Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

The Playstation Store: Big Improvement

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Randolph

I'm a long time critic of the Playstation Store.  I dislike the lack of third party support, I dislike the "staggered release" strategy they've had so far, and I dislike the lack of PSone classics in North America. (and Europe, for my homies over there) But the last few weeks have been pretty cool.  The MGS4 database is a snazzy and unique companion to the actual game, the updates to Stardust HD have transformed it into a whole new game, we FINALLY got another actual classic PSone classic  in Rayman, and this Thursday we have Siren, which could be the best survival horror game in some time.  Even Eurogamer loved it, and those guys are way anal.  Also, we just recently got Elefunk, which has positive word of mouth, (and a five dollar price tag, which doesn't hurt) as well as getting 1942: Joint Strike this week as well.

Maybe they won't be able to maintain this momentum, maybe we'll see the next PSone classic in September, but right now, it's looking pretty good.  Siren is basically one of my most anticipated games for this year as a whole, and I rarely say that about a digital download title.

Pikachu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Pikachu

We could use alot more PS1 classics and better one at that note. I've seen the japan PSN store and they have some PS1 classics that would probably sell well if the were released in the U.S. and U.K. PSN store.

Avatar image for microwavedapple
    microwavedapple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By microwavedapple

I really wish I liked Siren, I could use something to play right now. But after the demo, I found the controls were wonky, the characters were stereotypes and they've got bad voice actors. It still managed to scare the poop out of me though. I'm looking forward to PixelJunk Eden download-wise.

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By RVonE

More PS1 games would be cool. But yeah, it's definitely getting there.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Randolph
    microwavedapple said:
    "I really wish I liked Siren, I could use something to play right now. But after the demo, I found the controls were wonky, the characters were stereotypes and they've got bad voice actors. It still managed to scare the poop out of me though. I'm looking forward to PixelJunk Eden download-wise."
    In other words, it's a survival horror game, lol.  I guess people would have a hard time getting into it, it's a bit of a throwback title that doesn't have many if any of the changes made to that sub genre recently.  It'll mostly appeal to the Fatal Frame and Silent Hill crowd.
    Juxiang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Juxiang

They certainly need more PS1 games. I think the Japanese store has over 200 while in the US the store is at like 26. And I swear half of those are Jet Moto...

And even though I shop through the US store, they need to cut down on the wait times for PSN games between the US and Europe. It's just ridiculous.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Randolph
    Juxiang said:
    "They certainly need more PS1 games. I think the Japanese store has over 200 while in the US the store is at like 26. And I swear half of those are Jet Moto...

And even though I shop through the US store, they need to cut down on the wait times for PSN games between the US and Europe. It's just ridiculous.
    "
    Well, we seem to all be getting Siren in a rather small time frame, that's encouraging.  The classics really are a sore point though, because Sony is the only one seeming to have such hard issues with classic games in these regions.  Nintendo hasn't got that issue, and even Microsoft manages an Xbox original or two every month.  So it's pretty infuriating to get one PSone game every three months at best, and it ends up being something like Jet Moto or Syphon Filter.  That classics feature has potential, I hope they manage to realize that outside of Japan one of these days.
    mrzeal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mrzeal

Yeah big improvement but still needs more PS1 games ( as most of you say ) and please, bring to Europe that video download service so I can convince my father that the ps3 wasn't just about the games! lol

Also, no diferences between regions please ( I get that japanese would buy more one game than a european or an american... but it's just sad ) because in Spain, Europe... I think that they refresh the site every 2 or 3 weeks... what's with that!?

Keep up the good work :)

thelastguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By thelastguy

I think the store is alot better.  It looks more clean and loads alot faster.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b3f096aee80a
    deactivated-5b3f096aee80a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Agreed, the PSN in general is looking good atm, PS Store is great, love the look and feel of i (better then XBLM IMO), video store added which has hella potential, and of course all the new PSN gamers coming out, truly original and awesome games, not just arcade game ports and whatnot.

Shinedown220

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Shinedown220

The store is infinitly better than it was when it launched. A much cleaner and easier to navigate store.

The content is getting better as well. We no regularly get demos, which wasn't something that happenned in the begginig.

Now the video store adds more content.

They do need to increase the rate of PS1 Classic releases. As well as new games.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TwoOneFive

i think they did a great job launching the video store. its already full of excellent movies- one complaint though, older movies should have a bigger price difference from newer ones

GleasonRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#13  Edited By GleasonRyan

i like how the ps store is good advertising of whats on the store. not like on Live Marketpace where they have ads for random stuff

Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 21

#14  Edited By Dolphin_Butter

The store a bit slow when loading as the video portion came up, but everything's all good now.  I just wish the store kept SDTV users in mind.

Chaos_Bladez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Chaos_Bladez

They just need more PS1 games. That's the only small gripe I have with the store.

