Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

So I want a PS3

wosifat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By wosifat

So, the main reasons I haven't bought a PS3 yet are price and backwards compatibility.  I do not have four hundred bucks to blow on a PS3, especially now that I'm unemloyed, and I have several PS2 games that I am still and have yet to play, and if I'm blowing so much on a PS3, I don't want to also have to keep the PS2 hooked up to the TV to play said games.
    That said, I definitely want to play God of War 3, Infamous looks awesome, and even though I've heard it overrated, I still want to play Heavenly Sword.  Home doesn't interest me much, but I'm into Achievements, so Trophys would probably also be cool to me.  And I really want a Blu-Ray Player, and I've heard the PS3 is one of the best around.  However, I don't have an HDTV yet, and I currently don't have a surround sound system, so I wouldn't get the full impact of Blu-Rays yet anyway.
    My question is, do PS3s hold up well enough to recommend getting a used one, or should I stick with new?  And what's the latest official word from Sony (not rumor) on bringing backward compatibility to newer consoles, and if the word is no, how hard is it to track down an older one that is backward compatible?
    I welcome all positive input and thank you for it in advance.

nanikore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By nanikore

If I remember correctly there was a post a few weeks ago about Sony having some news on backwards compability. Anyway, the Playstation 3 is very durable and rarely breaks, so getting a used one would be just fine. About the difficulty of finding an older backwards-compatible PS3, I have no idea.

FCKSNAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By FCKSNAP

Getting a used unit is OK, but some of the launch units are iffy (as always). Tracking down an 80gig that came with Motorstorm or MGS4 would be a good idea since only some of my games don't work correctly (or at all) and aren't as expensive used as the older units.

For an HD set-up, a computer monitor is good, and I own some 5.1 headphones which are excellent.

As for BC, they've stayed quiet, but the patent filing should be a good indicator, even if t hey don't announce anything at Cologne or TGS, Sony announces services and add-ons year-round, sometimes even stealthily through firmware updates on the blog.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By iam3green

it's good to buy a used ps3. they barely break. don't worry about surround sound and all that. i don't have surround sound on my HDTV. i don't think it's really all that needed.

there is a rumor of all ps3 are going to have backward-compatibility. i know u said u didn't want rumors but that is where i have heard.

if u want a ps3 to play ps2 games then ur going to have look around on eBay, craigslist for them. i don't think any of the newer ones are compatible with ps2 games. u would have to buy it used.

Anarchist4Eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Anarchist4Eva

Wait til you get a job and have a steady income. Im not saying don't buy a PS3, just make sure you keep priorities in order. A good all around investment for a home theater buff like me. But to truly appreciate it you need the minimum of an HDTV, 5.1 surround home theater setup, HDMI cables, etc. Just my opinion though.

ShadowKing7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ShadowKing7

As far as backward compatibility, I don't know about any news right now, but if you want one right now, your best bet is to hit up Ebay or maybe Amazon and search.  I got mine from Ebay 5 months ago and haven't had a problem yet. (Knock on wood)

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By mordukai

Make sure to buy a headset for the PS3. or if you have a blue tooth headset then just use that, anything. 

wosifat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By wosifat
    @Anarchist4Eva said:
    " Wait til you get a job and have a steady income. Im not saying don't buy a PS3, just make sure you keep priorities in order. A good all around investment for a home theater buff like me. But to truly appreciate it you need the minimum of an HDTV, 5.1 surround home theater setup, HDMI cables, etc. Just my opinion though. "
    I hear you, man!  I'll more than likely find a job before I buy a PS3.  I'm getting unemployment, and I went ahead and laid away a 360 to replace the one I'd just sold to pay the light bill, and I just recently got out, but I don't have many games on disc since I got rid of them when I sold my last system.  Have all the stuff I downloaded before, though, except I've been having trouble downloading Ninja Gaiden Black.  I had a VGA cable that I also sold with the system, and currently am making do with the composite cables plugged into a VCR hooked up to a really old RCA TV with the sound going to an oldSoundesign stereo with crappy speakers.  Was going to buy another VGA cable, but the monitor I was using died.  Want an HDTV, but that'll probably wait until I get a job as well.  Had a Dolby Digital receiver, but it died on me.  Probably look for a used home theater in a box, because I miss the sorround sound.
    @Mordukai said:
    " Make sure to buy a headset for the PS3. or if you have a blue tooth headset then just use that, anything.  "

