Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Sony Finally Read The Marketing Handbook I Sent Them

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

Edited By get2sammyb

Last night Sony finally, finally, finally put an advert on TV that actually communicates to the average consumer something that the Playstation 3 does. There's no exploding paint, dancing babies or Barbie dolls. Just a clean, clear slot that gets the point across.

*sarcastic clapping* Finally Sony, finally. Now can we have a series of these in the same style for: PSN, BluRay, the big exclusives (Mum's playing Singstar, Dad and kids playing LBP, mid-20's playing Killzone 2, etc) with a decent closing statement that simplistically gets across all the main advantages of a PS3. I dunno "Games, BluRay, Free Online". Anything like that. Cheesey, dumb and obvious.

JUST FUCKING RIP THE WII/iPHONE COMMERCIALS FOR GOODNESS SAKE. It's not hard.

Thank you Sony for finally showing that you read ADVERTISING FOR DUMMIES and put out something of relative merit.

Gah, I really, really wish Sony would employ me. I'd sort out at least their gaming division in a couple of months. (N.B. I probably wouldn't but I'd like to think I would).

*more applause*
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By get2sammyb

Last night Sony finally, finally, finally put an advert on TV that actually communicates to the average consumer something that the Playstation 3 does. There's no exploding paint, dancing babies or Barbie dolls. Just a clean, clear slot that gets the point across.

*sarcastic clapping* Finally Sony, finally. Now can we have a series of these in the same style for: PSN, BluRay, the big exclusives (Mum's playing Singstar, Dad and kids playing LBP, mid-20's playing Killzone 2, etc) with a decent closing statement that simplistically gets across all the main advantages of a PS3. I dunno "Games, BluRay, Free Online". Anything like that. Cheesey, dumb and obvious.

JUST FUCKING RIP THE WII/iPHONE COMMERCIALS FOR GOODNESS SAKE. It's not hard.

Thank you Sony for finally showing that you read ADVERTISING FOR DUMMIES and put out something of relative merit.

Gah, I really, really wish Sony would employ me. I'd sort out at least their gaming division in a couple of months. (N.B. I probably wouldn't but I'd like to think I would).

*more applause*
    zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By zitosilva

I just have a bad feeling it might be too late. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Emilio

But that'd be too casual! Where's my hardcore rated M for ADULTS chainsaws and exploding kidney stones?

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Arkthemaniac

Heh, that was a clever commercial.

MUCH, MUCH better than this one, sooooooo bad:

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By get2sammyb
    Arkthemaniac said:
    "Heh, that was a clever commercial.

"
    Oh God I never want to ever see that again.

Y'see, they nailed the whole "shock value makes people look" thing but they failed to ever justify a purpose. Sure everyone knows the Playstation 3 plays games but that told them fuck all about the product. You can get away with these kind of adverts when your system is dominating but when you're trying to break the market, to-the-point works best.

I can't believe Sony have only just realised this.

Personally I want to see a small PS3 price drop after Christmas, a year long advertising campaign like the one in the OP, and another smallish price cut in the holidays. That's what I'd do if I was Sony. I don't know how realistic it is.

For example if they dropped the price say: $50 (£27 or so) in February, marketed Killzone 2 as the "buddies, Mid-20's, late teens" game; used Killzone 2 to showcase the PSN along with LBP (family), Motorstorm (family), Singstar (the video thing: women and family) and Resistance (hardcore) and kept it consistent throughout the year it would be a good start for Sony. Then they could do another price drop holiday time of $65 or so putting the price down to just under $300 in US.

If that's feasible for Sony then they should totally run with it. Of course I'm sure the people in the jobs know more about this than me. I hope. Maybe.

Emilio said:
    "But that'd be too casual! Where's my hardcore rated M for ADULTS chainsaws and exploding kidney stones?"
    That's where Sony drop a bunch of "dudes" playing Killzone 2 and Resistance.
    Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
    deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Arkthemaniac said:
    "Heh, that was a clever commercial.

"

Haha, what the fuck was that?
    Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Hexpane

strangeling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 50

#8  Edited By strangeling

It seems Sony's strategy so far has been arrogance:  "We're Sony, buy our product."

Xandurson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Xandurson

Nice new ad they got there.

PremierOctopus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By PremierOctopus

You hit the nail on the head.

I went christmas shopping the other day, and in video game and electronics stores I continually overhear uninformed mothers and clueless relatives buying games for the young games concencus asking shop asisstants asking stuff like: "so zelda is on the playstation, right?" Judging that this represents the general uninformed public you get the feeling that the message isn't being received.

OVIOUSNESS IS THE KEY! The PlayStation 3 plays games, movies and music. The end.
    Manachild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Manachild

i personally thought this ps3 commercial was good too:

Not into saliva's music at all but i thought it suited the advert fine.
    Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By Rowr

yeh i liked the way that advertisement advertised games which where still years away. Even GT 5 hasnt been released fully.

Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Otacon

I think they are finally getting the idea.

KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#14  Edited By KamasamaK
    Manachild said:
    "i personally thought this ps3 commercial was good too:

"
    Yea, that one was good. Here are a couple that are a little more recent:

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By atejas

Now if only they would DROP THE FUCKING PRICE.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By get2sammyb
    Manachild said:

"
    I haven't seen that one. That's not bad actually. But here are the things it does wrong:

• Shows BluRay logo but doesn't explain what BluRay is.
    • Doesn't communicate that Playstation Network and playing online is free.
    • Shows the games but isn't obvious enough about them. "Look I'm playing Gran Turismo prologue with my buddies from school. We're having an awesome time while the Dark Knight is background downloading. When it's done we're gonna watch that. Then we're gonna play each other at Resistance 2 later with the free online" -- type of idea.

It's not a bad ad though. It just doesn't tell anyone anything that doesn't already know. Average person: "Oh look video games. I think that 360 does a similar thing but it's half price."
    Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
    deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Manachild said:

"

Oh, god. I worked at GameStop for most of the summer...I never want to hear that song again.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.