Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Transferring videos to PS3 HDD?

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 31

#1  Edited By Forcen

Is it possible to put video files on a PS3's hard drive for viewing and storage? Specifically video files from a computer, not videos downloaded from PSN.

TheGodPoet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By TheGodPoet

Yes, it very much is possible. Just put your videos on a flash drive and plug it into your PS3 and copy it.

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Pazy

Yes you just have to put it on a USB stick (or PSP) and then go to the video tab on the XMB. It should list a USB drive (or PSP) which you press "Triangle" on and choose "view all" or something similer (with an all) which will let you navigate through your USB stick to where your video files are stores. When you find your video files you press "Triangle" and then "Copy".

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Forcen

I imagined that it worked like the Xbox and was read only for media. 

Can you copy them back from the ps3 after that? No issues storing bunch of video files on your ps3 hard drive?

Nightroad91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Nightroad91
    @Forcen:  There are no issues of doing so... I have plenty videos on my PS3's HD and everything is fine...  and yes, you can copy them from your PS3
                          just make sure you have the right file for the PS# because it does not play everything...
    spaceturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By spaceturtle
    @Forcen:
    AVI files are excellent for viewing on your ps3. But I dont think MKV files (blu ray) work, which is too bad I think. You should also check out the PS3 Media Server option. This software if instaled on your computer can stream video, image files and audio files directly from your computer to your ps3. If you have strong enough internet at home that is a great way to  watch movies on your ps3. Throught the Media Server you can also watch MKV files. I think there is some info on the Media Server stuff on Tested.com. Check it out, perhaps there is a guide there or something, at least I think I've seen it over there before.
    Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Forcen

Ok, that clears it up. Thanks everyone!

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By Marz

You can just make your PC a media server and stream files from it to your PS3 if you got a network setup.

yyZiggurat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By yyZiggurat

For some reason flash drives never worked for me so I just used a program called PS Media Tunnel to get music, pictures, and videos on my PS3.

KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#10  Edited By KamasamaK

The problem with using a USB drive is that it must be formatted in FAT32, and therefore file sizes cannot be larger than 4 GB which can easily happen when working with HD video. The two solutions I've found for this are splitting the files or I prefer transferring them over the network. I don't know how you would get files larger than 4 GB off of the PS3, though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.