sure there might be a price drop, but thats uncertain. Unless you want to wait another 6-8 months to save maybe $100, get it for XMAS!!!
    The enjoyment you'll receive is definitely worth the price, as opposed to the months and months of waiting for a price drop.

Throne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Throne

Well are there any games you want for the PS3 right now? If not, then I'd say wait until the price cut comes which is probably going to be around March.

dsplayer1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 6

#32  Edited By dsplayer1010
    godemperor said:
    PS: is Home any good?"
    *laughs uncontrollably*
    But yeah, now is a good time to buy
    Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Hexpane

na0 or l8er?  U DECIDE!

Gameboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#34  Edited By Gameboi

Go for it. Why wait for a price drop, when you can enjoy it now? Plenty of worthwhile stuff to play.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#35  Edited By LiquidPrince

Yes, you should. You need to catch up on all the gamnes you missed like Uncharted: Drakes Fortune and so on. Home warrants merely a "meh". Not bad but nothing special so far.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
    deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dunno, since you already have a Wii60, a Blu-ray player and the games you are hyped for won't be out for awhile, I see no rush.
    Might as well wait for them to be released or an inevitable price drop while enjoying the Wii and 360 library.
    However, if MGS4 and Uncharted tickle your fancy then you might as well get it now. You'll get enough enjoyment out of those games which would even out whatever money you saved by waiting.

Home is a piece of shit though.

JamesF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#37  Edited By JamesF

Now's as good a time as ever.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#38  Edited By Red

With the wireless adapter, the PS3 and 360 cost the same amount, so if you're content with the cost of your 360, you'll be fine with the PS3. Definitely get it. Plus, for the start of the year the 360 and Wii have practically no lineup. Plus, LittleBigPlanet and R2. Don't get it for home though.

Bleh.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.