Why do I absolute positively NEED a headset?

carlthenimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By carlthenimrod

Might as well wait for a price drop. There should be one this year. Just save your money and when they drop the price, spend the money you saved on another game or something.

dsplayer1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By dsplayer1010
    @wosifat: You don't really. There's not many people with headsets anyway.
    regularassmilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By regularassmilk

As far as durability goes, It'll most likely last.
    I think the failure rate is less than 1%.
    But I could be wrong.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

No matter what kind of console this generation, I would buy new, just because you have no clue of the problems if could have had before.
    Your best bet is to buy it new, I have never had a problem with my PS3 yet and it is over a year old now.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mordukai
    @dsplayer1010 said:
    " @wosifat: You don't really. There's not many people with headsets anyway. "
    Thats one of the major problems on PSN. unless you play with friends or with your clan then it's just a bitch trying to organize a cohesive attack when no one can hear you. Just last night I was playing Killzone 2 online and my side lost after leading the score 2-0 because we were not working as a team. 
    BobbyStrong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By BobbyStrong

I'll sell you my backwards-compatible 80gb Metal Gear Solid 4 bundle for a good price.  I also have an extra controller.  Send me a PM.

It's a pretty safe bet to buy a used one, PS3s have a laughably small failure rate, almost nothing compared to the RRoD.

The backwards compatible ones are damn near certainly:
    80GB Metal Gear Solid 4 Bundle
    80GB Motorstorm Bundle
    the old 20gb
    the old 60gb

There might be other ones, but if you're paging through Craigslist, those are the ones to look out for.

Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#15  Edited By Cerza

There's nothing wrong with going used. Just be sure to get something like GameStop 1 year replacement warranty so you can replace it no questions asked if something goes wrong with it. If you want the whole HD Home Theater experience thing I suggest waiting for when places like Best Buy or other electronic stores have the home theater deals. You can usually get the whole package from one of those things for a pretty descent price.

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Pibo47

Get a ps3 and go buy infamous and killzone 2. Then your set. I love those games.

Keeng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Keeng

I would say you NEED a headset simply to reduce the population of people who don't have them. Since SOCOM (which came with the official Sony headset) came out, the percentage of people voice chatting has increased. On that subject, in SOCOM 90% of the players use mics, but I digress. A mic is always a good investment if you're interested in online gaming on any platform. And don't forget you can use any USB or bluetooth mic with a PS3.

As far as actually finding a PS3...if you find a cheap, used one with BC, go for it. They're extremely reliable. On the other hand, the two strongest PS3-related rumors right now are backwards compatibility on all PS3s and  price drop by the end of the year. At the very least, I would suggest waiting until October-December to get one. IF there's a price drop, you won't feel like an ass for buying a console two months beforehand. Plus, if you wait that long, you can probably find the system even cheaper and all the games you want at a lower price as well. 
    ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ravensword

Thing is, the Price drop isnt realy a given this year because

A: SONY really is stubborn about there pricing and not too bright about it. THey make dumbass quotes saying stuff like "Our software will move our 400 dollar console" and this Gem of Wisdom hasnt worked squat yet. 

B: I honestly think that they believe they can still be Competitive and do well at 400 dollars, which is just Dillusion of Grandeur.

Keeng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Keeng
    @Raven_Sword 
    I agree that a price drop is certainly not a given. I disagree that they need to drop the price, though. PS3 isn't selling as well as 360 and Wii, but it's definitely selling. It's well into the realm of being a "success" already. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.