Firelad43

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Firelad43

I really dont care to download games at all. I dont know why but a disc just feels good to me. Im really upset I didn't get warhawk on bluray but oh well.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Randolph
    Firelad43 said:
    "I really dont care to download games at all. I dont know why but a disc just feels good to me. Im really upset I didn't get warhawk on bluray but oh well.
    "
    I've embraced it rather fully, myself.  My current gen collection is well more than half downloaded titles, maybe closer to 90% in fact.
    Buzzer_Beater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Buzzer_Beater

The PS store has gotten way better than before.

I don't have a credit card to buy anything though, so I'm missing out on a bit.

demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#19  Edited By demonbear

I still cant believe Europe has C&C + C&C Red Alert and we don't. Tretton and his crew really have to start caring about releasing PS1 titles. Isn't it easy money for them?

naju890_963

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#20  Edited By naju890_963

but why do we need to give money foe such thing.

NinjaMunkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By NinjaMunkey

they need more downloadable games. I like the idea of having proper games to download like R&C QFB. they should put the whole MGS games up to number 3 on there, that would be cool, as a pack for around 15-20 pounds, including the really old MG games, I never played them.

Star67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Star67

if sony would release psn cards i would probably use the store. other than that it's a great service

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Randolph
    naju890_963 said:
    "but why do we need to give money foe such thing."
    Because the games take money to make, and if money is spent making games, but never recovered, then the games stop being made.

Star67, I agree.  back in April they said on the blog that the PSN cards were rolling out to retailers, but since then it seems no major national chain has gotten them, just random curb stores, military bases, and Mejier.  Which is pretty ridiculous over the course of three full months.  They need to mass produce those things, and get them into Wal-Mart and Gamestop for them to be effective at all.
    Sabious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Sabious

The PS Store has been getting better and better, a bit more content every week would still be nice though. I'd personally like to see more PS1 classics added, and maybe PS2 games in the future.

NinjaMunkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By NinjaMunkey
    Randolph said:
    "naju890_963 said:
    "but why do we need to give money foe such thing."
    Because the games take money to make, and if money is spent making games, but never recovered, then the games stop being made.

Star67, I agree.  back in April they said on the blog that the PSN cards were rolling out to retailers, but since then it seems no major national chain has gotten them, just random curb stores, military bases, and Mejier.  Which is pretty ridiculous over the course of three full months.  they need to mass produce those things, and get them into Wal-Mart and Gamestop for them to be effective at all.
    "
    It is annoying, I still cant get one in the UK.
    AndrewGaspar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#26  Edited By AndrewGaspar

I think PSN has the best original games. It's about quality, not quantity.

Ratchet and Clank Future: Quest for Booty, Fat Princess, Super Stardust HD, PAIN, Warhawk, Wipeout HD, Gran Turismo 5: Prologue, SOCOM: Confrontation, etc.

Philanthropy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Philanthropy

PS classics

NinjaMunkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By NinjaMunkey
    AndrewGaspar said:
    "I think PSN has the best original games. It's about quality, not quantity.

Ratchet and Clank Future: Quest for Booty, Fat Princess, Super Stardust HD, PAIN, Warhawk, Wipeout HD, Gran Turismo 5: Prologue, SOCOM: Confrontation, etc.
    "

I agreePSN has got some really great titles, there is nothing like that n XBL at all, but that pobably would not make sense though as not everyone has a decen hard drive...
    warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By warxsnake

i was excited for the video store but since i live in this shithole called Canada, I cant enjoy it. I wouldve been streaming movies all day long.

Met2609

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#30  Edited By Met2609

It should be easy to put up a PS1 classic, I mean they have tons in Japan. There are some good games that are coming out soon/later this year that are original and will help to set the PSN apart, such as PixelJunk Eden and Fat Princess. If they keep putting up good games, I'll be fine with the PSN. Also, if they keep updating the video store, I'll be even happier.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

AndrewGaspar said:
    "I think PSN has the best original games. It's about quality, not quantity.

"

I agree, I mean did you guys not see and read about Fat Princess!? My god!!
    Buzzer_Beater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Buzzer_Beater

lol we don't even have the video store here in Canada.

super_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#33  Edited By super_machine

I actually like the new video store, now all I need is a bigger HDD. :(

Clean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Clean

I wish they put up more PS1 games like MGS and Resident Evil. But instead I just download the eumlator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

super_machine said:
    "I actually like the new video store, now all I need is a bigger HDD. :(
    "

500GB baby! /bragging :P
    smallville123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#36  Edited By smallville123
    RVonE said:
    "More PS1 games would be cool. But yeah, it's definitely getting there."
    Defiantly.  Japan gets updates like everyday and has a bunch of ps1 games on their store.  Why shouldn't we?
    epic_pets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By epic_pets

Yea, its doing a lot better. I am actually spending more time online.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#38  Edited By LiquidPrince

PS store is a really good service considering that it's free.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.